Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:56:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow do you guys define the scope of a project?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you guys define the scope of a project?  (Read 802 times)
Vini Aleixo
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:01:38 AM »

Here what's happening: I'm developing a Ballon Fight/Balloon Kid runner game for mobile, which is something super simple to develop. However, I'm having a hard time regardind the general scope of the project. At first, I thought about just making a 20 level game and release for free, with no monetization at all. Then, I thought about making a full adventure, Metroidvania-ish game as a hommage to the original Balloon Fight. Now I'm planning to do make an infinite, procedural game and monetize it with ads.

I'm really struggling on what the project should be about, and this is not the first time that I struggle with this issue, so I really need an input of you guys about your experiences. How do you define scope and how do you guys stick to it?

Cheers!  Beer!
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:31:41 AM »

Mostly poorly and never.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
timba
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »

I write down a *very simple* GDD (game design document) to organize my ideas and main principles of the game.
Example: My latest game is about managing a kingdom.
First Obstacle: Wave of enemies attacking frequently.
Solution: Training defensive units. To do so, I would need gold. To get gold, I train units that produces gold.
First obstacle is solved!

So, my first scope is about developing enemies, defensive and gold-supply units.
I simply won't think about new ideas. I will implement this feature until it is done. After it is OK, I start to think about greater scopes, like expanding territory and how can it help to overcome new obstacles.

TL;DR: I stick to my scope by not thinking about new ideas until the first ones are implemented.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:10:27 AM »

1. number of system, 1a. number of interaction between system
2. length of the game x asset density x asset building time
3. level design variation x gameplay system x novelty pacing

prototype to evaluate cost of 1
Vertical slice to evaluate the actual cost of one unit of 2 and 3

Pages: [1]
Print