Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:58:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAssassin Blue
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Assassin Blue  (Read 2019 times)
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »

This is a combat-heavy platforming game that follows a highly skilled assassin.  12 levels, lots of cool unlockables, crazy boss fights.

Information
Title: Assassin Blue
File Size: 9.4 MB
GM Version: GM7
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Controls are included in the game, but for posterity:
Arrow Keys: Move
Arrow Up: Jump
Z: Defend
X: Attack
C: Special
Space: Pause game, view/edit controls
All controls can be changed however you like from the pause menu. 

Download Links:
Mirror One:
YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/44391

Mirror Two:
WillHostForFood
http://willhostforfood.com/users/Banov/AssassinBlue.zip

Play in your browser at my website using GM Bed

(Optional) Download the high-quality soundtrack here:
http://willhostforfood.com/dl.php?fileid=48689
The game will load the files upon startup.

Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)

Misc Links:
How I Make The Levels
Assassin Blue at IndieGames.com!

Credits:
-Banov, as in, me, for ALL sprites, animations, programming, backgrounds and writing... etc.
-Prophecy for composing the soundtrack

---

This was originally posted in the Feedback forum, until I realized that "Feedback" is supposed to be for unfinished games, and the confusingly named "Announcements" board is for finished games.  Hope there's no problem with a new topic here?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:22:40 PM by Banov. » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »

What a fun game. This was a fun game. I enjoyed this game. Coffee

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »

Played this game a long time ago. I liked everything except for the story.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:57:34 AM »

Yeah the story was kind of weird. Felt really awkward towards the end, and I disagree with some of (many of) the things that were said. Rest was nice though.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:00:21 AM »

I played it some days ago and I also liked it, but I didn't finish it. The combat felt nice, but it got repetitive in my opinion as it never required me to really use my skills more or less tactically. Also guarding and the combos didn't seem to be of use. Another thing I wondered about were the unlockables. As you don't have any choice over which skill you want to unlock next and the "currency", those targets, is plentiful, I didn't understand why you had to buy them in the first place, anyway. It seemed like they could have just been rewarded at the end of each level.
Lastly, I agree that a bit more effort should have been put in the writing. I thought that the story itself wasn't too bad, it reminded me a bit of the better parts of Assassin's Creed, but some of the dialoge was just too obvious. For example when blue says something along the lines "Why do I need a partner? I'm already pretty awesome on my own!" His huge ego doesn't need to be shown that obviously, one understands that he is very sure of himself even without the use of "awesome" Wink

Anyway, I don't want to make it sound too bad. I also enjoyed playing it while I did, but you can certainly improve on that Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »

I used MisterX's post to respond to, since his included everything posted above him :p

The combat felt nice, but it got repetitive in my opinion as it never required me to really use my skills more or less tactically. Also guarding and the combos didn't seem to be of use.
Sorry you felt that way, as both can be used very effectively.  Because of the generous health pickups, you could probably get away with just mindless running and attacking, but that doesn't mean you can't use any finesse.  The game is easy to keep the casual player entertained, but the depth is there if you look for it.

Another thing I wondered about were the unlockables. As you don't have any choice over which skill you want to unlock next and the "currency", those targets, is plentiful, I didn't understand why you had to buy them in the first place, anyway. It seemed like they could have just been rewarded at the end of each level.
Hm, not quite.  The targets were plentiful, but if you weren't playing mindfully they'd be easy to miss.  In order to unlock everything in the game (i.e. the bonus cutscene and Boss Rush at the end) you'd need every single target, so even if you could get by earlier on missing a target here and there, you'd want to go back and get them later.  That's replay value for yah!   Well, hello there!

Lastly, I agree that a bit more effort should have been put in the writing... but some of the dialoge was just too obvious. For example when blue says something along the lines "Why do I need a partner? I'm already pretty awesome on my own!" His huge ego doesn't need to be shown that obviously, one understands that he is very sure of himself even without the use of "awesome" Wink
It's true I didn't do as much editing as I could/should have, and that's a great example.  As they say, live and learn!

Thanks for the replies and feedback, everyone!

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »

hey, I remember playing this after it was on bytejacker, and i enjoyed it more than i thought it would. it's a straightfoward game that achieves what it sets out to do, in my opinion. nice job!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic