Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:53:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDecknight - Card-based roleplaying game [Android]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Decknight - Card-based roleplaying game [Android]  (Read 5929 times)
ldurniat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 03:57:23 AM »

I'm going to wait for some feedback and the final translation to publish the game. As usual any feedback is more than welcome.

I have tested new version (beta) of your game (on my tablet with Android, not web version)Smiley I put below some thoughts about it:

1. Right before fight I can see red strip(that with 'fight' word on it) in left side of screen for short period of time,

2. What do green shield mean during fight?  I thought it reduce attack to zero so I get no damage but sometimes get damage,

3. Not all description of cards (bottle with something. I don't remember what exactly) was visible when I get it from lady in white but it was visible during fight if I hold finger on it. As I remember word 'combat' was missed.

4. Maybe try organize arrows and icons (during fight) in way they do not overlap.

5. Maybe try add description of enemies during fight after hold finger on head of enemy Just like you do with weapons etc.,

6. It happened that I got several times the same armor or weapon again and again. Each after other.

7. Maybe change start and end transition of word 'fight' before fight so it behave in the same manner.

8. I notice small and thin green rectangles on all edges of enemy icons like jaws or shield.

I tried write in simple way because  my english is not advanced but I'm still improving myself Smiley

ldurniat  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:35:49 PM by ldurniat » Logged

Enrik
Level 0

At the mountains the Dark Castle waits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »

Thank you both msilver and Idurniat! Your feedback is really appreciated.

I'm going to anwer your comments by parts.

Quote from: msilver
-> Some grammatical errors, you might want to check it over once more.
Yes, I know that. The actual English translation isn't the final one and a full new translation is on course.

-> It would help to identify your character by making him closer to the bottom that way it is a bit more clear who you are.
Well, if you read the full thread you can see that it has been already changed once but I have been thinking about it and I think I have a very simple solution. First of all I'm going to change the position of the portraits to the original one. Left for the player and right for the enemy and with just a little modification of the interface I think it'll be more clear in the next update. It's a problem that have been mentioned a lot of times before but I tend to forget about it because most of the players only experience it the first time until they get accustomed to the interface. Thanks for your fresh feedback!

-> Some of the choices that pop up randomly are a bit arbitrary, "which sword do you choose?" Its just a guess so it doesn't feel good to make that choice. Think of FTL, all the choices don't feel arbitrary even though you never know what exactly will pay off until you have played the game a lot.
I think I know the card you are referring to. The truth is that it is a very exceptional one and there's no other options because it's an only win card. I mean, there's no possible bad decision here. Most of the cards (almost all of them except the obligatory combats) give the player the "Continue" option that allow the player to just ignore the encounter.
Anyway, if you remember or find another card where you find that problem please let me know about it. Most of the options in the cards are very easily modifiable.

-> There is an option to "get" and an option to "continue" on the loot screen and its not clear what the difference is. I'd just make it continue and auto pick up the loot till inventory is full. If the inventory is full pop up a screen to choose what to drop with the default being the new item.
The "continue" option is consistently used during all the game to allow the player to skip the encounter and leave the place. That's why I let it there even if it's not the best text for some cards. Maybe I'll change it in the final translation but I think it's now the best option... maybe a "leave" text.
I think the autoloot option is not a good idea here because very often the equipment is worse than the player equipment or the player don't want that loot. With the autoloot I think I'll be more frustrating  to the player than the "just press continue" action they can do now.

-> It might be nice to take a break from the one kind of screen layout you have going there. I know you are on a budget but some overworld shots explaining where you are or a map could break up the monotony a bit if it shows what region you are in. Just after each victory a screen with a map and a curvy line showing your progress would be good. Make it clear how far along you are every so often.
The map is a very popular petition lately. I have been thinking a lot about it and I have an idea almost done for that. The main problem is that I'm not fully convinced about how to integrate it and where to put that map. The best option in my opinion is to put it in the "help" menu because it's at just one click (well, it's really two) and make it pop in after each zone is finished with a little animation that shows the movement throught the world. I have to work on it yet and I'm open to new ideas but there will be a map in the next update for sure because a few testers have mentioned too that they want to know how much they have achieved and how much left to the end of the deck.

-> I died pretty easily in my first run. Most people will not like this and it didn't seem like I could have avoided it. Can I rest? Can I run from a goblin? If so idk how to.
Well. Everybody dies too quickly the first games. The roguelike part of the game and the random component make that almost inevitable. I tried to make the first deck very very easy without making it boring for an experienced player. I can try to make a trick in the first combats to make them easier (you mentioned FTL and they do that very well with the first combats of a game) but the truth is that most of the players get the idea after 3 or 4 deaths.
Btw, you can only rest in the cards that give you that option and there's no option to escape once you are in a combat. You only recover 1 health each time you advance a card (or more with some objects or spells)

-> I like the battle music!
Thank you! There's one song for each deck. That makes a total of 5 music pieces. I'll probably add one more before the next update. My main problem here is that the music demand some space and I can't do them too large to avoid a big size for a mobile game.

That's all. Thank you very much msilver for the detailed feedback. It helped a lot. I must supose you played the game on android?

Idurniat. I'll answer you in another post later. This one is very large. But I think that most of the problems you encounter where on an old version I updated to the web game. They must be solved now.

Enrik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 03:00:02 AM »

Hi Idurniat. Sorry for the late answer. I just saw this part of your comment:

I have tested new version (beta) of your game (on my tablet with Android, not web version)Smiley
The points number 1,3,4,7 and 8 are all caused for the same problem. The screen size.
I haven't made much testing on tablets so I really appreciate your feedback because it helps me to check tablet compatibility.

I solved the point number 3 but I still don't know exactly what the other problems are. If you can help me with a screen capture it would help me a lot. otherwise, do you have black borders to the right and left? do you play with the screen in portrait position? is the visible part of the screen higher of wider?

The point 8 is a known issue and is due to the low quality of some images used for the buttons. I think I can solve it without improving the app size too much.

About the other points:

2- The shield reduces the damage by the amount in the description, but not all the damage. You can see for example the description of the BUCKER that says "75% prob. block 1 HP" so you only block 1 Hit Point of the attack and the rest is damage for your character. I have to do some balance to the shields (especially the ones of the lower levels) because they seem to be too weak compared to other weapons. I'm open to ideas here of course.

6- That's something that can happen sometimes. The loot is randomly chosen and sometimes, with bad luck, you can get the same item several times. I'm planning to add more objects, spells and weapons in the future so I hope that helps to avoid too much repetition.

Thank you again for the help, I seems I have to work more on the tablet compatibility of the game.

ldurniat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

If you can help me with a screen capture it would help me a lot. otherwise, do you have black borders to the right and left? do you play with the screen in portrait position? is the visible part of the screen higher of wider?
I don't have black border in any direction. I play game in portrait position and it occupy all screen. I have reached Lake level 2 or 3 times. Each time I encounter knight which is much powerful than me so I have never win:(

Enrik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

New beta version uploaded!!!

Added a map that you can see at any moment in the help screen and it’s shown at the end of the deck. At the map, you can see the visited cards and the steps until you get to the final card.

I changed again the position of the player and enemy in the combat screen (player left and enemy right) and added a visual tip (some kind of arrow) that makes it clearer what is the player portrait and the enemy one.

Fixed some of the errors that Idurniat mentioned in big screens (like tablets).
Now the icons and arrows must be properly scaled in the combat screen and the object description must be visible in all screen sizes.

There’s some other changes like more items variety and some shield stats changed. I hope you like the new balanced weapons.

Like before I really appreciate any kind of feedback and criticism. All the opinions are very useful and can help me to make a better game. Thank you to all the people that has commented in the thread!

The new MAP SCREEN!

PS. The new version is only available in the Google Play Store The web version is not updated yet.

ldurniat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »

I play it several times and I consider it harder than previous version:( I fight with no more than 3 enemies before die in single play each time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:19:55 PM by ldurniat » Logged

Enrik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »

Hi Idurniat. Sorry I haven't seen your message before. I think you just had very bad luck because the game difficulty hasn't changed. The only change that affects difficulty are the changes in the Shields stats and they affect both the player and your enemies...

Enrik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »

New beta version uploaded!!!

Most of the typos and errors in the English text must be solved now. If you find any error or typo I'll really appreciate you tell me the card where you found it!

I added intro logo screen and improved some screen transitions for this version. Also, several bugs have been fixed.

Like before I really appreciate any kind of feedback and criticism. All the opinions are very useful and can help me to make a better game. Thanks to all the people that has commented in the thread!

Play free at Google Play

Btw, there is a new website available if you want to take a look.

http://www.luragames.tk/

Any opinion about the website is also useful!!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic