Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:07:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Challenge L: Battle of the elements - pt1 - Staging the battleground!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Challenge L: Battle of the elements - pt1 - Staging the battleground!  (Read 1792 times)
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »

Updated deadline below!

The elements, locked in eternal conflict, prepare to duke it out in a monumental standoff of musical mayhem. Eager to steal the show as they battle their foes in cacophonous devastation, the elements enlist musicians and composers to musically chronicle the inevitable cataclysm. Pick your sides and prove your element's worth!

Rules:
- Choose one of seven elements: fire, water, air, earth, shadow, light or arcane;
- Think of melodies, rhythms, instruments, textures and harmonies that would be appropriate for your element;
- Write a short piece that would accompany your element as it introduces itself on the battlefield. Think of it as a leitmotif or character theme. Anything goes, as long as it suits your element!
- Duration: >=1 minute. There is no maximum length;
- Very important: if all participants pick fire, the world burns down and everybody is disqualified;
- Deadline has been extended to February 1!
- All are encouraged to share work in progress.

Go crazy, but keep in mind that this is only the first--if folks enjoy this--of a series of challenges. In this challenge, we set the overall mood and atmosphere of each element, creating a palette of musical aspects belonging to the individual elements. Show us the kindling flame, the graceful winds and the radiant light, let us hear what they sound like on their own! Actual 'battle' commences in a future challenge!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:24:19 AM by Barendhoff » Logged

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »

Very interesting idea. Smiley I just hope you're joking when you say people are disqualified for picking duplicate elements. XDD

Thanks also for giving us a month to work on this. I think I have an idea what element I'd pick already, but it will take time to make it sound right.

One question, though: given the idea behind the theme involves battling, I guess it's safe to assume slower music won't work for this particular competition?

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:44:47 AM »

One question, though: given the idea behind the theme involves battling, I guess it's safe to assume slower music won't work for this particular competition?

Not necessarily: speed doesn't always win the fight! If you could musically portray the currents of molten slag drifting underneath the earth's crust, or the rumbling within the deep bowels of the earth, the water's crushing weight bearing down on the ocean floor or the arcane machinery slowly ticking away time of the universal clockwork, then you've got yourself a mighty powerful element right there, despite its slow nature!

Oh, one thing I forgot: the water element can be both liquid (water) and solid (ice). Also gas (steam) if you're into that.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »

Just about two weeks left until the submission deadline! Grin

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »

I'm going with shadow!

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/new-recruit

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »

It is with great pain that I say I may need to back out of this particular challenge, main reason reason I've been out of town until two days ago and will be again from tomorrow all the way until the deadline. Really sorry for this inconvenience. If it's any consolation, I will find the time to listen to everyone else's submissions and vote.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »

Shadow has found its representative! Who will rise to its challenge?

I'm sorry to hear you may need to back out of this challenge, Python. Good luck with your out-of-town endeavours!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »

One week remains!

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »

Was I the only one to submit?

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »

Could we get an extra week? I wanted to submit something but I've been super busy. If that's okay with you, Steven. Maybe Python could get the chance to post something also.

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

I'm fine with whatever

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »

Yes, let's do that! New deadline: February 1st.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:34 AM »

One week remaining!

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

Did anyone else submit music? lol

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »

Nay, not yet. One day remains, folks!

_glitch
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »

Today is the day!
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »

So do I win by default? That is completely underwhelming lol

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 11:05:26 PM »

Yeah, looks like it.

We've had a rather small amount of submissions to the last few TIGSource challenges. I'm not sure if that's due to waning interest or to a plain lack of time. Is there anything we can do to make it more enticing to participate? The TIGSource Challenge is a playful way to compare our musical perspectives--which I, for one, find very enjoyable--so I'd very much like to keep the TIGSource Challenge alive. Smiley

_glitch
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

Yeah, I also think that these challenges are a pretty good idea. Would be a shame if this idea dies.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic