Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:25:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFinal Crash (previously PLAN Brawl) Demo available now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Final Crash (previously PLAN Brawl) Demo available now!  (Read 13907 times)
darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »

Usefulness, a poster that may be useful for remindings.

I always enjoyed a selection of moves (pictures) on an arcade cabinet.

rickomax
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »

Love it!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

hey, the article on oldschool logos is actually super helpful ouo i might have to use that in my own stuff in the future. ^^

but yea, this looks like what i had ultimately wanted to do with one of my older projects, but mine ultimately failed. im looking forward to seeing if you guys can take the idea farther than i could :L

do your best to succeed where i failed ^^
-connor

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
The Moon Robot
Level 0

Smilenator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 05:14:47 AM »

Simply Wonderful. Tears of Joy I went through this whole thread 5 times to soak as much info as I can because I'm making my own brawler as well Smiley. Seems like I'm on the right track when it comes to logos Tongue I just need to put it in motion. I also happy that someone feels my pain about how "they're aren't really any good brawler tutorials for unity" you could not be so correct. Now I've actually did find some tutorials that did help me with my Brawler.

So as you see this guy is teaching the viewer on how to make a fighter and since I said that in order to make a good beat 'em up you have to learn and understand how a fighting game works. This guy breaks it all down to the importing the characters, adding the hit boxing, making combo system, and making the background. This guy doesn't relized he's help me out alot.
(let me stop before this becomes an essay)

All n all I'll be watching this project thank you for giving me this link and once again wonderful Smiley.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:57:14 AM by JetStrange » Logged

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »

@rockomax & Connor - Thanks a lot Grin I will do my best!

@JetStrange - Thankyou, I think working from almost nothing, it has given me a better understanding of Unity - or specifically programming in Unity for this game. every painfully frustrating lesson overcome has been rewarding and has built up my resistance and confidence to tackle roadblocks that seem impossible at first, with diligence you can 100% make the game you want- no compromise, I absolutely believe this.

I guess this isn't (technically) my first game, I made this on the c64 when I was 14 yrs old (22 yrs ago):

And before this project I started work on a 3D shmup, that didn't progress very far:

I think you know when you are ready to make the game you've always wanted to make. It sticks to you like glue.

The Moon Robot
Level 0

Smilenator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

That is truly awesome to see and inspirational.

So I have more question on PLANBrawl

-What's the story?

-What other characters are you going to add to be playable?
(thats all I have lol.

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »

@JetStrange- The Story outline is typically B-movie-esque:

-A shadowy syndicate has infiltrated a military research facility located on a secluded island. Many key personnel are held hostage and the place has been rigged for detonation. World leaders consider the installation too high value to outright destroy/risk destruction.
The facility has the capacity to generate a clone army and augment/mutate genes, and houses advanced robotics, that were previously never sanctioned.
The lead robotics engineer has a failsafe, a prototype AI robot that was activated off-site at the time of the takeover.
As clones start spreading into the cities, the prototype arrives with help. . .

- The prototype robot will be the player character I'll be working on next, and I'll share the process of its conception and development when I start sketching it out, but her WIP name is 'Misproto'

I've only just updated to Unity 5, so am currently ironing out the kinks from the upgrade, in order to have a solid build for Insomnia 60 (I have a stable Unity 4 build as a backup of course), but can't wait to get started on Misproto, she's gotta be awesome.

other characters will remain vague until they cook longer in my brainpan.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:37:06 AM by darrenagar » Logged

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

Where to begin?

Insomnia 60 was awesome! met some great devs- such a variety of games on show Beer!

many unexpected and delightfully surprising things happened. one of the highlights for me: I was chatting away not paying attention to who was playing the game, then I caught a glimpse of a group of (I assume) hardcore Street Fighter/fighting game players, playing the competitive mode, and they were doing incredible parry rallies- countering each others entire combos! I built the game first of all from a PvP standpoint, but I haven't worked on that mode for a while, and with all the gameplay changes I've made since those early builds, I really had no idea how it would hold up as a competition focused game. They loved it and suggested the main focus of the game should be competitive. I'm definitely considering it!

and this:

father and son. a generation that fondly remembers these games from arcades/consoles and can share with a new generation of players. absolutely the goal  Grin

about a week before the exhibition, I released a demo to a small group of beat 'em up players (brawlers avenue). they are incredible at dissecting the gameplay details that I didn't see. these new friends will be invaluable throughout development Beer! also, watching people at Insomnia had shown me many other things that will improve the game even further.

finally, here's a concept for the 2nd playable character: Misproto

critique is always welcome, thanks Coffee 

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »

Progress on Misproto:

still some work to do, I guess you could call this the outer layer? I'm still expecting some obstacles to be thrown my way with rigging an almost entirely hard surface model, and of course colour experiments.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:46:51 AM by darrenagar » Logged

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »

Misproto won't actually run but here's an anim preview anyway:

The Moon Robot
Level 0

Smilenator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »

Shocked aaaaahhhh Mazing Smiley lookin Fantastic AGAR! Hey have you already talked about What program you use to animate your characters?

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

Do you by any chance know the game Code Age Commanders? I think it was only published in Japan but it had cool, sleek models that these somehow remind me of!

http://i.jeuxactus.com/datas/jeux/c/o/code-age-commanders/xl/code-age-commanders-4e265d597f921.jpg

(I linked to it because the image is gigantic.)

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »

Shocked aaaaahhhh Mazing Smiley lookin Fantastic AGAR! Hey have you already talked about What program you use to animate your characters?

Thanks man, I use Blender to model and animate, such a wonderful tool.

Do you by any chance know the game Code Age Commanders? I think it was only published in Japan but it had cool, sleek models that these somehow remind me of!

first I've seen of it- looks pretty cool Grin, my design style is super influenced by Japanese games, anime etc.

speaking of which - finally got Misproto into the game:

though she's not got many animations yet.

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »

First time seeing this, I love the effort going into the artwork!

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »

First time seeing this, I love the effort going into the artwork!
Thankyou v.much! When I first started the project, I thought I'd be spending the majority of dev time doing the art,
turned out Quite the opposite. Once you realize that effort spent on visuals has to be backed up by gameplay that supports it. If I were to guess I'd say its currently split:

** programming 70% | 30% art **

It Has a lot to do with learning to program in tandem with making the game for sure, which at times had been slow going, and has needed constant and major script revisions throughout development.

Your DevLog I find v.cool.

So, This post represents something special for me  Tears of Joy I've achieved what I set out to do when I originally took on this project. The goal was * have a complete level with 3 enemy types, a boss and 2 playable characters.

All criteria have been met with the addition of the 2nd playable character:

And she is an aerial acrobatic killer!

Everything from now on is beyond that original goal Crazy 

The Moon Robot
Level 0

Smilenator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »

My heart is so ready for this game :D

ANNNND OVERly Ask questions to see you'll answer them time! :D

who is she?
What is her story?
How long did she take to make?
Why is she helping the Team?
Why is she purple?
Does she turn into a Jet?
Is she Alive( have a soul is what I'm saying)
How  are you? 
and When are you going to make the next character??

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

who is she?
-She is a first of her kind prototype robot.
What is her story?
-She was built in secret by a leading robotics engineer, fully activated when his institute was seized by a shady organisation.
How long did she take to make?
-she took almost 2 months from concept to *completion.
Why is she helping the Team?
-you could say the team is helping her!
Why is she purple?
-I think I chose purple to distance her from existing brawler character types that exist in Streets of Rage/Final Fight etc. An attempt at presenting something new and unfamiliar, whereas Fenix is the most familiar.
Does she turn into a Jet?
-erm. . . she's OP enough!
Is she Alive( have a soul is what I'm saying)
-yes!
How are you?
-I'm doing super, Thankyou for asking Grin
and When are you going to make the next character??
  -When I've completed the next round of script revision. I need to optimize how the HUD items work(I don't use any Unity GUI elements), and look at possibly making a custom Input controller. Though I will be taking the time to focus on what the next character will ultimately BE more clearly in the meantime.

Phew!! Hand Any Key

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:26:06 PM by darrenagar » Logged

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »

Been doing more programming work so haven't felt like I have much to update here, but completing a good chunk of that (revising existing scripts) makes it all the more fun to return to art/animation for awhile.

Not sure if I've mentioned anywhere in the post about weapon pick-ups, the knife has been in for a good while but I've added and been animating a classic beat 'em up staple: the Lead Pipe

now the goons are gonna get it!

The Moon Robot
Level 0

Smilenator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »

So wonderful to keep up on this game Smiley

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 10:35:03 AM »

Ok, so development is on hold because I'm moving house- In the meantime Sm_Izumi, a (mainly) Streets of Rage speedrunner/streamer - and also the dude behind the demo music in PLAN Brawl had asked for an image to accompany his channel: https://www.twitch.tv/sm_izumi

I thought I'd give it a go - It's been a while since I've done something other than the game, and I've never tried to draw a Chibi style character before.

Streets of Rage's very own - Blaze Fielding!

whenever you try something new, you learn something in the process - in this case, line-work. was a lot of fun,and a welcome break!     
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:43:45 AM by darrenagar » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic