Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:31:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTFCQ - A new kind of Card Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TFCQ - A new kind of Card Game  (Read 19731 times)
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »

fuck you

Inspiration for a potential card

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

Everything about this is hilarious. Great potential, and it looks like you guys are really putting thought into it, so I'm sure this is gonna turn out great. Following  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:32 AM »

Everything about this is hilarious. Great potential, and it looks like you guys are really putting thought into it, so I'm sure this is gonna turn out great. Following  Beer!

Thanks for the kind words!Yes, we don't just want to make a card game and slam memes on it, we really want to have the effect on the card to portrait the meme. But all credits go to Maurice for those! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:09:07 AM by Smerik » Logged

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »

Like every Thursday here are the new cards for this week.

I wish i could talk to ponies.. do i need to say more?

For the Christmas i have picked hype kids & trolltendo 64, a neat mechanics combo that can be utilized in multiple ways. Probably all 90 kids (like me) have experienced a similar happiness explosion like this:

In this video you see a chemical reaction triggered by sugar and Nintendo products, aka the sweetendo effect.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:11:39 AM by Smerik » Logged

Mclrn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:34:14 AM »

im in love with the art
its exceptional Hand Clap Hand Clap
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 05:33:04 AM »

im in love with the art
its exceptional Hand Clap Hand Clap

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:55 AM »

In Troll Face Card Quest you can pick an avatar that will be visible for the opponent. Since the game is taking place inside a kids school all the avatars will mostly be kids. Your avatar can show emotions and trigger rage.
The Avatar will be a communication tool and probably also a sort of show off tool, since we will have very unique avatars that are only collectible via events or particular actions.

Showing off in multiplayer games is very important in my opinion, maybe not for every player, but as a core player if you spend so much time in being the best, you want other people to see it right? I remember playing a games like Savage Eden, Priston tale, World of Warcraft etc, and really be looking up to the max gear people showing off standing still in town.

Unfortunately we wont have armor in this game, but this doesn't mean we cant have cosmetics right? We will have custom Meme backs & Avatars, but this should be enough to distinguish yourself from "newb" players.

We already have some sketches and ideas for Avatars

Each character has a small background story. If you have some awesome ideas or feedback please let us know! And the crazier the better.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »

Sorry to keep you guys waiting an extra day, but these are really juicy!

Maurice [Tiny Roar]
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »

Hey guys.
Maurice here again, bringing you some insights behind the design of the latest cards which have a shared theme:
PC Gaming!

I guess everyone here on this board is guilty of having at least a dozen games in their steam library that they spent less than 1 hour on, since we went crazy in of those god damn steam sales. We wanted to capture the feel of those experiences in some cards, since we all can relate (and there are awesome Gabe Memes we wanted to use).

Let´s take a deeper look at them:

• WALLET
Wallet is a good card to expand your hand to have more options to counter your opponent's strategies. With 2 HP it also can tank for at least 1 round since we have many cards that have low ATK. On the other hand it dies quickly enough so you don´t mill (=overdraw) yourself to death.

• GAMESALE
Bleesed be thy Gabe! An awesome tank that destroys all wallets as soon as he gets played due to his Whoop-Effect. This can turn this already solid tank into a freaking beserker that will crush filthy peasants under his boots in no time. Keep in mind, in best case scenario there could be 4 Wallets on the board (2 per Player), giving this Meme an ATK-Boost of 8!
The inspiration should be quite clear: Sales on steam consume wallets like a self-proclaimed Pro Gamer a bag of Doritos.

• GAME MASTER RACER
We want to fuel the good ol battle between Console and PC gamers, because we like to watch the world burn. As PC Gamers tend to dismiss everything else besides their precious as useless and unworthy this card pays respect to this attitude.
At first glance the card seems a little weird since you destroy each Meme you play, when this Meme is already on the board. BUT if you build a Deck full of Pinata Cards (which trigger their effect upon destruction) this card allows some crazy kamikaze combos.

Tune in next time, when Erik will present the next 3 cards which might be related to today's topic  Wink

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:18:13 AM by Maurice [Tiny Roar] » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

When i read the title i thought this game would look like it's done by a 12 year old^^
But the art looks amazing and the gameplay sounds interesting too Smiley
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:07 AM »

When i read the title i thought this game would look like it's done by a 12 year old^^

Well i think on a mental level you are right with regards to me. But indeed we are definitely aiming for a tat older audience.
Actually that's great feedback to my thread title, maybe ill abbreviate it and remove the heart.

But the art looks amazing and the gameplay sounds interesting too

Thanks for your words, that keeps the spirit up.

Quick question, what is your favorite MEME you would really love to see in the game?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:05:05 AM by Smerik » Logged

Kater101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 05:36:59 AM »

Hand
    You start your game with 3 cards in your hand but you need to (always) draw a Meme first before you can place one, so you really start with four Memes. You can have a maximum of five Memes in your hand. Any Meme drawn when you already have five cards in your hands is immediately discarded. Also if there are no cards left to draw, you will burn lives.

• WALLET
    Wallet is a good card to expand your hand to have more options to counter your opponent's strategies. With 2 HP it also can tank for at least 1 round since we have many cards that have low ATK. On the other hand it dies quickly enough so you don´t mill (=overdraw) yourself to death.

So you start the game with 3 cards, draw 1, place 1.
    If you place the wallet on the field you will have 4 cards at the end of your turn.
    Next turn: you start your turn with 4 cards, draw 1, place 1.
    At the end, if your second turn you will have 5 cards.
    Next turn: You start your turn with 5 cards, you will burn 1 card and place 1 on the field.

It's a cool mechanic but knowing this I will never place a card against the wallet because it's better to let your enemy burn his own deck then to remove it[/list]
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:29:19 AM by Kater101 » Logged
    Maurice [Tiny Roar]
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »

It's a cool mechanic but knowing this I will never place a card against the wallet because it's better to let your enemy burn his own deck then to remove it

Fair point and thanks for the input since it is very (!) appreciated.
    To outline my though process a bit: The game lacked both Tanks AND Card Draw.
    Tanks are hard to balance because they shouldn´t have a lot of ATK, because they would be your first choice all the time. So that´s why it needed a lot of HP but no ATK in order to fill that gap and not be OP. After reviewing the cardlist I felt troubled, since I was worried that people wouldn´t see the attractviness of the card especially with that many cards with cool effects to choose from. So I thought: "What are Tanks good for except absorbing DMG?" They give you time to get that card you needed so badly! So I added the Draw Effect to push that aspect of this specific Tank even more.

Now back to your point. I see this card as a very mixed bag and that is fine for this game IMO. This game is about controlled chaos/luck. It wouldn´t be too smart to place that card onto an empty field without an opposing Meme, since it would just block a spot. BUT there are other Cards that buff Memes, so it actually can become a Menace. On top of that I gave it some synergy with other Cards (as shown in the example above) to make it feel even more valuable.
    You need to build your deck around this card and there are cards that need you to discard some cards or even your whole hand, where this card will be more effective again.

Another important fact that plays into this card´s design: Limited round time. We want the sessions of one match to be rather short, so it helps us having cards that can backfire and burn your HP.

TL;DR:
    It all boils down to controlling the chaos you and your opponent create and building synergy within your deck. There will be many cards that will look useless on their own like (the 1/1 Troll Face for example) but can create fun situations when set up correctly.

This card will definetly be on my Watchlist during the first bigger playtest sessions.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and feel free to talk more about this or any other cards that are posted here.  Smiley

Ohmnivore
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »

I must say, I cringed when I first saw the concept because I thought this would be a cheap attempt at exploiting the phenomenon of memes, but was pleasantly surprised to see it's not the case at all. Wonderful art style, meme illustrations, production value, and meme integration. Congratulations!

Smerik
    Level 1

View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »

It's a cool mechanic but knowing this I will never place a card against the wallet because it's better to let your enemy burn his own deck then to remove it

To add to Maurice's answer, you have a fair statement, this card alone in a randomized deck is weak. But i could also envision a deck that pushes this card in the opponents hand forcing him to play this Wink. And there are several trigger cards that could chain nice combo's.
    Even shitty cards can be good in a game of controlled chaos Wink.

I must say, I cringed when I first saw the concept because I thought this would be a cheap attempt at exploiting the phenomenon of memes, but was pleasantly surprised to see it's not the case at all.

That's the danger of this project but I'm super glad it worked for you. Memes are awesome and we have to respect them. I really want to avoid creating just a card game skinned with memes.

Smerik
    Level 1

View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 06:00:43 AM »

New cards again!

.. before we discussed PC memes, and this time its console memes!

The never ending battle between the peasants and the kings.

Brawlfrogs deals a 1 hit K.O. to Gamer Master Race when he dies, because this marvelous gem was only available on consoles. The reference is obviously to 'BattleToads', this was such an epic game, i never finished it because it was just to damn hard, but it was awesome, specially with friendly fire, my brother punched me so many times. :')

Than we have Gamestawp, the reference to GameStop.
    Do i even need to explain myself here?

But still all the kids go there... there goes your awesome Game Sale.

8-Bit Sword, the wooden plank that kicked so much ass in the kingdom of Hyrule.. maybe gramps is also in our deck? Who knows Smiley. This is an awesome first card to play, also in situations when you need to pack some punch against stronger foes but you have nothing on the lane this can come in handy.

Joh
    Level 2

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »

Hey Joh!
    Thanks for the great ideas! Regarding the first idea, we have something with a similar mechanic, i will be posting more cards soon but i love the idea! Did you mean the, ITS A TRAP meme from starwars?

The second idea is also awesome! I can tell you there is the OVER 9000!! meme from dragonball z in there, but its definitively worth exploring more of these kind of cards.

Keep em coming! Smiley cheers

Erik
    Not quite, (well the star wars one is also on point)

look at that composure, that it someone who is about to bring destruction to you because you fell right in his trap.

Beyond that quite a collection you built up. Also a very recurring theme of pleasent surprise by users comming in with low expections (memes) and leaving pleasently surprised(quality stuff)

New cards again!

.. before we discussed PC memes, and this time its console memes!

The never ending battle between the peasants and the kings.

Brawlfrogs deals a 1 hit K.O. to Gamer Master Race when he dies, because this marvelous gem was only available on consoles. The reference is obviously to 'BattleToads', this was such an epic game, i never finished it because it was just to damn hard, but it was awesome, specially with friendly fire, my brother punched me so many times. :')

Than we have Gamestawp, the reference to GameStop.
    Do i even need to explain myself here?

But still all the kids go there... there goes your awesome Game Sale.

8-Bit Sword, the wooden plank that kicked so much ass in the kingdom of Hyrule.. maybe gramps is also in our deck? Who knows Smiley. This is an awesome first card to play, also in situations when you need to pack some punch against stronger foes but you have nothing on the lane this can come in handy.

pretty good stuff, although I feel a missed opportunity for a "card exchange" effect on Gamestawp.
    Something like "Obtain opponent's Hand, give 1 store credit per card in the hand"
    store credits are useless cards (0/0), with a decent effect if multiple are collected.
    "if  4 store credits are in hand, destroy them and acquire an opponent card" (+the played store credit)

those seem like pretty complex effect though, So just keep up the good work. seems like a lot of thought is put into this.

Smerik
    Level 1

View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 02:20:05 AM »

look at that composure, that it someone who is about to bring destruction to you because you fell right in his trap.

Beyond that quite a collection you built up. Also a very recurring theme of pleasent surprise by users comming in with low expections (memes) and leaving pleasently surprised(quality stuff)

Wow he is really going to completely obliterate someone. Love it! Just marked it as a potential card.

Regarding the memes / expectations, its kind of understandable, but i hope we can manage to stick out by providing a really awesome game that happens to have memes.

pretty good stuff, although I feel a missed opportunity for a "card exchange" effect on Gamestawp.
    Something like "Obtain opponent's Hand, give 1 store credit per card in the hand"
    store credits are useless cards (0/0), with a decent effect if multiple are collected.
    "if  4 store credits are in hand, destroy them and acquire an opponent card" (+the played store credit)

those seem like pretty complex effect though, So just keep up the good work. seems like a lot of thought is put into this.

That is some really creative thinking! And this is totally doable in our CMS, we will have another look at it to see if we can incorporate an effect like this on either Gamestawp or a new to be designed card.

Maurice [Tiny Roar]
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:19 AM »

Not quite, (well the star wars one is also on point)

Hey Joh! First of all thanks for all your input and nice words  Kiss
    I actually had this dude in a very early version of our card effect list, but it turned out his effect was hard to do when we started off. What I intend him to do (react to a certain card, trigger a effect that manipulates the board) is possible now, but our base set of 130 cards is already filled up. If people actually enjoy the game and we will be able to work on expansions he will have his well-deserved combeack.
    On top of that: A certan blue eyed dragon might come along with this dude.

"if  4 store credits are in hand, destroy them and acquire an opponent card" (+the played store credit)

Dude. I am mad and in love with you at the same time, since I didn´t come up with it  Shrug
    I will look into this and will go more into the "shitty trade"-aspect of the gag. It might not look exactly how you pitched it, but I have an idea.  Well, hello there!

Please feel free to hand us more of your great ideas (for free! Hand Money Right )  Beg
    « Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:50:34 AM by Maurice [Tiny Roar] » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic