Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:21:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTFCQ - A new kind of Card Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TFCQ - A new kind of Card Game  (Read 19745 times)
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »

Again new cards for this week!

Maurice [Tiny Roar]
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

Maurice here again, smartassing around over the new card:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) / Lenny Face is a rather old meme and is infamous for being spammed in topics turning everyone into a troll. We took this quite literal and so this card can be used to tranform powerhouses into weak Troll Faces.
If you play it in a deck with Troll Dancer for example this card can become even more powerful.
The name of the card "Deg Deg" actually comes from the funny pronounciation old text recognition software did when they tried to read the emoticon out loud.

In this game board control is uber important. Since you can only play one Meme per round it is hard to get your side filled with Memes fast, if you are falling behind. This card allows you to fill up the board in one round with cards that can turn the tide of the battle rather fast: Herp and Derp! Of course they can backfire, but they are the biggest threat for the leading player, since he has more to lose.

Did you know? The words "Herp" and "Derp" were first used in South Park.  Durr...?

Kater101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 06:36:44 AM »

Now back to your point. I see this card as a very mixed bag and that is fine for this game IMO. This game is about controlled chaos/luck. It wouldn´t be too smart to place that card onto an empty field without an opposing Meme, since it would just block a spot. BUT there are other Cards that buff Memes, so it actually can become a Menace. On top of that I gave it some synergy with other Cards (as shown in the example above) to make it feel even more valuable.

Cards like these would be cool to combo with the wallet

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 05:02:19 AM »

This is some wicked shit  Cheesy

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:21 AM »

And you haven't even seen half of it  Cheesy, any meme you would love to see card-ified?

Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 08:40:37 AM »

And you haven't even seen half of it  Cheesy, any meme you would love to see card-ified?

The "I can't believe you've done this..." one! :D

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:03 AM »

The "I can't believe you've done this..." one! :D

I can't believe you asked for this, but its on the list! And there is enough funny effects we can come up with that apply to this video

Some background to this meme, its the sunglasses, apparently his friend told him, if you drop my glasses one more time ill punch you in the face. At least a man of his word.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:33:44 AM by Smerik » Logged

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 04:10:40 AM »

Yes!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

FTA effect (First Turn Advantage)

This is one of the most problematic things in turn based games. Look at a simple game like Chess, did you know that the white pieces have a 5% higher chance of winning because of the FTA effect? (quoted from this guy)

As a second player you simply can’t deny the first players move and for this reason you are already steered. It’s almost like a tough guy standoff where usually the guy that throws the first punch wins.

I’m not that tough, I’ll probably throw a move like this:

Let’s focus again, so how does the FTA apply to Troll Face Card Quest? Since we don’t have mana in our game you can simply play any meme, any turn. Now if I play a 4ATK/4HP as my first meme this means I can blow 4ATK in the face of my opponent without him being able to do anything to defend himself. As player 2 the only thing you can do is go defensive against the 4/4. But since you can only play one card a turn, the next turn the opponent can directly go full attack in another lane. This leaves us with a very unbalanced game.

Hearthstone managed to balance the game in such a way that first player only has a 1,3% advantage of winning.

They did this by introducing the Coin card.
Again copied from Joaquin Galante, the pros and cons of going first in Hearthstone:
For the player who goes first:
•   Ability of making the opening move
•   Ability of making the first play at every mana slot during the match, (loses effectivity after the cap of 10 is reached) effectively marking the pace of the game.
For the player who goes second:
•   Gets extra card to adjust his mulligan.
•   Gets extra card in hand.
•   Gets “The Coin”
•   Ability of making the first play at the mana slot where The Coin is used.
•   Ability of using “The Coin” not only as a gain of mana that turn, but as a spell for combos with other cards.

Seems pretty OK right. Awesome let’s copy this idea!... oh wait, fuck, we don’t have mana.

We had to come up with something different, something better, something so devious that it leaves people baffled. And we called it FIRST BLOOD.

Our game starts with the coin flip that decides who will play first, after the coin flip the First Blood phase is entered. During First Blood both players draw 3 cards and get to pick any of those 3 to put face down on the center lane of the table. When both players placed their memes, the memes are revealed and the first battle scene happens. Now the outcome of this fight decides the start of player one.
Remember we also have something called rage, you gain rage by getting player damage or having memes killed. So in the case where the first played gained a big advantage in the first round and killed your meme, next turn he can play another meme and control 2 lanes and deal 2 times player damage, heavily ramping up the others player rage who in return can do a powerful move to turn the tides. This rubber band effect is emphasized by also giving the second player an additional boost in rage from the start.

We feel that with this we balanced the FTA quite a bit but still the metrics will have to prove whether we were right or wrong. Any suggestions and feedback is mucho appriciato!.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:30:08 AM by Smerik » Logged

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:44 AM »

Well, i play HS a lot, and playes ESL a lot, who has more balanced approach with runes and lanes, and regarding my experience that should work out fine. But as you said, only metrics will give some insight whether it is the right approach, but to me it sounds interesting and balanced.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:05 AM »

Well, i play HS a lot, and playes ESL a lot, who has more balanced approach with runes and lanes, and regarding my experience that should work out fine. But as you said, only metrics will give some insight whether it is the right approach, but to me it sounds interesting and balanced.

Actually never played the Elder's Scroll Legend game, definitely something that i will have to do next week. But yes in the end measuring is knowing, hope we can get as close as HS. How would you compare ESL to HS in terms of accessibility?

And regarding the memes you shared, many thanks! Awesome haha, i almost forgot about the Russian face, we have him on the list as well.
Also if you have like effect suggestions feel free to drop em, all input is welcome.

cjgamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »

Looks like you've all put a lot of work into the game, great job.

The Internet is already heavily saturated with this content, are you worried at all that your marketing will come across poorly to a lot of gamers who don't find humor in it?

Can the game stand on it's own if you don't like the subject matter?
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »

NEW CARDS!! Anyone that plays Starcraft?  Cheesy

Zerg rush!

I forgot about the Google Zerg rush easter egg, i was trying to find an image and was like, what the fuck is going on with my browser!?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:18:42 AM by Smerik » Logged

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »

Looks like you've all put a lot of work into the game, great job.

The Internet is already heavily saturated with this content, are you worried at all that your marketing will come across poorly to a lot of gamers who don't find humor in it?

Can the game stand on it's own if you don't like the subject matter?

Thanks for dropping by cjgamedev! Yes i do worry, we are quiet invested in this game, it was a lot of work. Regarding the marketing i think our advantage is that we have created unique illustrations for all the cards that do not scream "WE ARE MEMES". We will use different kind of marketing messages for different kind of channels.
To reply to you're question 'is it fun standalone', yes it would definitely still be fun. We had people playtest the core game that didn't know a single meme. However if you would take away memes the effects of the cards become more general, like in traditional magic the gathering cards, they are not per see referenced to something existing. Except for the awesome Unglued cards:

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »

Actually never played the Elder's Scroll Legend game, definitely something that i will have to do next week. But yes in the end measuring is knowing, hope we can get as close as HS. How would you compare ESL to HS in terms of accessibility?

And regarding the memes you shared, many thanks! Awesome haha, i almost forgot about the Russian face, we have him on the list as well.
Also if you have like effect suggestions feel free to drop em, all input is welcome.

Well, besides ESL having a larger decks, two lanes (4 cards can be dropped on each lane, creature from one lane can't attack creature from the other and vice versa. Like you've got two boards basically) and no health cap, the mechanics are quite the same. You've got charge, poison, taunt, stealth etc. They implemented the rune feature where runes activate one time only when you're on 25, 20, 15, 10 and five health. Basically an anti-handvomit-aggro mechanism. When it activates, you draw a card from a deck and you can play it for free. If it has a PROPHECY on it, you also get some neat effect.

So in terms of accessibility i'd rate HS a bit higher since it has single lane, no runes and the cards are lot better to remember (ESL looks like shit). That's a good selling point in your game, great, memorable graphics connected with memes everybody knows.

Oh, i often made cards for hearthpwn's contest, i'll be pleased to think of something for the memes i posted Well, hello there!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »

Cash me ousside how about dat?

Ohmnivore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

I like the new title.

Maurice [Tiny Roar]
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:33 AM »

Oh, i often made cards for hearthpwn's contest, i'll be pleased to think of something for the memes i posted Well, hello there!
Please do! It´s not that we didn't get some inspiration of some Hearthstone cards *looking at you "I´m with Stupid"*

Cash me ousside how about dat?
If we stick around long enough I guess there is no way around to get her included ^^"
Any good ideas what her effect could be? Getting stronger each time a Whoop is played?

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »

Regarding the marketing i think our advantage is that we have created unique illustrations for all the cards that do not scream "WE ARE MEMES".
What else do they scream if it's not "WE ARE MEMES". Huh?
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 05:31:24 AM »

Regarding the marketing i think our advantage is that we have created unique illustrations for all the cards that do not scream "WE ARE MEMES".
What else do they scream if it's not "WE ARE MEMES". Huh?

They scream a particular artistic style that is easily recognizable and characterizes the work of http://deadhead0.tumblr.com.
His work is truly awesome and as we have seen with the Troll Face Quest franchise, this appeals to a very broad audience.

When we create banners or any other marketing material we won't do the typical meme set up with black borders and/or a header and a footer text with that font. Hope this answers you're question!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic