Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:26:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeons of the Fallen - coop dungeon crawler - RELEASED!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of the Fallen - coop dungeon crawler - RELEASED!  (Read 8645 times)
Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »

Recent changes:

*changed collision box from the hero sprite to a square box to fix collision issues

*four hero sprites, one for every player. You can't choose which one you want to play. The game gives you the hero automatically depending on the order of logging into game.

*sprites reflect what weapon you have in your hand

Also:

-found the music guy and commissioned one track from my own funds

-commissioned few pieces of art for Kickstarter

-created a website on Wordpress but is still WIP

-created IndieDB site (link in the signature)

-read a looooooot of stuff about starting a Kickstarter project. I will try to get 1500$ since this should be enough to afford few tracks and I have neither experience nor community to back me up. Also I have a real anxiety about how its gonna go.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:43:27 PM by Kebbab » Logged

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »

I've recently found out that you can't have a Kickstarter project if you live in Poland. That was a big blow for me since as a new unknown developer I need the community support to get on Greenlight. That leaves me with Indiegogo which is much smaller and harder to get money. However, I am considering having a friend from UK creating a KS project for me but I would need to make sure that I am able to cover for him any additional expenses.

Putting the marketing stuff aside for a while and getting the dev stuff done was very refreshing and liberating for me:

Changes:

*drew an orc shaman who will aid the warriors and crossbowmen with frostbolts and homing magic missles
*drew some npcs for the city
*changed the overall pace of the game by giving additional speed to the heroes and enemies. This simple thing made a huuuge positive difference. The game looks much more dynamic and arcadish which IMHO is better for a gauntletlike coop game.
*made UI for the crafting. One will need three ingredients to forge a new item:

-a weapon or armor to refine (can already be enchanted, the stats will stay)
-an ingredient for the stat he wants to add, e.g a spider gland to give poison damage
-a gem of required tier. The better weapon you want to make the more expensive gem you need to sacrifice

Below some old screenshots:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:10:48 AM by Kebbab » Logged

mike.cullingham
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »

Looking really cool.  I'm a huge old-school gauntlet fan, so appreciate seeing different takes on it.

Love the way the spider drops in with the growing shadow.  I was going to mention increasing the speed but I see you made a bullet point about that already.

twitter: <a href="https://twitter.com/mike_cullingham">@mike_cullingham</a>
Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »

Hello! Dungeons of the Fallen will be submitted to Steam Greenlight in few days and I need your feedback for the trailer.

I wil add greenlight logo and links to site on the end in the final version of the trailer. Also I'm planning to record some 3-4 players footage and switch some of the existing clips.

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 04:25:21 AM »

I submitted the game to Steam Greenlight today. I have no idea how it's gonna go so keep your fingers crossed!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922194713

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »

Stats:

15 days
1000 votes overall
640 votes YES
360 votes NO
meaning 64% yes/noratio and 27% to top 100.
50 followers
around 50 comments with 0 negative ones.

So relieved you can't imagine. I was really tired by the campaign and not focusing on the game itself.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:43:49 PM by Kebbab » Logged

wurthers
Level 0

wurthers original (not a candy)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »

Congrats on Steam Greenlight!  Smiley

Do you have any plans to release a demo before shipping?
Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 01:34:42 AM »

Thanks,

No. I would need to optimize the multiplayer play which I don't have time for right now. I need to progress forward in order to finish the game next year.

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 05:05:02 AM »

Damn, almost a year with no updates. The official and final release date is set to March 2019.

Here I have planned what I need to do every month.

I should have story levels finished by June so the game will have beginning and an end. This will be a great goal achieved and from there I only need to improve the engine.

Also made a big decision on switching focus from LAN coop to Couch coop and gamepad support since its not only easier to implement but also more demanded by the players. I MAY continue LAN and maybe online after release.

Also I finally figured out procedural dungeon generation in Clickteam Fusion so now I only have to fill random dungeons with monsters and stuff. With both "handcrafted" and random levels there will be much more playtime available for the players.

Finally I have recently commissioned an awesome piece of art with logo for Steam store capsule image. When its finished I can open the Steam Store page so it will be visible in the store and can be added by players to their wishlist.

I will update soon when I have the Steam Store page ready.

I dont have time to create commercial gifs now but here you have some screenshot from the progress:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:44:14 PM by Kebbab » Logged

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 05:33:30 AM »

Hi again,

I decided that I have enough content to publish a Coming Soon store page on Steam. You can find the store page with the new trailer here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...Fallen/?beta=1

Now I need to add all the cutscenes and dialogs, add some new content to the procedural levels and make all the final fixes and improvements.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 07:20:07 AM »

Wow! It’s SO NICE to see you back! What matters is that you’re lookinf ahead and not behind.

I’m at work (yes, on a Sunday hahah), but I’m eager to watch the trailer when I get home.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »

Thanks for the kind words! Finding a balance between gamedev, regular job and all other things can be really tiresome. I set my deadline to March 2019 in order to not get insane Wink
After almost 2,5 years of working like this it is not possible to stop though. I'm on vacation in Spain now and it was really difficult for the first few days to clear my mind. Thanks once again!

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »

Hi all after long break.

It's been a busy year. I have made so many changes I cannot possibly remember everything. Soon 3 years will pass since I decided that I want to make my own hack n'slash.

Few 2018 bullet points though:

• Made 5 out of 9 game bosses.
  • Finished act II (Jungle full of ancient ruins) and made entire new act III (Snowy land with hordes of bloodthirsty seals).
  • Made new marksman skill branch for players who want to focus on killing things with arrows
  • Redraw all weapons and added a new tier. There will be six tiers in total.
  • Gamepad support
  • Lots of improvements to main menu, UI, loot system and random dungeons

I still don't have any specific release date. I think I will need at least 5 months to get things to final state. Awfully tired but happy and looking forward to release Smiley

Recently I wrote to a polish game site and they covered me:

https://graczpospolita.pl/przez-blisko-trzy-lata-samodzielnie-tworzy-hacknslasha-dungeons-of-the-fallen/?fbclid=IwAR1dzu8V5XB2XWYuERgPAe2FVgC3asUBriL8rJjsOAyFh5A8s1DM6F54lJk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:44:31 PM by Kebbab » Logged

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 12:02:09 AM »

No, the project is not dead. Actually quite the opposite! I think I should be able to finish the damn game September this year Smiley

Summary:
Story 100% finished
Bosses 100% finished
Spells and masteries 95% finished (some fixes and coop optimization needed)

What's left to do:
Random dungeons improvements, fixing bugs, polishing graphics, multiplayer adjustments, 4 player coop and UI, control customization, translation, Steam cards/achievements ... and testing, testing, testing Smiley

Below a preview of a reworked ability from a marksman tree. Unfortunately every now and then you look at some feature you liked 2 years ago and you decide it now looks like crap Smiley

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 04:11:10 AM »

Hi,

This weekend I announced on Steam the final release date of Dungeons of the Fallen.

The game will be available on 27th September meaning its only 6 weeks left!

Recently I spent a lot of time making the gamepad controls and optimizing them for coop gameplay.

I also encounter collision problems where in rare occasions player or enemies decide to travel between walls ignoring collision detection. I haven't found the reason yet but I need to run through each line until I find the culprit.

In two weeks I will post a new trailer with 4 player content. It's been so long and I'm really excited the release day is so soon!

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 12:12:33 AM »

Hi all,

After 3,5 years of weekend solodev, on 5th October, my first game Dungeons of the Fallen has been finally published.

Two last months before release had been exruciating. Some days I woke up around 6AM started working on the game, then 8AM on my daily job and then from 4PM until 23PM working on the game again with occasional breaks.

I underestimated the amount of work needed to make the game prepared for release. One of the biggest mistakes I made was making the game in six languages. Implementing the localizations stole a whole month from my time.

So yeah, the 5th October should have been the day when I could finally rest...

No no no...

After the game got published I started receiving many complaints that needed to be addressed fast. UI was not that intuitive as I thought it would be, there were many bugs I overlooked and issues with controllers.

Since then I am implementing a patch after patch. However, I promised my family and to myself that I won't crunch anymore. It's just not worth it.

On the other hand, the players that have not been affected by bugs (or closed an eye on them) gave me a lot of positive feedback. They especially loved the boss fights, build customization and coop gameplay. It surprised me that some of them kept playing even after they finished the story and there was nothing to do but grind. They would ask me for new content because the gameplay is so fun they need a reason to play

Since the release I fixed most of the issues but unfortunately due to all the technical issues on release the game is on Mixed rating which heavily affects the sales. Also I did almost none marketing during the release days because I needed to fix the game first. I honestly did not want people buying my game while it had so many bugs.

I'm slowly preparing to start the marketing campaign now when most issues are fixed. I still need a week or two to improve the UI and helps to not discourage less patient players. At the beginnning of next year I will start working on some new free content. Despite all things I said earlier I do enjoy working on the game and I'm excited to see it getting better and better. Hopefully with time I'll get more and more positive reviews and the game will get out of the Mixed rating (and I can finally rest in peace Smiley ).

One day I will write some more detailed post-mortem. Thank you for reading, and wish you all a smooth and successful release

STORE LINK:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/701610/Dungeons_of_the_Fallen/

@PetSkull: Corrected, thanks!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:06:03 AM by Kebbab » Logged

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 02:57:43 AM »

Unfortunately your Steam link doesn't work.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic