Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:35:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopLooking for feedback on art and level design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on art and level design  (Read 2968 times)
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »

The game allows the player to jump on top of the crates and to jump on top of the bar building plus the platforms on the other two buildings. See the gif for example. The problem I think is conveying to the player that these are actually platforms and not just background art.

How can I make these stand out to tell the player they can walk/jump there?

_glitch
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »

The glass of the windows is looking cool Smiley
In my opinion, the trees could be a little bit more detailed, just like the christmas tree.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:43:48 AM »

The buildings look too blank. They could use some texture, detalis, dirt or lighting

Codebum
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

Hi!  Thanks for sharing this art on your game project!  Instead of pointing out artistic improvements such as others have in details, I would suggest looking into parallax scrolling for your game.  You can then separate layers such as the mountains in the background and add depth to your platform game with the background scrolling at a slower rate than the foreground. Smiley
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »

I was thinking the same thing  Corny Laugh

Codebum
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 07:42:58 PM »

That looks much better, nice work!  Smiley
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:03:22 AM »

I saw it in other thread and decided to chime in:
Its generally a good idea to make collision surfaces immediately readable. You should know what surface is solid and jumpabable on a first glance.
Here i marked surfaces that are definitely platforms(red), questionable surfaces(purple) and columns that may read as blocks(blue)

I made a quick edit, grounf probably should be darker, but here it is
ioanasima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:52:13 AM »

Hi and good luck with the game. The game looks neat, so far.
In addition to surface contrast,  a quick trick that might help you enhance the crates and platforms  is to visually separate front objects from background (create the illusion of perspective, thus volume). The illusion of shades casted by objects on the ground or downward and a little contrast between foreground background might suffice.This will give you the freedom to add other platform assets.

1 and 0 is 0.It's a Complikated game
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic