Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:28:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessProgramming is easy, what makes a success game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programming is easy, what makes a success game?  (Read 1520 times)
rcastoro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »

I can program anything I can think of, if not I can Google it. But this doesn't make a gamedev or game successful. What have you found through experience that makes a gamedev/game successful? That special ingredient, the special sauce?

_glitch
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:31 AM »

There are a few points:
- ability to save when you want
- can rebind controls
- incredible graphics
- epic addictive gameplay
- deep story
- breathtaking audio
- I'm 12 years old and did da gheim
- can play with family/friends
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »

The question seems a bit weird, if not plain troll... Writing words is easy, yet not many people are achieving literacy masterpieces :/

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »

I can program anything I can think of, if not I can Google it. But this doesn't make a gamedev or game successful. What have you found through experience that makes a gamedev/game successful? That special ingredient, the special sauce?

There's this little thing called design.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »

I have no idea to be honest (that's why I keep trying Big Laff).
I think it's more productive to look for your own formula, that works for you and not some objectively perfect scenario, that all big studios are trying to follow and still fail.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »

-make a game you want to play and that you'd pay to play.

You'd be surprised by the amount of devs makings games they'd never play themselves and be surprised that no one cares about their game.
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »

I can program anything I can think of, if not I can Google it.

If you can Google it - then you are not pushing the boundaries!

-make a game you want to play and that you'd pay to play.

+1  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:21:15 PM by AaronB » Logged

rcastoro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »

Just to contribute to my own thread, which I admit I posted about 5 beers deep, I watched an interesting three minute video about game design originally submitted on the Top 10 game design videos posted on twitter by the CEO of Black Shell Media which explains four different categories of interactive media (game) design which I've summarized below.

I'm very busy so this is the most I can come up with:

Toy:
An open environment with objects that can be manipulated and experimented with. There is no clear cut goal or objective with this type of game, only open interpretation and experimentation. Example includes Minecraft.

Puzzle:
A toy with an added, clear cut goal. This game type should have an objective or underlying goal that drives the players actions and intentions. Example includes Portal from valve.

Contest:
A toy with an added, clear cut goal and player / session limitation. A player might be able to navigate a maze, destroy enemies, or assemble an object within a set amount of time, set amount of moves, set amount of constraints, etc... Examples include Tetris.

Game:
A contest, that hides the players objective in a subtle, clever, and rewarding manner when the player discovers the goal. This is the most exciting and difficult to accomplish game type. Examples include games like Zelda.

There is no clear cut standard or definition for creating a "good" or successful game, so I guess I can answer my question by saying that hard word, talent, and a bit of luck makes a successful game.

Edit**
Oops forgot the link to the 3 minute video:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:28:18 PM by rcastoro » Logged

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »

Game:
A contest, that hides the players objective in a subtle, clever, and rewarding manner when the player discovers the goal. This is the most exciting and difficult to accomplish game type. Examples include... games you actually enjoy to play!

I like the categories but your last example is a bit contradictory.   Minecraft is merely a 'toy', but I presume it is enjoyable to play?

rcastoro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »

Ok... I didn't have an example that wasn't either a toy, puzzle, or contest and it was dinner time so I made an incorrect statement. I'll correct with something more accurate.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 05:37:28 AM »

There are very good talks about this if you search for the GDC conference talks. But in my opinion you need these three things:

Passion, you simply do not make a good game, when you do not love making them.
Connection to your community, only the community can help you shape the game to get around the rough edges. They help you focus on the things that are truly important. Listen to them.
Uniqueness, nobody wants to play a game that is almost as good as another game that already exists.
TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »

PROGRAMMING IS EASY
p r o g r a m m i n g i s e a s y
i wish programming was easy

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »

I'd call this a good example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, but mostly I think this is a language thing.

I read a fantastic essay that went into a lot of the finer points on why game design is so freaking hard.

https://medium.com/@haikus_by_KN/how-we-design-games-now-and-why-bcbc1deb7559

So much of game design is unselfconscious design (their term) which means people just sorta feel their way into something good. They take and sample from other pieces of good design without being able to express clearly what makes it good. Game design lacks a language in which to describe their design. Compare this to other forms of design such as architecture or engineering, which has math and and physics equations all used to make an optimal outcome.

We know when a game's design is good because it feels good. It makes starting game design from a blank slate incredibly difficult.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic