Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:47:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)What are the key points of character design's for games [Indie pixel ]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What are the key points of character design's for games [Indie pixel ]  (Read 1411 times)
Dinobit
Level 0

young pixel artist, young game dev

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »

Past the few week's ive been trying to make characters for my game and im struggling so much and i was wonder if anyone could help as this is a great place for help in my eyes   reference's of characters would be great help aswell as tips I can anyone help Shrug
TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »

If all of your characters have the same silhouette, your characters are boring . When making characters, it's important that every person is clearly different from your other characters . Don't be afraid to make your characters different than what we perceive as the "ideal" skinny and tall body type (especially any non-male characters).
I can't help you much because I don't know about your game , but it's best to figure out your theme for your game and imagine what would be the perfect character that encompasses the feeling of being a "important protagonist" as well as a "important decoration" . What does your characters appearance say about who they are and what they do?
Character design is difficult so good luck and don't be afraid of feedback

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »

Character design is difficult. For me is mostly a matter of trial, error, and lots of thinking. I usually tend to stick to one character choice, and I work on it until it's good and presentable.
Here are two resources I recommend:

http://howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/2014/08/tackle-character-design-2d-games/

Dinobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:13 AM »

Thank you  all of my internet friends for helping me i study these and apply those questions ect to my character's thanks again and have a great Christmas
 Wink
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:19:20 AM »

Regardless of the style, do a lot of thumbnails to help you find out what kind of character art speaks to you the most.

Something like this (not my work, just did a google seach for thumnail characters" :
http://img05.deviantart.net/ce3e/i/2011/141/0/e/beanstalk_character_thumbnails_by_tigerhawk01-d3gu63l.jpg

Corus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »

Even if you aren't very good at drawing, start doing sketches, define the look of the character and his personality. make sure that the character looks like he's belonging to the world you are creating. Research and find the inspiration in other people art as it can be important if you want to fit the character in a certain theme. Is he from a fantasy or sci-fi story etc..
Dinobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »

thanks guys for all your help sorry i havent replyed ive been busy a member of our family passed away and stuff has got in the way thanks again  Noir
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic