Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:48:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessRegistering company and game and protecting IP
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Registering company and game and protecting IP  (Read 898 times)
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »

Long time game dev, first time working on a game for steam.

Our game is ready to go into marketing, and I have no idea what we need, so I'd like to ask advice from those of you that have been through this process and would be kind enough to share this experience.

My assumption is that we need a company, and some way to protect our IP, however, I don't know more than this, I don't know how to create our IP and how to protect it.

I'd be very grateful for any advice you'd be willing to share.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »

i'm not sure what you mean by "creating an IP." it depends on where you live and your local laws.

but generally, there is

copyright which is automatic and applies to everything you've created. it means you have the exclusive right to use and distribute your work. depending on where you live, copyright may or may not be transferable from the creator to another person or legal entity like a company. game mechanics are not protected under copyright, but art assets, sound, code etc. are.

trademarks these include names, logos, slogans, taglines etc. simply put, trademarks protect you from other people using the same branding for a similar product. they may or may not have to be registered to be effective, depending again on local laws. at any rate, they have to be sufficiently unique to be recognized as trademarks (btw contrary to popular belief, you usually do NOT lose your trademark if you fail to "defend" it in court).

patents are supposed to protect inventors from other people copying their inventions. i think in the context of games this means you could theoretically apply for a patent for the tech behind your game if it's sufficiently innovative and the innovation is non-trivial.

trade dress is supposed to protect the "look and feel" of your product. this protection also has to be applied for. i'm not sure it can be used for digitally distributed videogames tho.
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »

To add to what Silbereisen says, in practical terms besides registering a company you'll want to apply for the trademarks of the names you'll want to use (be it game or company name) and... that's pretty much it.

Copyright is automatic (in that if someone copies you, you can take them to court and provided you can prove your game came first they would usually side with you, if the copy is blatant enough), gameplay and game mechanics usually cannot be patented (depending on your tech it's possible that you may be able to patent some of it, but afaik most game devs don't do that, so I wouldn't bother) and as for trade dress, I've never heard of a game dev applying for it either, so to be frank I don't think it's worth your time either.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 04:59:37 AM »

My assumption is that we need a company
Legally you don't need a company to be on Steam, you can simply register as an individual doing business with Valve.

Also, I wouldn't worry about IP protection.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:40:09 AM »

copyright which is automatic and applies to everything you've created. it means you have the exclusive right to use and distribute your work.

oh i forgot to add: you can of course give others distribution and use rights even though you remain the copyright holder. that's what licensing is basically.
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »

Thanks Silbereisen, Mahn, J-Snake Smiley

I'm going to put this out here as a big question mark :
We've created Mana Core : www.facebook.com/manacoregames (and manacoregames.com wip) . There is also https://www.facebook.com/ManaCore/ , which isn't ours .
I assume we're not in copyright since we added "games" at the end Smiley also the fact that they sell merchandise ( cards ) and board games, while we develop and manage software.
Am I correct ?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:41 AM »

I think that would fall under trademark law, not copyright law and it might potentially be a problem since both of you are in the "game" business even if it's different types of games.  Imo you should contact the other mana core people and ask if they're ok with you using the name (and rename your company they aren't). Even if they don't have a registered trademark on the name, you should still do it as a matter of common courtesy.

Also obv the reason to do it now is that you've just created your brand (i.e. no one cares about it yet) and you have nothing to lose by changing it if push comes to shove.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:37:07 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »

The basic question of trademark infringement is: "Could this thing be reasonably confused with this other thing?" In case of a dispute, this for a court to decide.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic