Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:31:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogschronicle::deity - alternate history sidescroller [FIRST ART RELEASED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: chronicle::deity - alternate history sidescroller [FIRST ART RELEASED]  (Read 1446 times)
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »

chronicle::deity
12/12 - New build released: get it here
Grab old builds at chronicle::legacy

::about
chronicle::deity is a fantasy-infused action sidescroller focusing on rewarding mechanical prowess, while also telling an inventive alternate-history story, rich in lore and dense with interesting characters.

Underpinning the story is a world steeped in a strange discovery, forming the basis of society and modern science.

You play as a man who awakens in a far-reaching, veritable labyrinth of underground tunnels, where beasts that were once said to be men hunt deep below, where plague and sickness afflict those forced into hiding in these dank, subterranean halls, and where once a proud city reached into the sky far above you on the Surface, is now a haven for only a select few and a hell for those deemed unworthy. Your name is Anton.

::development
I'm trying something I haven't seen done to this extent before, and that is sharing the development of the game from absolute square one through Builds, styled as ::builds to fit thematically into the game's title. Currently 121216::build is released and available on my blog, however if you choose to grab it, you'll see what I mean by square one. Have a download and move the character back and forth. New builds will be available every Monday (Australian local time), I'm adding new features to the builds every week so that there can truly be a sense of growth over time.

I'm excited to share the process with you guys!

::latestMedia
Anton's idle animation

- Ryan  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:48:03 PM by rbargholz » Logged

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »

Update 1
I have a comparison between rooms from 221116::build and 051216::build to show the differences between the two builds.  Mock Anger

221116::build

051216::build

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:35:14 PM »

Update 2
051216::build Notes
System
  • Debug text added to display build version

Player tweaks
  • Behind the scenes, Player sprites have been expanded and now include a number of different states.
  • Player indicator added to check which way player is facing
  • Player will now face different directions depending on key press
  • Variable jumping has been implemented
              Note: Jumping is not smooth, but tap for smaller jumps, hold for higher jumps

Mob tweaks
  • Mob added to Room
  • Mob states have been added (Behind the scenes stuff)
  • Mob indicator added to check which way mob is facing

Environment
  • Room geometry added

051216::build will be released on https://rbargholz.itch.io/chronicledeity tomorrow at 7pm AEST (Midnight PST)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:55:54 PM by rbargholz » Logged

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »

Keeping the thread kicking, today in anticipation for the next build, I threw together a health bar that hangs above enemies. Smiley This week's plan is to get that health bar sliding, damage, an attack and killing the mob.

I'm working in GMS:1.X but I think at some point I'll definitely fork out the cash for GMS2, I used the free beta and loved it, so I'll definitely be migrating to that in the near future.

After you can kill a mob, I feel as if the game will really start to pick up speed and momentum.

Because movement is the biggest element of the chronicle::deity experience I want to get down, I've been doing research, and my current player movement code looks like this.

///Player Controller
//Define key bindings
var k_left  = keyboard_check(ord("A"));
var k_right = keyboard_check(ord("D"));
var k_jump  = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_space);
var k_jumpmax = keyboard_check(vk_space);

var spd_wanted = 0; //The wanted horizontal speed for this step (frame)
var facingLeft = -1;
var facingRight = 1;
if(k_left){
    spd_wanted -= 7;
    image_xscale = facingRight;
}
if(k_right){
    spd_wanted += 7;
    image_xscale = facingLeft;

}

if(k_jump && place_meeting(x, y + 1, obj_Collision))
{
    speed_y = -6;
}

if (speed_y < 0 && !k_jumpmax)
{
    speed_y = speed_y - max(speed_y, jump_force);
}

speed_x = spd_wanted; //Set the horizontal speed based on the wanted speed
speed_y += grav; //Apply gravity

//Horizontal collision
if(place_meeting(x + speed_x, y, obj_Collision)){
    while(!place_meeting(x + sign(speed_x), y, obj_Collision)){
        x += sign(speed_x);
    }
    speed_x = 0;
}
x += speed_x;

//Vertical collision
if(place_meeting(x, y + speed_y, obj_Collision))
{
    while(!place_meeting(x, y + sign(speed_y), obj_Collision))
    {
        y += sign(speed_y);
    }
    speed_y = 0;
}
y += speed_y;

I was hoping to start a discussion with other devs who use Game Maker on how to best implement really crisp feeling movement, where in hitting that A, D or Space key, what the player invisages is going to happen has already happened. Throw some ideas around and let's start a discussion.
- Ryan
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:42:26 PM by rbargholz » Logged

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:49:46 PM »

New coming in next week, a smooth camera to move around the longer test level.

I'm doing it by combination of the inbuilt Hsp and Vsp settings in GMS, as well as having the player initiate it's own instance of a camera object which follows the player in a little GML script.

To those playing along at home, my Vsp and Hsp settings are sitting at 7, and my little GML script just takes the x position of the player, subtracts the x of the View object every frame and then divides that number by 20 to change the rate at which the View object slows down.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:59:47 AM by rbargholz » Logged

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »

This thread reads like you tenderly whispering the secrets of development into my ear in the morning.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »

My man  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy. I'm glad you enjoyed the soft ear crooning enough to take the time to comment. Enjoy the thread! Are you using Game Maker Studio?

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:36 PM »

A man I know who is crafting the essence of our very own vid-con may be. I do not dare gaze into the room within which he dwells. Some secrets are not meant for the eyes of me, the common Armorman.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:10:30 AM »

Devlogs are where all secrets are spilt Armorman

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:11:57 AM »

Next build is up (get it here), new features added this week can be found in the build notes above!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:11:29 PM by rbargholz » Logged

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:08 PM »

You can now download old builds at chronicle::legacy, which will be updated weekly alongside chronicle::deity. Get 'em here.

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »

Update 3
Spent a good part of today working on hitboxes, as well as perfecting jumping around, and I think it's fair to say the hitboxes are looking pretty good. At the moment it's painting, but next step is to get the hitbox to create and destroy itself as it moves through space.

Movement is looking good, I'm pretty happy with the jumping and smashing speeds, finally got my wall jump working how I like it.

Finally, a bit of a scenario with a mob and a smash, which I think looks cool.

121216::build will be out on Monday, 7pm just like last week with these new additions.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »

Why does the game have a walljump

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »

At it's heart, the game is an action sidescroller, my aim is to make as many options available to a player as I can (a la Dishonored), and wall jumps can add a lot of spice to different situations that I feel would be lacking without!  Smiley I'm keen to know what your thoughts are on wall jumps! do you think many games need it?

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:03 AM »

Hello! I do not think any games need wall jumps. I think Megaman X is a good game probably  and if you aren't megaman x than seriously consider whether you are into just "giving the player a toolkit" or if there are other things these types of games could be doing. I think maybe level design would be better this decade if wall-jumping never existed. Goodbye.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:54 AM »

Armorman, I've decided to leave it for another time, maybe to be implemented later as an incentive to go back and take on levels again for secrets. Thanks for giving me an extra set of eyes and perspectives.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »

You're making your own game and you're still at early design, you should experiment all the available mechanisms and tools. just have fun trying different aspects.
Imo wall jumping is fine as long as it doesn't break your game or feels like it's implemented for the sake of having a wall jump.

Until you're fixed for the graphics and lore of your game, do what you like limitless.
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »

Get your hot builds (121216 is out)

Edit:
Next on the chopping block is the guts of the movement. I've started the process of hitboxes, but when I develop I tend to get sidetracked, and I've succeeded in making the smash move a lot more responsive, so there's that, and I've fixed the bug whereby if you hold control while moving, you lose control of your character (so there's that.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:36:58 AM by rbargholz » Logged

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »

I worked on Anton today, got his sprite working, but I'll continue to tweak it and change how he looks, because I'm not too happy with his coat.

Here is his base sprite

Anton's sprite will be available in the 191216 build.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic