Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:46:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEvangeline: A game about connecting with those you love -- Steam + VR out now!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Evangeline: A game about connecting with those you love -- Steam + VR out now!  (Read 2252 times)
RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »

A game with a simple goal: Connect with your loved ones.

OVERVIEW

Hello, TIG! I'm here to talk with you about our new game Evangeline. It's a very personal story about the rough year that 2016 was for me.

In April, I lost my grandfather, my third grandparent to pass away. He was 90, and I was 21. There was about a 70 year difference between myself and all of my grandparents (I only have one still living), and I feel that I never got to truly respect and appreciate my grandparents because I was still so young when I was really able to enjoy them.

During the grieving process, I was trying to process these feelings, and decided to channel them into Evangeline -- a game about picking up the phone and calling someone you care about by the end. My goal is to help anyone who plays this game appreciate their loved ones while they still can, so that they don't have to go through what I went through.

We picked the name because of our Cajun heritage down here in Lafayette, Louisiana. In the 1800s, American author Henry Wadsworth Longfellow released his longform poem Evangeline, A Tale of Acadie. This story chronicled the Acadians as they were expelled from Nova Scotia in the 1700s by the British, with many of them relocating in my area, regionally referred to as Acadiana.

While Longfellow's story is grossly inaccurate with regards to the history it represents, it ultimately is a love story about two lovers, Evangeline and Gabriel, separated during the process. Evangeline spends her life trying to find Gabriel. We picked this name because it pays tribute to a region that has done so very much for our company, as well as fitting with the greater narrative of our Evangeline: love.

GAMEPLAY

Evangeline is a short, brief, experimental game best described as a first person experience (FPX). It's about undergoing a routine, and realizing that throughout your mundane experience, something stands out. When you notice this thing, the entire world comes to life by transitioning from black and white to full color.

INSPIRED BY...

Gone Home, Dear Esther, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, games like those are our inspiration.

WILL I CRY?!

The ultimate value of our game comes not from the game itself, but the memory you will (hopefully!) form with the loved one you choose to connect with at the end. So, yes, you may cry!

RELEASE

Evangeline is out now on Steam!

THIS DEVLOG

We are in the last 6-8 weeks of development, and I will update this devlog frequently. Keep checking back!

MORE INFORMATION

Stay in touch with us on Twitter!

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Ask away! Smiley

SCREENSHOTS

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:56:38 AM by RaconteurNick » Logged

Cinder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »

Hello,
Just wanted to post some support for this. Seems like an interesting project, but I'm not sure what form it will finally take (screen shots would be neat). I dig the inspirations and can't wait for more info~
-Cinder

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »

This is wonderful. I am such an advocate for people to tell their stories through whatever medium they choose. The world's stories are so interesting, and I always commend those who have the courage to share their own!

For me, it's music. For you, it's video games. This is absolutely wonderful, and I really, really look forward to it!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »

Hello,
Just wanted to post some support for this. Seems like an interesting project, but I'm not sure what form it will finally take (screen shots would be neat). I dig the inspirations and can't wait for more info~
-Cinder

Cinder - thanks for your kind words! I was waiting on a build with a few fixes to take some screenshots, so I'll get those up very very soon Smiley Stay tuned for a gif demonstrating the core mechanic soon!

This is wonderful. I am such an advocate for people to tell their stories through whatever medium they choose. The world's stories are so interesting, and I always commend those who have the courage to share their own!

For me, it's music. For you, it's video games. This is absolutely wonderful, and I really, really look forward to it!

amanfr01 - Thank you so much for the kind words and good vibes! I'll have more information and screenshots soon to showcase more of the game. It's going to be something that does indeed tell a lot of my and my family's stories, and I hope it's something that people enjoy seeing more about. I might do a developer's commentary mode explaining a lot of the backstory behind things in the world.

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:50:59 AM »

12/7/16 Update - added a gif and two screenshots to the post to illustrate what we're doing! Smiley

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:13:01 AM »

So we hit the front page of /r/gaming and also went viral on imgur with 1.5m views as of the time of this post :O

Now it's gotta be REALLY good!!

No pressure, right?

On a fun note, I've learned so much about making our game colorblind accessible and am moved by how important that is to so many people. We're going to have that support in this game and all our future games as well.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:09:22 AM »

Woooow! I love that color shifting!

Great stuff! Yes, with the 1.5m views you might have a little pressure. But that is GOOD pressure. People are excited, and I know it'll help you both become even more excited than normal!

It'll be awesome :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »

Woooow! I love that color shifting!

Great stuff! Yes, with the 1.5m views you might have a little pressure. But that is GOOD pressure. People are excited, and I know it'll help you both become even more excited than normal!

It'll be awesome :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's been crazy the past few days - the gif's unexpected publicity meant we might as well announce it officially (which we did) and now the local press is kicking in. We got picked up by one of the bigger local news outlets, and now I have an interview with the biggest paper in our region this coming week! It's starting to feel real Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:44:06 PM by RaconteurNick » Logged

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:41:49 AM »

Final key art/promo image added in the OP! Smiley

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:01 AM »

Evangeline website is running and the final pages are being built to prep for January, woo!

We're also finishing up a sprint tomorrow the 23rd. Things are looking amazing and I can't believe this project is coming together so well. Smiley Running a colorblind accessibility playtest until the new year, too, so that should give us some good data!

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »

Just finished up a build that essentially gets us to beta stage (minus final UI)!! Running a colorblind test right after the holidays to make sure our options work.

Happy holidays everyone :D

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

Really wonderful local news segment ran on the game and its origins, you can find that here: http://www.katc.com/clip/12986968/lafayette-video-game-developer-releases-preview-of-new-game

Colorblind playtest going well! We hit a big milestone which included that, and early results indicate we did the right things to make the game accessible for those players. Woo!

More to come soon Smiley Hard to believe we go gold in 17 days...

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »

Happy new year!! We're so close... 9 days until we go gold, and just over two weeks until we launch! Smiley

Spending today doing taxes and prepping tons of PR stuff. Whew! Lots to do, but we're so close.

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 05:14:09 AM »

Whew, so much done and still so much left to do! That last 10% is always the most exhausting, but it'll all be worth it. Smiley

A few things we're working on right now:

• Compiling feedback from our colorblind usability playtest and further polishing those features to ensure those players enjoy our game.
  • Shooting our launch trailer now that final lighting and skyboxes are in (!!!)
  • Writing a -lot- of press/PR/marketing stuff to help the agency we're working with
  • Putting together our press kit once those two above things are ready
  • Finalizing the evangelinegame.com website to prep for launch
  • Planning a local launch party! Pizza and beer, a classic
  • Squashing a ton of bugs
  • Getting final UI implemented
  • Generating our credits video

... and that's just a simplification of everything we have left Smiley

I tried to capitalize a number TWICE yesterday. That's one of my tunnel vision/stress things (in a good way!), and always the telltale sign that we're almost done! Woo!

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »

We're getting so much done! For some reason I'm just really excited about how good our tooltip/item names look!!

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »

Meant to say that... WE'VE GONE GOLD!!!

Game has been sent to press. Still got lots of emails to send. Embargo lifts Thursday at game launch, so I should -hopefully- wake up Thursday to folks saying good things about it. Smiley

Reddit AMA scheduled for Thursday afternoon, which I'll post here about when it goes live!

So surreal to know we're done.

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »

It's out!! https://evangelinegame.com/

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »

The response to Evangeline has been incredible.

Two very big game designers were kind enough to try it out and give us feedback, and we're working that into our version for the Steam release on February 10th!

It'll have all kinds of lovely things, like a post-game with real love stories, support for emerging technologies that are very immersive (you can figure that one out... Wink ), and tons of fixes! This is going to be an amazing package.

I've read so many comments and messages from people saying that the game has helped them connect with loved ones, and this is so humbling and heartwarming. That's why we made this game -- and I hope it touches more people as we get onto Steam!

RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »

It's out now on Steam with Mac, Linux, and VR support!!! Smiley

http://store.steampowered.com/app/470170

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic