Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:35:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSnakeFill - Simple puzzle game that stimulates abstract thinking
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SnakeFill - Simple puzzle game that stimulates abstract thinking  (Read 617 times)
Kirsmarie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »

SnakeFill is a simple, but often challenging puzzle game. The objective is simply to fill out all the boxes in the square while starting and finishing at two fixed cells. You can always move to the neighbouring cells if they’re empty, and in addition to that, you can move through the walls to the other side of the square - the exact rules for how this works varies across the levels. In order to beat all the levels, you will have to learn how to visualize patterns in more and more abstract ways.

SnakeFill is still undergoing active development, and all feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks Smiley

Link to my game: http://gamejolt.com/games/snakefill/213669
Legendre60
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »

Neat idea, I had fun with it. I'd like to see an alternate control scheme that uses arrow keys (or WASD, whatever) instead of the mouse. That seems far more intuitive since you can't click on squares that you aren't adjacent to anyway.

I also think that the player should be placed on a light (traversible) square initially, as the current layout is a little confusing at first. Related: the way traversed squares change to the darker color is also confusing. I'd rather just see my path illustrated without changing the color of the squares. This would also help me to visualize what I did wrong on a given iteration and plan for my next attempt.
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »

Type A was great - I really like the concept.  For the other types the non-intuitive boundary crossing just was not satisfying - it just seemed like hard work.  I would stick with type A and add other game elements to increase the difficulty, such as time constraints, or perhaps a leader board on speed runs for randomly generated levels.

Kirsmarie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »

Thanks for taking time to give feedback! I agree with your suggestions for improvement, and will try and implement them over the weekend  Coffee
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic