Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:36:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Help with creating amateur explosion art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with creating amateur explosion art  (Read 1026 times)
Smilex
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »

Hey,

I've am working on creating simple recreations of games from the post, as a method of teaching myself to finish games. Programming is my forte, but I want to and need to do every aspect of the game, so I'm struggling with the non-programming parts.
The idea of the game is that there's a fire in an apartment building, and babies get thrown out for you to catch with a trampoline.
What I am having issues with, is a simple introduction "cinematic", where blues turn red and the windows of the apartment building are supposed to blow out with some fire, and then turn into a static drawing. I have drawn the window before and after the explosion, but I have no idea where to start with the actual explosion. I have combined two cropped screenshots together.
A less important thing is, how should I color the background of the broken window, for it to make sense? Making it darker feels wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Link to image: http://imgur.com/a/JpKrT

The img doesn't seem to work

Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

Look at other explosions and see how it's done.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »

The way I see it you can go in two directions.
First is animating specific explosions for the windows, second is having a generic explosiong sprite playing over the top of the window.

If you're not confident at animating I'd probbably reccomend the second option, all you need to do is do some expanding circles that are lighter in the centre and fade out to yellow, orange, red at the edges. Then have them dissapear starting in the centre. Also have the same colour progression in time, so the firs frames are brighter then fading through yellow-orange-red.

Make one like that for about 4-5 frames or something. Then have a couple laid over the top of eachother on the windows in a similar effect to the boss explosions from the shantae games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic