Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:41:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBBW - Big Beautiful Wall - Version 0.1 out now!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BBW - Big Beautiful Wall - Version 0.1 out now!  (Read 1490 times)
RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »

BIG BEAUTIFUL WALL

Big Beautiful Wall is a vertical tower defense game in the most literal sense. In the game you build a monolithic wall and then defend it against hordes of deplorables.

The game is currently under active development and will be regularly updated until version 1.0 (current verion is 0.1).

Platform
PC, mac (very soon), linux and mobile perhaps after.

Current Features

Endless mode. How long can you survive against the hordes?
    8 different classes of attackers, each with their own abilities.
    4 types of defenders.
    Juggle different resources such as oil, power and money to best defend the wall.
    A unique twist on addictive tower defense gameplay.

Planned Features

Campaign mode. A variety of maps, and in between rounds, research new defenses.
    20+ types of defenders.
    30+ classes of attackers.
    More resources (some of which will be secret).
    Bigger, more beautiful walls. Larger blocks and defenses can be unlocked to deal with stronger, larger attacks.

Screens

Feedback, comments, abuse and well wishes welcomed.

lots of love,

xxooxox

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:34:34 AM by RofB » Logged

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:40:07 AM »

Seeing as you went for pixel graphics, I suggest you chose some pixel-graphics-font for score keeping as well.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:24 AM »

with the focus on 'fun' it seems pretty horrible having such racist overtones. those background silhouettes are gorgeous though.

RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »

with the focus on 'fun' it seems pretty horrible having such racist overtones. those background silhouettes are gorgeous though.

That was one thing I was unsure about. It was intended to be a caricature of what is a racist policy that will likely never happen. I feel like I am missing the mark on tone if you find it offensive. I'm interested, before you read any of this, did you think the game was pro trump (it's supposed to be the opposite)?

Bare in mind, this is a game about defending a wall from Mexicans. In my head, the more ridiculous I make it, the less politicised it becomes. I would rather have a universally panned hate group manning the walls than normal guards. The primary goal is to make it fun, the secondary goal is to show how ridiculous the policy is.

The plan is to have normal border guards available aswell, but which are too expensive for the player to purchase (and require additional support NPCs i.e. therapists).

Thanks for the feedback dear. Does anyone else have strong opinions on this? I've been working on this in isolation, the humour barometer may be a little skewed.

Seeing as you went for pixel graphics, I suggest you chose some pixel-graphics-font for score keeping as well.

I will do, I have a pixel font lying around, but it's resolution is too high to go next to those icons. So I'll have to make a new one. Thanks for the feedback friend.

--------

I am still working on getting the 0.1 build out today (may be pushed to tomorrow), it will be an endless horde mode, just to showcase the basic gameplay loop. Hopefully some of you will find it fun.

I expect to be updating the game weekly. The basic game logic has been programmed, so in theory I can very quickly add new weapons and enemies.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:34:02 AM by RofB » Logged

RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »

I've decided to take a bit more time to polish a few things before i release v0.1 to the public. Namely I'm working on a basic tutorial (I was going to be lazy and just include a readme), and making the UI a bit more intuitive.

I also had a stroke of inspiration for the title screen/ game cover art. I thought an Attack on Titan pastiche might work well. What follows is my first attempt. Please do not laugh too hard.

So... I somehow managed to make trump look like a good natured german baker.

After alot of tweaking i figured out the face needed to be a little longer, and the facial expression more crazy. It now hopefully looks more trumpy.

The way I set it up makes me want a sm64-esque play with trumps face minigame. Not really sure how to approach it in 2d pixel art though. Maybe something basic like every time you click him his nose gets bigger?

v0.1 soon(tm). A day or two hopefully (tm).

xoxoxox

RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 06:05:24 AM »

Version 0.1 will be releasing today. A few days later than I had hoped, but it was time well spent.

The majority of the time I was working on features to make it a little easier and intuitive for new players. For example, the range of turrets and defenders increases with height + their own base range. So I made a visual representation of it while placing:

You can also press H and then click on buildables in the menu to get a popup with more information. I had previously planned on being lazy and just dumping all the info into a readme. A new player should hopefully be able to fire up the game and learn the mechanics purely within the game.

I added a few more fun items, and a few more utility items such as the recycler, which helps v0.1 have a complete gameplay loop (It was previously the case that most games ended with a load of empty oil canisters bloating the build space). The recycler also gave me a good idea for a new secret resource (blood) to buy a new class of defenses (likely demon-y), this won't make it to 0.1 however.

I also figured out what to pitch the genre of this game as: Vertical tower defense.

So stay tuned, should be out for free on itch.io later today. Feedback, as always, is welcome.

Happy holidays.
xoxox
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:17:11 AM by RofB » Logged

auroraaa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »

Please do not laugh too hard.

this is beautiful

auroraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mclrn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »

Tears of Joy :tearsofjoy:this is great,so innovative
i love the pixel art,so retro
 Hand Metal Right
RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »

Version 0.1.0 is out!

Download it here!

Feedback is as always welcome and encouraged.

It was supposed to come out a week ago, but ho hum, the product is hopefully better for the wait. To summarize what I've been doing:

I added a new defensive structure: The tesla coil. I also spent an inordinate amount of time balancing the game so it's actually fun to play (this took alot longer than I expected, getting that perfect difficulty balance is tremendously hard). I then did all the boring things that go with releasing a build, namely making a trailer, taking screens, and just setting up the download page.

Please do not laugh too hard.

this is beautiful

Heh, thanks. I've updated the sprite in the game and it looks alot more trump like thankfully.

Tears of Joy :tearsofjoy:this is great,so innovative
i love the pixel art,so retro
 Hand Metal Right

Thanks alot. I just hope people aren't disgusted by the "shortcut" i took with the movement animations. Namely that the sprites movement animations are south park-esque.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »

The goofyness of animation fits.
If you take away the racism aspect, then you're losing out on the political message. Keep it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic