Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:19:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Gaming AI: The Art of Being Not Too Smart
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gaming AI: The Art of Being Not Too Smart  (Read 2517 times)
p1zzaman81
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »

All this made me realize I should have taken that introductory AI course in computer science.  Oh well.. back to System.Random

TheLifemakers
Level 0

Lifemakers Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 07:00:23 AM »

We have released the first version of the game at Google Play!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lifemakers.battle_of_the_pucks

We did tweak the strength of the AI back and forward quite a few times to get the right feeling, and we also provided regular fixed strength options to choose from. Anyone wanting to try the final product is very welcome!
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »

Implementing a good AI comes from good observation. May I post the battle between AIs in my game:

People thought those two were two players playing. When I was implementing it, I would often do two things: 1) ask myself what I would do 2) watch two players playing against each other and see the action and response of each.

I'm not very fond of AIs involving statistical or probablistic behavior. Not just it's more work to implement them, but also that's not much how human behavior works. Unless you don't want your AI to look humanly. Thus, I use statistical/probablistic formulas very rarely in my implementation, normaly to make the AI break itself from the current behavior. For example, if the current behavior is "goto x,y", I will make 0.05% of chance to make the behavior change to "observe", a behavior that will check the surrounds and decide what to do next. Humans aren't 100% of the time observing what's in their surround, especially when they are determined to go somewhere.

Also, I like to separate "looks human" from "looks like it's controlled by a player". In my game, "looks like it's controlled by a player" is my choice. In a competitive game, that's the best approach, in my opinion, because you don't want the AI going to the corner, sit, and cry, just to look human. You want the AI to look like it's another player, that knows she/he won't die because of that, but will make some inhuman risky move to save itself. If it was a game driven by a plot, I would want the AI to look humanly, go to a corner, sit, and cry, if that's what someone would do in real life, under certain circumstances.

Hand Any Key

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic