Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:00:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFury Unleashed - a roguelite platformer shooter set inside a comic book
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fury Unleashed - a roguelite platformer shooter set inside a comic book  (Read 2592 times)
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »

Badass Hero is a roquelite platformer shooter set in a comic book universe. The game features fast-paced hit and run gameplay, procedural generation of levels and random items that make every playthrough different! All in extremely polished, modern and high-resolution 2D art.

In Badass Hero you shoot enemies with various guns while avoiding projectiles, traps and obstacles. Collect ink from defeated enemies to upgrade your hero. Play dynamically and aggressively and take risks like a badass to get greater rewards! Stay focused at all times or you'll die sooner than you think. Become proficient with your character's skills and master each enemy to succeed!

Trailer:

Features:
  • Comic book setting
  • Action platforming with 360 shooting
  • Procedurally generated levels
  • Customizable character
  • Permadeath with character progression
  • 3 unique worlds with total ~40 bosses
  • 100+ collectible items and guns

GIFs:

GAMEPLAY

Core gameplay boils down to shooting enemies with various guns while avoiding projectiles and traps, however we put a lot of effort to make it as dynamic and fast-paced as possible.

We've built several systems into the game that reward you for taking risks and taking out enemies aggressively rather than playing cautiously, like combo timer which provides powerful bonuses if you kill enemies quickly enough.

COMIC BOOK WORLD

The game references comic books in many ways – the map is a comic book laying on a desk, each level is a separate comic frame, each setting of the game is another issue of the comic book, the characters speak in comic bubbles etc.

You are able to create your own badass hero, choose his weapons and powers, so you can effectively eliminate tons of enemies, including over 40 epic bosses, on your way through three unique settings. Collect more than 100 items from various issues of the comic book series to increase your chances to be successful in your mission!

PLAYER PROGRESSION

You progress in the game on two layers. One is character progression – whenever your character dies, you can upgrade him using ink gained from killed enemies.

Other is your skill – you learn how to play better, figure out enemies behaviors, find out which items are the best and how to use them.

The benefit of such design is that it adapts to your skill level – the only difference between skilled and less skilled players is that they will progress a bit slower, but will still be able to enjoy the game.

DEVELOPMENT

At the moment we've been developing the game for almost two years and we intend to release it in Q3 2017. Target platforms are PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4. We'll post important news here, but you can also follow us on Twitter and facebook:
Twitter: @AwesomeGamesStd
facebook: @AwesomeGamesStudio
You can also add the game to your Steam Wishlist: http://store.steampowered.com/app/465200/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:41:27 AM by Madras » Logged
sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »

Hey, the game looks pretty cool, will you be needing more music for it? If so I would love to help out, you can check out my portfolio here: www.sbeastmusic.com/portfolio

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »

The animations, projectile sprites, and enemy hit reactions all make the game look fast, meaty, and a ton of fun to play. Are you considering local co-op? This is exactly the (geeky) party game my friends and I would enjoy!

Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:01:41 AM »

@sbeast: Thank you for your offer.

@TheWanderingBen: Thanks! We'd love to have co-op in our game, but we really need to get this out this year, and we'd have to do a lot of redesigning to implement it. We're just three guys working on this game and we don't want to have too much on our plate  Wink.
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:11:18 AM »

Loving the visual effects!!  Kiss

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »

It's been a while since I posted here, but it doesn't mean we didn't work on the game ;-). We're actually preparing for launching the game on Early Access on Steam. As we have heard some comments that the game has a mobile look - both from publishers, other developers and gamers - we've decided to return to work on the basic look of the game. The result is a transition from this:

To this:

I don't know what's your opinion, but after we played the new version for a few days we can't look at the big heads of the old version ;-). Other than that we've reduced size of enemies, obstacles and decorations, and zoomed out camera a little, so that there's a bit more space on the levels.

We've also added intro, some placeholder background music, and most important we've proceeded with the second comic book - a secret World War II Nazi military base:

If you have any feedback about the visual changes or anything else we'd be happy to hear it!
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:04:20 AM »

Looks like a good platformer!

Twitter ••• Facebook
bitbulldotcom
Level 2

#indiedev since the #zxspectrum days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:23:54 AM »

It's been a while since I posted here, but it doesn't mean we didn't work on the game ;-). We're actually preparing for launching the game on Early Access on Steam. As we have heard some comments that the game has a mobile look

We got that exact feedback from people on '

'. Personally I thought the comments were ridiculous.

Then we took it to mobile publishers and they said it played and felt too much like a pc/console game. You can't win!!

Take feedback with a pinch of salt I say - follow your own instincts and vision. I don't know what 'looks like a mobile game' even means.

Your game looks great by the way - and it seems like you haven't really changed the art style, more reduced the sprites in relation to the screen real-estate which does seem to be appropriate for larger resolution screens. Good luck with it!

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »

Everything looks so smooth! Graphics and gameplay, loved the effects.

Colors also feel very alive.

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:15:18 AM »

If you have any feedback about the visual changes or anything else we'd be happy to hear it!

I think it looks a bit better zoomed out, especially the proportions of the main character. Also the second comic book looks interesting so far! Have you made much progress with the music side of things, as my offer still stands.  Grin

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »

Your game looks amazing. The design and animations are all so smooth.

Awesome job!
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:34 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! We're aware that you always need to take it with a pich of salt, but when you hear the same opinion from independent sources then you need to seriously think about it. In our case it looks that we didn't see the elephant in the room because it was there for so long!
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 05:21:50 AM »

It's been a while since we've posted here, but we've just made a huge post on Imgur about procedural generation of levels in Badass Hero. You can check it out here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Fc3ZA

We've also recently released the third comic book update, here's its trailer if you'd like to take a look:

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 04:31:59 AM »

Just checked out the trailer and it looks really great so far!
Not sure what the song is but it sounds kinda familiar. It's good but I don't think it fits with the visuals. I can help compose something if you would like?

Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:06 AM »

Just checked out the trailer and it looks really great so far!
Not sure what the song is but it sounds kinda familiar. It's good but I don't think it fits with the visuals. I can help compose something if you would like?
Thanks! Yeah it's a stock music, that's because our budget is rather tight so we use what we can get for 50 bucks Smiley.
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »

Hi there,
we've made another imgur post about how we make bosses in Badass Hero - here's the link:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Q0Kb1

And a GIF sneak-peek:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:12:30 AM by Madras » Logged
Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »

And here's another one:
https://imgur.com/gallery/zE74cOT

Madras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 12:39:19 AM »

Hi everyone,
we have a big announcement Badass Hero is now Fury Unleashed. We've decided to change the name due to negative feedback we've been receiving and issues with social media's profanity filters. We've also just announced that the game will have local co-op added, and will feature music by Adam Skorupa and Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz, composers who did soundtracks for The Witcher, Bulletstorm and Shadow Warrior 2. Also, the game will leave Early Access in early 2019. And here's a new trailer:

Lily
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »

Doesn't look at all like a comic book to me.
I'm aware they come in many shapes and forms (and art styles - I have some great one-off hand-painted comics).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic