Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:32:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Critique my Portfolio/Art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my Portfolio/Art  (Read 1225 times)
pynkuu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:14:56 PM »

Hello, my name is Tiffany and I'm looking for my feedback!
I recently graduated and I'm relatively new to doing game art. I just finished my first real job doing contract art & animation work on HTML5 games and am looking for new opportunities/deciding where I want to place my focus.
I'm really curious about what others think of my portfolio, what could be improved, what areas are lacking, and so on. Please let me know what you think, any feedback definitely helps me become better at marketing myself and focusing on the skills developers look for.
Thank you!

Link to portfolio: http://pynkuu.com/

I have this recent concept sketch outside of my portfolio that I will post here also for critique.

eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

Mmmm, I'm no artist, but around the area of the eyes it looks flat to me. As if the closer eye has retreated to a 2d plane to pair with the other eye. It clashes with your full 3d look.
on Fig. 3 the lighting doesn't seem to match from the central eye vs the left thigh. It's more important to have a coherent direction than perfectly blended shading. Again, I'm not an artist so I don't know how you would fix that.

I want to know the exact reason you flipped the character! It really does matter. And the direction of lighting. Don't. Be. Vague.

Most girls I've seen with invisible kneecaps have difficulty in athletics, and that her standing and expression should at least barely reflect that. Aka you can feel the determination and enthusiasm of someone who runs around all day.
Anything other than a perfectly flat and disguised expression! That is just my opinion. Remember that dressing up in makeup and athletic gear tells the story of a gymnast. Yes that's right, a single picture is telling a story!
moreover, it's not any one thing you have to change, you just need more consistency in this story.

The left foot floats above the ground slightly, It's incredibly unlikely to find a surface sloped like that, and if you did, nobody would stand on that exact spot in that way because it wrenches a joint or two.

I've never seen a girl curve that much at that height and leg length. But you don't have to be real, just anatomically correct. Extremely long muscles, especially as found in a leg, become more flattened. I mean if you've seen different muscles on a girl, feel free then. Any girl with muscles that thick builds like a man, while showing female joint structures.
pynkuu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:55:44 AM »

Mmmm, I'm no artist, but around the area of the eyes it looks flat to me. As if the closer eye has retreated to a 2d plane to pair with the other eye. It clashes with your full 3d look.
on Fig. 3 the lighting doesn't seem to match from the central eye vs the left thigh. It's more important to have a coherent direction than perfectly blended shading. Again, I'm not an artist so I don't know how you would fix that.

I want to know the exact reason you flipped the character! It really does matter. And the direction of lighting. Don't. Be. Vague.

Most girls I've seen with invisible kneecaps have difficulty in athletics, and that her standing and expression should at least barely reflect that. Aka you can feel the determination and enthusiasm of someone who runs around all day.
Anything other than a perfectly flat and disguised expression! That is just my opinion. Remember that dressing up in makeup and athletic gear tells the story of a gymnast. Yes that's right, a single picture is telling a story!
moreover, it's not any one thing you have to change, you just need more consistency in this story.

The left foot floats above the ground slightly, It's incredibly unlikely to find a surface sloped like that, and if you did, nobody would stand on that exact spot in that way because it wrenches a joint or two.

I've never seen a girl curve that much at that height and leg length. But you don't have to be real, just anatomically correct. Extremely long muscles, especially as found in a leg, become more flattened. I mean if you've seen different muscles on a girl, feel free then. Any girl with muscles that thick builds like a man, while showing female joint structures.

Thank you for your honest feedback!

I think I see what you mean with the eyes, thank you for pointing it out.

My reasoning for flipping the character was to make sure that the character looked okay both left & right (I still have some trouble with shapes so flipping sometimes helps me picture that things still look alright) You commented on the direction of the light, the light source in my picture on the right was coming from the left to me so I will do a better job to convey that.

So, you are saying especially around her legs, I should add more muscle and and adjust her leanness to match her height. Overall, more anatomy fixes, understood.

The character's personality is that of a sullen person despite the athleticism so the expression was definitely a conscious decision. If this conflicts with the conventional idea of someone who is physically fit, I understand and will reflect on that.

Did you have any words on my online portfolio?
klamp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »

Hey! I took a look over the stuff on your portfolio (as well as the girl concept you posted here), and thought I'd throw in my own opinions. Feel free to take them or leave them!

• Personally, I wasn't really bothered by the anatomy. Could you use more anatomy practice? Sure, but I would say the same for any artist - more anatomy practice is never a bad thing - and none of your mistakes seemed that egregious to me.
  • One thing eer mentioned that I do agree with regarding the girl concept is having purpose to the design, especially the clothing. Judging from the drawing on the left, she looks like a high school student. Think about who she is, what she likes to do, what defines her as a character, and show hints of that through the clothing she wears, the way she holds herself, and other bits of her character design. For all I know you probably have already thought of this stuff, but make sure to consider that when designing her.
  • The first thing that popped out to me was the roughness of your non-pixel art. The concept you posted here is understandable - it's a rough sketch still in development, so I get that it's not refined and polished - but most of your other work on your site is a bit rough around the edges. There's unsteady, scratchy lines, or blobs of paint that don't do anything to show texture or define form.
  • Another important thing to ask yourself is what your goals are. What kind of role do you want? What studio(s) do you want to work for? Do you want to make indie games on a small team, or be part of a larger project at a triple-A studio? Right now your portfolio feels a bit unfocused - judging from your work, it seems like you enjoy doing more stylized work and therefore probably aren't aiming for a triple-A studio, but otherwise I'm not really sure what your goals are. I remember having the same problem with my portfolio - I still struggle from it - when I first graduated, and mostly because college often doesn't give you the opportunity to focus on just one thing, and you're often pulled in many directions.

I feel like you've got a lot of potential. I would continue to think about your goals, and look at artists you admire and try and follow in their footsteps. It's definitely good to have your own voice and style, but I find it helps a lot to learn from people you really admire to help sharpen your technical skills and get you off to a running start.

Keep posting work! :D

Twitter: @candidklamp
Instagram: @instklamp
Portfolio: klamp on artstation
pynkuu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

Hey! I took a look over the stuff on your portfolio (as well as the girl concept you posted here), and thought I'd throw in my own opinions. Feel free to take them or leave them!

• Personally, I wasn't really bothered by the anatomy. Could you use more anatomy practice? Sure, but I would say the same for any artist - more anatomy practice is never a bad thing - and none of your mistakes seemed that egregious to me.
  • One thing eer mentioned that I do agree with regarding the girl concept is having purpose to the design, especially the clothing. Judging from the drawing on the left, she looks like a high school student. Think about who she is, what she likes to do, what defines her as a character, and show hints of that through the clothing she wears, the way she holds herself, and other bits of her character design. For all I know you probably have already thought of this stuff, but make sure to consider that when designing her.
  • The first thing that popped out to me was the roughness of your non-pixel art. The concept you posted here is understandable - it's a rough sketch still in development, so I get that it's not refined and polished - but most of your other work on your site is a bit rough around the edges. There's unsteady, scratchy lines, or blobs of paint that don't do anything to show texture or define form.
  • Another important thing to ask yourself is what your goals are. What kind of role do you want? What studio(s) do you want to work for? Do you want to make indie games on a small team, or be part of a larger project at a triple-A studio? Right now your portfolio feels a bit unfocused - judging from your work, it seems like you enjoy doing more stylized work and therefore probably aren't aiming for a triple-A studio, but otherwise I'm not really sure what your goals are. I remember having the same problem with my portfolio - I still struggle from it - when I first graduated, and mostly because college often doesn't give you the opportunity to focus on just one thing, and you're often pulled in many directions.

I feel like you've got a lot of potential. I would continue to think about your goals, and look at artists you admire and try and follow in their footsteps. It's definitely good to have your own voice and style, but I find it helps a lot to learn from people you really admire to help sharpen your technical skills and get you off to a running start.

Keep posting work! :D

Thank you so much for responding!

- Anatomy is definitely a reoccurring problem for me. I want to take more life drawing classes and have spent time this past summer trying to improve. It's mostly in the work of sketches and it's definitely been slow. I don't really know anyone who doesn't draw cartoons like I do so getting feedback on that sort of thing is sometimes difficult. I'm glad my mistakes don't seem that out of place to you, it's kind of like you said, I'm sort of trying to fall into my own "style," at least with this girl since it's a personal project and less portfolio based.
- Okay I understand this part. I got so focused on making the character look "good' so I could repeat drawing her, I left out a lot of the personality.
- I see what you mean with this, it's a problem I've noticed with myself. I'm assuming this is something that will improve with time as I draw more and become more conscious of it, especially with texture & form.
- Thanks again for looking over my portfolio. I'm planning on overhauling it during the next three months so I really appreciate the feedback. I realized it pretty unfocused so I really wanted to know what people thought of the content at least to see what sort of stuff is working and what things I should get rid of.

Thank you! I've been thinking about this a lot lately and sometimes I'm not sure. My focus in school was specifically on animation but as I was nearing graduation, I remembered how much I enjoyed games and illustration. I think I want to focus mostly on asset creation but I enjoy animating. I admire the skill of being able to convey ideas with concept art so I'm also interested in that....I'm not really sure. I studied Japanese for 2 years in college and am working on getting my fluency certification in 2017 so I'm also interested in the game industry over there (as well as potential U.S. branches), as difficult as that may be...
Initially, I wanted to work on mobile games and online flash games but from when I entered college 4 years ago to graduating now, the mobile game industry has transformed a lot and peaked in a lot of areas (like Facebook gaming) and mostly away from 2D in the U.S. with Flash slowly being phased out online. So my desired place has sort of shifted and it got me thinking more about what type of 2D art job I could pursue where my skills aren't rendered suddenly redundant. I haven't figured out the answer for this just yet.

I followed you on twitter! I hope that's alright, I recently started using it to follow artists and I think it's been helping in some regard to getting more inspiration.

Thanks again for your feedback! Smiley
klamp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »

I followed you on twitter! I hope that's alright, I recently started using it to follow artists and I think it's been helping in some regard to getting more inspiration.

Not a problem at all! Thanks for following! And I feel the same way - I didn't see the value in twitter until I got my account. Now I use it as a great place to keep up with a lot of indie devs and artists I admire.

Twitter: @candidklamp
Instagram: @instklamp
Portfolio: klamp on artstation
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic