Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:27:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHot Ninja Moon Black
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Hot Ninja Moon Black  (Read 8953 times)
medieval
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:59 AM »

i want test.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »

Considering how many people want to test, it might be more efficient to just post the beta (alpha?) on the thread.
You'll get more feedback and bug reports this way too.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

hey, peeps, there's something new going on.

new color scheme, BOSSES (fuck yeah, bosses), weird save system

big picture follows

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 02:47:40 AM »

I like the new colour scheme, maybe you could have different coloured backgrounds in each set of levels (if that's how it's structured).
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »

Update Two

for some reason i've been uncharacteristically hardworking this weekend.  mokesmoe is right so the builds will be made public.  just need to finish first bosses animations, and i'm tired Tired

i'm sorry for the holdup.  finals.  the whole lot.

but anyways, this is the first release.  here.  sans sound, bosses, and 42 additional levels.  it is planned that for every 7th room is a boss.  once a boss is defeated, an opening will appear in the menu room (thank you, yu).  there's infinite lives for you.   z to jump.  at the menu walk right to begin.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 02:17:48 PM by professordead » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »

I think I remember this!

(or the game before that)

Can't wait to play this one  Cool
professor cake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

Just played the new demo. It's fantastic.

http://iconicghosts.blogspot.com/

in reality, we are just a game-making, two-headed flying bitch bear raining baby cakes upon the hapless evil-doers.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »

It's fantastic.

Giggle

it's rough, really rough.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »

The games pretty good.  Hard, of course.

I have a couple of issues though.

I noticed a bug that makes it so that you can jump higher if you do you second jump right after starting your first jump rather than at the peak of it.  This seems weird and I assume it wasn't intentional.  In theory, you should be able to jump highest if you do your double jump at the peak of the jump rather than just pressing the jump button twice in quick succession.

Also, I don't like the lives system.  This game is very difficult and also based on trail and error.  I know right now it allows you to go into negatives, but if it didn't this game would be close to impossible.  I would suggest instead to have a tries system, that keeps track of how many times the player died on each level.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

I find the double jump being added to one's vertical speed rather than substituted for it kind of awkward and disorienting. I'll be falling and press double jump expecting him to pop back up but it seems like he just keeps going. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on there - I thought the jumping was stopping working randomly.

I think I beat it - it seems to have just stopped on the life display? Found it much much easier than the first HNM but since you're planning so many levels it's cool.

The mixed resolution is kind of...well I don't like it.

I do like the little secret bonus things though, they're awesome. I think got them all the second time through.

Great stuff.

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »

Also, I don't like the lives system. I would suggest instead to have a tries system, that keeps track of how many times the player died on each level.

it's awkward at this point because you don't see the consequences.  wait.  i mean.  nevermind.  it's staying.  it goes with the hidden pickups.  every 400 points you get an added life.  that was not in the demo.  it works because you only have to survive six levels + 1 boss before the game "saves."  it works a lot like spelunky in that regard.

I find the double jump being added to one's vertical speed rather than substituted for it kind of awkward and disorienting. I'll be falling and press double jump expecting him to pop back up but it seems like he just keeps going. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on there - I thought the jumping was stopping working randomly.

the longer you are in the air the less you can redouble your efforts.  i thought it was a nice effect.  but is it that bad?  i'll remember this once the levels increase in complexity.

The mixed resolution is kind of...well I don't like it.

most noticeable with the spikes?  or just everything in general?

thanks a bunch Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 08:23:07 PM »

yesh it's most noticeable in the spikes, but I still find it kind of unattractive overall.

The Jumping thing may be something to play around with, I think. Personally I'd prefer it if the double jump had a constant power so you could make more precise jumps. If you do keep it how it is, though I think you might want to put a note about it somewhere in the game though, or force people to jump while going down in the first few levels in a non-deadly situation so people know exactly how jumping works, you dig? I'm thinking that for this to be a precision-jumping game the player's got to know exactly how the character moves, preferably before they need the character to move in any specific way.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »

i like the orange liquid on black background a lot!

the games kinda boring to me.. i was expecting something crazier actually

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »

i like the orange liquid on black background a lot!

ojay

the games kinda boring to me.. i was expecting something crazier actually

that's okay with me as long as you play the next update.  remember, this lacks so much.  thoughts on the second jump?

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

I'll echo what the others were saying about the double jump. While it's cool that you can really pop up high if you time it early enough, for this kind of game I think a more consistent second jump will make it less frustrating in the long run.

Also, I wish the spikes were a bit more noticeable from the rest of the environment. I'm not sure if it's due to the mixed resolutions or not, but I had to constantly rescan the environment to remember what was where. Not that they need to be bright red or anything, but it would be nice if the spikes were a bit more discernible at a glance.

One last thing, totally personal preference tho. Because the intro scrolls, I was mildly disappointed when I realized the game was single screen. When the environment in the title sequence passed by and you gained control of the character, the very first thing I wanted to do was go back and explore what was to the left.

Good stuff, looking forward to the next release

medieval
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 12:45:12 AM »

I found the inconsistent second jump hella annoying. It definitely needs to be an absolute value.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 04:34:23 AM »

The jumping had me confuzzled and thus annoyed, resulting in the esc key being pressed. In my opinion, rework it a little or explain how it works. And also the spikes were a little difficult to make out from the environment for me also. Other then that it looks an interesting game with some potential.  Gentleman
medieval
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »

And also the spikes were a little difficult to make out from the environment for me also. 

In my opinion it actually adds to the game's charm
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »

I find that the jumping is fine, but the horizontal movement is hard to use, you don't have enough friction to slow down by yourself, but enough acceleration to send your self the other way if you tap backwards. (Air movement, ground movement is fine) This makes it very hard to land on small platforms/gaps between spikes. I think you need to add more horizontal friction.
I do prefer absolute jumping too, but I don't mind relative.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic