Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:15:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Developing for PC is fun and all but...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Developing for PC is fun and all but...  (Read 5371 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »

Maybe we could make a list of all the working emulator languages and make a homebrew compo?
 WTF

Wow, I'd... actually be down for that.

postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:39 AM »

I' think you'll like this  Beer! http://belogic.com/uzebox/

I wonder how that stacks up to these?

those are some great kits, are they open source too?

I don't know about xgamestation, but Uzebox (and it's derivate, Fuzebox) are open source and actively maintained.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »

How has no one mentioned developing for Dreamcast?

Dreamcast is an excellent platform to to program for. I think jumping from C++/Java PC programming to near hardware level NES programming will be more frustrating than educational.

Developing for the Dreamcast provides a platform that let's you learn all the pitfalls of Console development without extremely strict hardware limits.

Not to mention, when you're done you can just a burn yourself a cd-r and pop it into a dreamcast and it'll work.

check out
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15
http://www.boob.co.uk/tutorials/guide.html

RC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »

How has no one mentioned developing for Dreamcast?

Dreamcast is an excellent platform to to program for. I think jumping from C++/Java PC programming to near hardware level NES programming will be more frustrating than educational.

Developing for the Dreamcast provides a platform that let's you learn all the pitfalls of Console development without extremely strict hardware limits.

Not to mention, when you're done you can just a burn yourself a cd-r and pop it into a dreamcast and it'll work.

check out
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15
http://www.boob.co.uk/tutorials/guide.html

I would be interested in developing for Dreamcast (probably), but I don't have one to play anything I would make and playing your creations on an emulator isn't as rewarding on the actual hardware.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

I have devkitAdv, but devkitPro is a large download and I'm on dial-up so I couldn't download it unfortunately. I did part of the tutorial that you linked to a few months ago but stopped for a reason I cannot recall.

My only problem is that which each tutorial I've seen, the header files that they use are different, some use more and some use less, and they don't seem like they're enough to move on from the creations that you'll be making along side of the tutorials and I can't find any others (unless that's what libgba is for, I dunno. Tongue).

Also, does anyone know if you can use libgba with devkitAdv?

Eep, no access to a faster connection than dial-up? If you can get to the local library, or a friends house or something, I'd suggest grabbing a thumb drive and downloading the latest DevKitPro.

devkitAdvance I believe was the predecessor to pro, before Wintermute took it over and made it much more universal. The package hasn't been touched since 2003, so its a pretty old software package. Libgba is the standard for gba homebrew now a days, and its a very well maintained library with lots of advanced defines and functions. Everything you could ever want to do on the gba is defined in there, including most of the advanced stuff Tonc is doing in his tutorials.

Dreamcast is definitely an option, I think the reason a lot of people stray away from it is the lack of proper debugging tools. I was reading through a few of those tutorials, and you could use a DC<>NGPC link cable hacked up, but thats a lot of work.

If you want to get serious about NES development (being able to release homebrew carts), you'll need a CopyNES USB http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=36  It is the absolute top NES dev tool for running your games on hardware and finding any hardware related bugs. A lot of emulators will take shortcuts or not properly emulate certain things, so if you want real hardware experience thats the way to go. Its also a PAIN in the ass to install, I broke my first NES that way.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »

I don't know, Dreamcast is a bit too similar to a PC. Where is the fun in programming in a slightly less powerful computer, with OpenGl and everything?
Now playing with attribute clash, on an old 8 bit machine, that is fun.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
RC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »

I have devkitAdv, but devkitPro is a large download and I'm on dial-up so I couldn't download it unfortunately. I did part of the tutorial that you linked to a few months ago but stopped for a reason I cannot recall.

My only problem is that which each tutorial I've seen, the header files that they use are different, some use more and some use less, and they don't seem like they're enough to move on from the creations that you'll be making along side of the tutorials and I can't find any others (unless that's what libgba is for, I dunno. Tongue).

Also, does anyone know if you can use libgba with devkitAdv?

Eep, no access to a faster connection than dial-up? If you can get to the local library, or a friends house or something, I'd suggest grabbing a thumb drive and downloading the latest DevKitPro.
My brother has highspeed internet, if I would've thought about it the last time I took my laptop with me to his house I would've downloaded it, but at the time I wasn't interested in GBA dev so I just wasted 20gigs on games and IDEs. Not to mention pictures. Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic