Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:19:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTFCQ - A new kind of Card Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TFCQ - A new kind of Card Game  (Read 19709 times)
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:58 AM »

I like the new title.

haha! A little click-bait, in the end this tells more about the game than the actual game title, which i hope leads to 'better readers'.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2017, 04:49:05 AM »

Cash me ousside how about dat?

I'm about to start swinging Wink!
For the people that don't know her:

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2017, 05:13:45 AM »

GOOOD NEWS; NEW CARDS! BAD NEWS; LAST CARD REVEAL GOOD NEWS AGAIN; THE EARLY ACCESS IS COMING CLOSER

'MURICA is one of the stronger cards in the game, but its defeat comes with a very high price. This resembles the world as we live in. America is powerful and no one can afford to lose them. Drumpf can be an extremely effective counter against MURICA. And Trollary Menton, when she is taken down, she makes sure to take down Drumpf and leave some collateral damage to MURICA. There is no political message we are trying to spread, we just felt these were awesome effects that needed a face.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:45:33 AM by Smerik » Logged

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 05:36:56 AM »

Even though I despise memes, I can see this doing really well. So when is the tabletop version coming?

(P.S just kidding I like memes lol)

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

GOOOD NEWS; NEW CARDS! BAD NEWS; LAST CARD REVEAL GOOD NEWS AGAIN; THE EARLY ACCESS IS COMING CLOSER

Too soon? Too soon.
(plus politics in game is always risky, bound to piss off ~50% of people)

Pretty sure Hillary took down no Trump :/
and trump... well trump could have so many effects, everyday is a new potential effect.
Missed opportunity for wall... "field can't be attacked for X time"
"travel" ban... "cant play cards for x time"
"fake news" media... "undo opponent last turn"
Or just how he destroyed everything in his path (against all odds and cs)... "destroy one enemy meme per turn"

But i'll be honest, what you have is much better, on point and encapsulate all of the above in one.

those were nice Reveals. Best of lucks with the rest!

taylorgamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »

So the art is really nice and has a lot of character. As far as artistic cohesion is concerned, I feel like all of the text would look a lot better if you used a more hand-drawn look instead of regular text. It doesn't seem to fit. Now on to my second bit of criticism.

I really wish you had gone with an original IP instead of using terrible memes. I feel like choosing to center your game's style around memes is the closest thing to complete intellectual laziness that I can think of. Like, all of your game's content has been thought of for you and scrolling through this and seeing all of these really tired internet jokes was honestly painful. Sorry if this comes off as harsh but it seems like there is a lot of talent being squandered here.

Best of luck. The art is really nice, but the theme you've chosen is god awful and in my opinion kind of embarassing.
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 01:43:07 AM »

Even though I despise memes, I can see this doing really well. So when is the tabletop version coming?
(P.S just kidding I like memes lol)

^^ that would be a dream come trough, I'm definitely open for it, and might be something to explore once we leave crunch time.

Pretty sure Hillary took down no Trump :/
and trump... well trump could have so many effects, everyday is a new potential effect.
Missed opportunity for wall... "field can't be attacked for X time"
"travel" ban... "cant play cards for x time"
"fake news" media... "undo opponent last turn"
Or just how he destroyed everything in his path (against all odds and cs)... "destroy one enemy meme per turn"
But i'll be honest, what you have is much better, on point and encapsulate all of the above in one.

Haha damn you are really good at this! We wanted to have some synergy within cards and that's why we chose these 3 as a sort of bundle. And he shouldn't be to OP and fit in with the other cards mechanics. But the wall idea is actually pretty good!

I really wish you had gone with an original IP instead of using terrible memes. I feel like choosing to center your game's style around memes is the closest thing to complete intellectual laziness that I can think of. Like, all of your game's content has been thought of for you and scrolling through this and seeing all of these really tired internet jokes was honestly painful. Sorry if this comes off as harsh but it seems like there is a lot of talent being squandered here.

Best of luck. The art is really nice, but the theme you've chosen is god awful and in my opinion kind of embarrassing.

Thanks for your feedback and i can totally see where you are coming from. This is not unexpected. I'm glad to hear you appreciate the art style and the thought we have put in to it.
I agree, there is a lot of people that are fed up with Memes. And to be honest I'm not an active 9gagger nor active meme explorer today, however this phenomena does carry a certain type of pop culture and for me has a certain type of nostalgia.
This is not a rant to convince you memes are cool.

But you know, memes are still insanely popular, even more popular now than a certain religious figure:

The mobile games market is saturated. So sometimes you have to think outside of the traditional box of creativity. We are doing all we can to make the game mechanics stand on their own feet with memes as a synergy for marketing and user acquisition purposes. Feel free to support this game, I can promise you that you will find a fun and well designed game underneath the memes skin.

taylorgamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

I agree, there is a lot of people that are fed up with Memes. And to be honest I'm not an active 9gagger nor active meme explorer today, however this phenomena does carry a certain type of pop culture and for me has a certain type of nostalgia.
This is not a rant to convince you memes are cool.

I really appreciate that you didn't take it personally because I definitely didn't mean for it to be a personal attack. I would just be way more interested with a different theme. But I'm just one person so of course, do what you want.
Maurice [Tiny Roar]
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 06:42:22 AM »

To "defend" the theme a bit more. Memes are a very easy way to communicate with an international audience since they simply translate super well in different cultures (in direct comparison to classical jokes/funny tv series) and established themselves as a new form of comedy: Quick, silly, easy to understand. The explosions of imgur, reddit, 9gag etc shows how people enjoy digesting jokes in the smallest way possible. In terms of how tired some of the jokes are, we went for a solid mix of "evergreens" and current/new Memes. And while developing this game we are nonstop thinking "Aw damn! THIS would make an awesome card! Let's hope we get to make more." and it sparks our creativity a lot since we talk about how to create effects that reflect the joke well or finding memes that encapsulate our mechanics properly (to come back to being "accused" of being lazy Wink; no offense taken.).
On top of that our general theme is "a silly yet fun card game that does not take itself too serious" and as long as we hit that and people smirk, giggle or even laugh and have a good time with this game hopefully, we are happy.  Smiley

Sorry, felt a bit like Dr. Evil with all the paraphrasing  Cheesy

taylorgamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Memes are a very easy way to communicate with an international audience since they simply translate super well in different cultures (in direct comparison to classical jokes/funny tv series) and established themselves as a new form of comedy: Quick, silly, easy to understand.

I certainly agree with you there. Obviously memes exist because they are quick and easy to understand and are also easy to spread, among several other reasons. But while they may get a good laugh when people see them for the first time, they swing in the complete opposite direction when viewed for something other than the first time. Because of this, I think you guys would have done a lot better with something original, as long it was very unique because there are already a lot of fantasy card games out there; Hearthstone being the obvious choice as one of the leaders of that pack.

And with what I've seen you guys post so far (and again, the art is fucking great), the jokes are practically ancient as far as internet standards go. I just don't think you're going to get the positive response that you think you are. I think at first glance when people see stuff like Trollface, the N64 kid and 2016 election memes, they will instantly be turned off by it and won't even give the game a chance. Maybe I'm wrong on this one though? I guess we'll see.
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »

i like that artist actually took effort to make Hillary Clinton look sick and try to bring at least some visual humor.
too bad that texts were outsourced to some l@mer
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »

i like that artist actually took effort to make Hillary Clinton look sick and try to bring at least some visual humor.
too bad that texts were outsourced to some l@mer

Damn I'm a l@mer... You're right we could spice up the text a bit, however the instructions need to be very clear to prevent misunderstandings. How would you have written that?

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »

HILLARY
CLINTON

Destroy all Trumps.
Deal 3 dmg to all USA.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »

To be honest the main problem is super pedestrian feel of it.
№1 rule of meme popularity is to not repeat the meme, but make it interact with some other things, thus creating comedy from implications. Here we got "Memes in CCG" and their interactions. Humor also could deride from subverting expectations, for example all those "Corey in the House\Spongebob is the best anime" memes.
Easy way is to make Political leader cards employ obvious hyperbole, which you use, but its not deep. Drumpf is Twitter/Tonight show obvious stuff. You should study more fringe americana stuff like Syringe Man, Jade Helm, Faygo, Game Theory. You can just use idioms from those group, you can just name your card "Donald J. Trump, the actual 45th president" and just have his photo, that would work as subversion of expectation.
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »

HILLARY
CLINTON

Destroy all Trumps.
Deal 3 dmg to all USA.

NSA and FBI are infiltrating your house in 3... 2... 1...

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 01:29:55 AM »

Im super excited to share with you guys the first moving image, its a bit big (25MB (sorry mobile users  Sad)) but its worth it.

So what you are seeing is obviously not final, but we are getting there. There is a lot more feedback and juiciness to add.

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2017, 02:53:43 AM »

The amount of awesome in this concept and art direction is too much for me to handle  Waaagh! Screamy Screamy Waaagh!

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »

The amount of awesome in this concept and art direction is too much for me to handle  Waaagh! Screamy Screamy Waaagh!

Thank you for the kind words! More moving images will follow as we progress.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »

The gif compression makes it look like the teacher in the background is being overrun by small green fluorescent bugs, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

copman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »

looks great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic