Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:46:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTFCQ - A new kind of Card Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TFCQ - A new kind of Card Game  (Read 19717 times)
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »

Weekly card reveal (27 of the 100+ cards)
Read the thread for more details on the specific cards.

Links to explenation
#Week 49 cards | #Week 50 cards | #Week 51 cards
#Week 52 cards | #Week 01 cards | #Week 02 cards
#Week 03 cards | #Week 04 cards | #Week 05 cards

In a nutshell:
A PVP Card Battling game with Memes!

In a nutsack:
Are you a fan of fast paced card games like Uno? Love playing Magic but the rules are too confusing? Laugh at your own jokes in Cards against Humanity but your opponents look at you funny?
Behold - Troll Face Card Quest!

The Game where all your favorites Memes deliver a shitstorm upon your opponent. DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO ?

Platforms:
Initially Google Play & iOS

Who are you guys?
International conglomerate – EvilCorpInc. Just kidding – we’re a group of studios building on the back of a mega-uber-rockin’-steamin’-rad-awesomely successful Troll Face Quest franchise on mobile with over 60 million installs. These games got mad skillz with YouTubers and have been covered by the likes of PewDiePie, JackSepticEye and Markiplier.

Why this game?
A match made in heaven bringing Memes and Card collecting /battling together...  We fell in love with the idea and have spent months working really hard on it.

Why are you doing a DevLog?
1)   We believe that by involving awesome people like you early, we can build a better and more balanced game.
2)   We couldn't resist sharing the love for this game

What can I expect from this DevLog?
By following this DevLog you can be one of the first to play Troll Face Card Quest and be part of our epic journey to awesomeness. Also memes, lots of memes in all shapes and sizes.

ATTENTION!
You may experience side effects such as:  awesomeness, giddiness, sudden bouts of fart jokes and general feeling of euphoria. Join at your own risk.

Blog
Post #1 The game explained
Post #2 A hard decision
Post #3 Avatars
Post #4 The FTA effect
Post #5 How to motivate the players

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:41:10 AM by Smerik » Logged

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »

I'm honestly surprised you made it to second page without a first reply...
This seems genius! (and I'm not even a meme guy)
Anyways best of lucks with this project seems like something that could be quite fun!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:26:44 AM »

I'm honestly surprised you made it to second page without a first reply...
This seems genius! (and I'm not even a meme guy)
Anyways best of lucks with this project seems like something that could be quite fun!

Thanks! We hope it is, anyways we are having way to much fun coming up with cards and testing the mechanics Smiley

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:24 AM »

Super into the loose sketch artstyle you've got going on here. Very fun!
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:39 AM »

Super into the loose sketch artstyle you've got going on here. Very fun!

Thanks this is done by a very talented artist!
Check out his portfolio: http://deadhead0.tumblr.com/

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:37:53 AM »

Our first Draft

The game explained
This is one of the first draft images ever made for Troll Face Card Quest, back when the project was still called ‘Troll Face Card Game’. I know, I know, we went totally nuts with the name…

Player Objective
The objective of the player is very simple - bring your opponent’s health points to zero.
Damage dealing works in two ways – either through the assigned damage dealing points of the Meme or through their wacky abilities that unlock once the card is played.

Placing Memes
Every turn you are allowed to place one Meme provided there is a free position on the board but there is a timer so you better be fast.
As you can see in the draft there are three Meme lanes. We brainstormed for weeks and after some blue sky thinking and idea showers we think we came up with the best names for them: Left / Mid / Right.

Attack Phase
At the end of your turn the Attack phase is triggered automatically and the Memes fight from left to right. We are still unsure if this should be a global left to right or a player’s turn perspective left to right (FEEDBACK WELCOME).

If your meme is facing an opponent’s meme during the Attack Phase, we do some-very-heavy-we’re-talking-quantum-physics-level-algebraic-calculus and the card’s Attack Points are deducted from the other card’s Health Points. Overkill damage on Memes doesn’t leak to the player by default, so if you deal more damage than the Meme’s health, the remainder is lost in the meme ether.

Is your Meme not facing any Memes? Great, you’re dealing damage directly to the opponent!

Turn loop
Simple: Player Start → Draw Meme(s) → Place 1 Meme (AND OR) End Turn → Attack Phase.

Rage Bar
Check out the draft again, on the left of it you can see a RAGE bar. This can either f**k you up or save your ass. When you lose a Meme or you get attacked directly, your rage bar fills up like me at an endless sushi buffet. When the meter is full you can trigger Rage Mode!

The scientific name for Rage mode is “Rubber Band mechanic”, similar to what you may have seen in Mario Kart - when you’re getting owned, this is your chance to turn the tide. Rage Mode will unlock three Rage Effects of which you can pick one (the Rage Effects are randomly selected from a pool).
These can be anything from a complete board wipe, instant heal, massive player damage and many more!
It’s completely RNG but we are balancing the game so that it’s not a guaranteed win when you trigger Rage. (This is still heavily being tweaked, FEEDBACK WELCOME).

Meme Deck
Your Meme deck holds 20 Memes, and you can have a maximum of two of the same Memes in your deck

Hand
You start your game with 3 cards in your hand but you need to (always) draw a Meme first before you can place one, so you really start with four Memes. You can have a maximum of five Memes in your hand. Any Meme drawn when you already have five cards in your hands is immediately discarded. Also if there are no cards left to draw, you will burn lives.

WAKE UP! Ok, good.

We covered most of the game mechanics so here is your reward for reading, you brave badass you!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:35:09 AM by Smerik » Logged

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:05:06 AM »

This idea seems awesome!! I am already loving it, This idea even could have a chance of merchandising by becoming it a board game or so

Keep the good work guys  Toast Left

Currently working on: Matter -> Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:23:40 AM »

I'm very excited to showcase the first 3 official cards!

Troll Face is a Normal Type meme and looks very weak from the first glance, however in combination with the Troll Dancer, a Trigger type meme, it is a deadly combo. Trigger memes have effects that trigger on specific 'triggers' that are mentioned in the memes description. Trigger type memes also have an obvious warning border that will make sure you check out what your opponent is playing.
In total we will over 100 memes in the game and 4 different meme types, so.. stay tuned for more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:29:15 AM by Smerik » Logged

Maurice [Tiny Roar]
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 07:42:38 AM »

Hey guys.
Maurice here. I am the Game Designer of Troll Face Card Quest and Erik asked me to give some more insight into the process of how cards were designed and how we did come up with certain Effect- and Meme-Combinations.

A lot of inspiration came from the infamous Magic the Gathering Expansion "Unglued" and of course recent mobile CCGs like Hearthstone. While Hearthstone´s "Goblins vs Gnomes" was loved and hated to equal parts by the community, we tried to figure out what made these Expansions of the traditional Card Games stand out.
The essence boils down to fun and whacky use of RNG (random number generator).
While in Magic and Hearthstone the moment when you shot yourself into the foot, felt like a heartbreak we wanted it to feel awesome and hilaroius in our game.

When we discuss cards I always push our design philosophy to aim for "Strategical RNG". But what does this mean?
I basically want to say that most of the cards CAN blow up in your face, but if you combine them properly you might actually trigger epic situations.

Take Spider-Troll for example:
He is a really shitty card at first glance. And filling up your deck with even more Spider-Trolls make this card seemingly unplayable. But what would happen if you actually play a deck that forces the player to draw cards all the time? While you are building up a deck that basically never runs out of cards, your opponent burns out of cards. And what if there would be a card that forces your opponent to trade hands with you? It would be a shame if he would get a handfull of 1/2s for his strong 4/4 cards...  Well, hello there!

We decided to use the friendly neighbourhood Troll since his use as a Meme reflected this card effect perfectly: In forums people like to spam Memes from the old (and rather crappy) 60s cartoon, and each time the original poster reacts the amount of Spider-Posts doubles.
Check out http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/60s-spider-man to learn more about him.

Feel free to drop us any questions, feedback AND ideas what you want to see in this game.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »

Now this is a game that truly could benefit from community input!
Although as a fellow dev, do remember you don't have to follow everyone ideas (mine included).

I have two personal fav id definitly like to see:
"You activated my trap card"
theres just something sweet about an argument happening and someone pulling that one. (indicating they are about to destroy your argument)
I could see that being a "trap card" canceller/counter if you have those or destroy other card with itself when attacked.

"Is such a thing even possible?"(yes it is.)
Always on point when something impossible kinda just happens.
There you have your most broken card. I would definitly give it a broken effect like draw your best card from deck, or tank its opponent no matter its damage (like a infinte health, 0 atk) or anything that make you go: how is that possible?

(would have integrated images but wouldnt want to flood your thread with memes)

anyways looks promising!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 02:11:02 AM »

Now this is a game that truly could benefit from community input!
Although as a fellow dev, do remember you don't have to follow everyone ideas (mine included).

I have two personal fav id definitly like to see:
"You activated my trap card"
theres just something sweet about an argument happening and someone pulling that one. (indicating they are about to destroy your argument)
I could see that being a "trap card" canceller/counter if you have those or destroy other card with itself when attacked.

"Is such a thing even possible?"(yes it is.)
Always on point when something impossible kinda just happens.
There you have your most broken card. I would definitly give it a broken effect like draw your best card from deck, or tank its opponent no matter its damage (like a infinte health, 0 atk) or anything that make you go: how is that possible?

(would have integrated images but wouldnt want to flood your thread with memes)

anyways looks promising!

Hey Joh!
Thanks for the great ideas! Regarding the first idea, we have something with a similar mechanic, i will be posting more cards soon but i love the idea! Did you mean the, ITS A TRAP meme from starwars?

The second idea is also awesome! I can tell you there is the OVER 9000!! meme from dragonball z in there, but its definitively worth exploring more of these kind of cards.

Keep em coming! Smiley cheers

Erik

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »

Gotta admit, when I read the title I thought "Memes? Really? This ought to be bad...". What a pleasant surprise I had seeing that you have a pretty solid game with a very well done art style.

Memes are very overused in Brazil, where I live, part of it is due to the fact that they're not copyrighted so you can just use the original art and that's how most people go. The fact that you're making original art shows that you care about what you're doing. Well done Beer!

Also, memes are overused in Brazil because people seem to really like them here, so, there's a potential market for you.

Good luck!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:53:15 AM »

Gotta admit, when I read the title I thought "Memes? Really? This ought to be bad...". What a pleasant surprise I had seeing that you have a pretty solid game with a very well done art style.

Memes are very overused in Brazil, where I live, part of it is due to the fact that they're not copyrighted so you can just use the original art and that's how most people go. The fact that you're making original art shows that you care about what you're doing. Well done Beer!

Also, memes are overused in Brazil because people seem to really like them here, so, there's a potential market for you.

Good luck!

Glad to hear! And Brazilians are very important to us Smiley, like with any multiplayer game:

Joke Wink! Brazilians are awesome, also big fan of Wagner Moura.

Hope you stick around, cheers.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:47:51 AM by Smerik » Logged

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »

Hardest decision like ever?

Now I will present you with the hardest decision we ever had to make for a game. Landscape or Portrait orientation? This sounds initially as a very simple questions. But this decision has so many consequences.
As you see from the first sketch the direction was Landscape. Mainly because there are some big players out there that do Landscape with a card games, for example Hearthstone.

Here are 2 sketches from during the decision period:

Landscape

Portrait

Pros And Cons
Now there are Pro’s and Cons for both, for instance one can argue that in landscape mode you have way more space to play cards. Also landscape feels more natural for a card game as you positions cards mostly in a horizontal matter. Advantages of Portrait are that it can be played with 1 hand, and it’s the default orientation of the phone.
Hearstone chose to go landscape, one because its an adoption of the desktop game (which is also landscape oriented) and second because your playing relativly longer matches(8 – 16 minuts) which is more comfertable in landscape. But if you compare this to a Clash Royal (Portrait) that is much more mass audience (casual) focussed, short sessions (max 4m) and they chose to go for Portrait mode. Clash Royal can be played in the queue of the restaurant, during a shit, even on the bike. Mass audience. In my opinion when you want to reach a mass audience on mobile you should always try to go Portrait.

That’s why we decided to go for Portrait on phones! Great, decision made, done, that’s it right? Well,, NOT.. did you every try to play a portrait game on a tablet… its like.. it doesn’t work well.

So FINALLY here is what we came up with:

The blue transparent parts left and right are cut on mobile phones and you see the full image on tablets.
This way we just have to make sure that all useful functionality is either in the center of the screen or have elements that are easily repositionable like the rage bar and the time eater.

Was this a good decision? Please share your mind!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 06:24:29 AM »

Time for new cards and mechanics!

Everyone knows Harambe! Now meet Harambro, a Pinata Type meme. The effect on a Pinata meme activates on death. Similar to real live events, when Harambro dies, a crowd of angry people is spawned. Pinata type cards have the fancy Pinata border.
Angry Mob, packs some power, damage is mostly done via facebook or chain emails.
Derp, a brain fart. Like Jar Jar Binks in the Phantom Menace, by accident it can do exactly the right thing.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »

The week 51 cards!

Today we introduce the final card type. The Whoop type! Whoops are activated when they are played on the field. You can recognize a Whoop by its whooping blue border color.
First card is the Nokia 3310, indestructible phone. Best phone ever, and that snake game on it.. Very strong defense card. Than comes Prof Card Crusher, just.. watch.. this..

Sad Keanu, just read his biography, his life had so many downs that he deserves every up. In our game playing him comes with a sacrifice, but its worth it!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:57:00 AM by Smerik » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:18 PM »

fuck you
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 11:46:20 PM »

fuck you

Sup?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »

fuck you
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have an example of how trolling can not work at all.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »

fuck you
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have an example of how trolling can not work at all.

haha, im still waiting for like a punchline or something, but i guess he just came here to say that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic