Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:42:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA monster doesn't let me leave my room.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A monster doesn't let me leave my room.  (Read 631 times)
xk
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »

A short adventure game I made for LD37. I would like to hear to think what you guys think, thanks in advance!

links
GJ: http://gamejolt.com/games/a-monster-doesn-t-let-me-leave-my-room/217566
LD: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=16005

tpelham42
Level 0

Mercury Fallen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »

This is an interesting little game and story narrative. I could certainly see this being more interesting if fully fleshed out.

With that being said there are more than a few grammar mistakes that, if corrected, would help better tell the story and add to the immersion. The graphics are functional, but certainly could use a lot of work. For a quick game concept/prototype I definitely think this has some potential. Technically speaking the game ran quite well on WebGL and the controls were responsive.

Current Project: http://www.mercuryfallen.com
Find me on twitter: @tpelham42
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »

This is an interesting little game and story narrative. I could certainly see this being more interesting if fully fleshed out.

With that being said there are more than a few grammar mistakes that, if corrected, would help better tell the story and add to the immersion.

Pretty much sums up my own impression.  When I first slept in the bed, I approached the bed from the side and ended up sleeping crosswise - enough to give anyone nightmares Smiley   Check out 'bought' vs 'brought'.  I'm OK with the sound and graphics, however the sentence structure was a bit off-putting.

It held my interest and was entertaining in a 'lets see where this is heading' kind of way.

xk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to finish the game! It's really tough to get anyone to play your game and say something about it these days, I appreciate that.

I'm OK with the sound and graphics, however the sentence structure was a bit off-putting.

With that being said there are more than a few grammar mistakes that, if corrected, would help better tell the story and add to the immersion.

Could you be a little bit more specific? Text is an important part of my games but I'm not a native English speaker so some grammar mistakes are tough for me to spot on my own.

tpelham42
Level 0

Mercury Fallen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »

Well, for one example, as AaronB mentioned you use the word brought instead of bought throughout the game. Brought is to bring something (past tense) and bought is to purchase/buy something (past tense).

So the very first sentence in the game: "I finally brought a 'cheap' apartment..." should be "I finally bought a 'cheap' apartment...".

Sentence 2:
"I dreamed about living in New York since I was a kid"
Should be:
"I have dreamed about living in New York since I was a kid"

Those are just a couple of examples, but there are various similar issues littered throughout the text. I hope that helps with specifics. I can certainly understand the difficulty given that you are a none english speaker. Native english speakers often have trouble as well. Wink

I would recommend trying to group up with someone who can edit your writing or study up on grammar.

Current Project: http://www.mercuryfallen.com
Find me on twitter: @tpelham42
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic