Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:22:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPowercity 9000 [city building game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Powercity 9000 [city building game]  (Read 1392 times)
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

info
Hello reader,

This post is about my game, named Powercity 9000.
Powercity 9000 is a city building game that's currently in alpha.
The game has no goal yet, and only has a creative mode right now, where you can build your city however you want.

Features
  • Tiles/objects modding support
  • Isometric pixel art
  • Creative mode
  • A minimap
  • Bugged walking people in your city (if the setting is on)
  • Many tiles/objects to choose from

known problems in the latest version:
  • People are bugged in this version. You can disable people in the gameplay menu.
  • No in-game menu yet.
  • Water needs a new texture system. (water is transparent on the edges, but it's actually only necessary when placed near other tiles.
  • Worlds get glitchy when loading a save after adding tiles/objects in the text file for modding. (Glitching doesn't happen when adding the new object/tile at the end of the text file.)

Current version
alpha v1.2.1

Screenshots

Video: main menu (old)

Download
Indiedb: http://www.indiedb.com/games/powercity-9000
Itch.io: https://jxlle.itch.io/powercity-9000
Gamejolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/powercity-9000/222003

Social
my twitter: https://twitter.com/JelleVandesijpe

Chat/Feedback
Discord server: https://discord.gg/HyEfWs7

What can you do on this discord server?
  • Chat about the game.
  • Report bugs and problems.
  • Give ideas and suggestions.
  • Create a community based around the game.

Happy gaming!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:36:17 PM by Jxlle » Logged
tpelham42
Level 0

Mercury Fallen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

It has an a fun little art style, but it's basically a simple tile editor at this point. With no goals/simulation elements it's more the start of a level editor than even a "creative mode". I can definitely see some potential here though. Some information on what game play elements you are planning to add would be most welcome. Smiley

Additional Thoughts
1. The download zip file (from itch.io) contains a folder called "Release". It would have been a bit nicer to have the folder named after the actual game.

2. Switching between the two modes to remove tiles before adding a different type was a bit annoying. I would have liked to be able to replace the existing tiles with something different instead of removing them first.

3. It was a bit odd that I manually put in the map size instead of having a drop down for different predefined sizes.

4. The mouse movement became a bit laggy at a map size of 100.

Current Project: http://www.mercuryfallen.com
Find me on twitter: @tpelham42
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Some information on what game play elements you are planning to add would be most welcome. Smiley

I'm going to add more information about the future updates for this game on this post, if you want that.
My goal is to make a city building game, where you need to manage your resources and start a stable city, keep your population happy, and try to make your city as big as possible. The future "survival" mode of this game isn't implemented yet, so more ideas might come soon.
The next update will make the "creative" mode more "creative". I'll try to add cars, trains and fix the people walking in the city.

1. The download zip file (from itch.io) contains a folder called "Release". It would have been a bit nicer to have the folder named after the actual game.

I was going to do that, but at that moment, my antivirus kept deleting some game files. I gave up and uploaded the update with the "release" name. The next update will contain the "Powercity 9000" name.  Wink

2. Switching between the two modes to remove tiles before adding a different type was a bit annoying. I would have liked to be able to replace the existing tiles with something different instead of removing them first.

I also had this idea, but wouldn't this be tedious if you replaced some tiles by accident?
(example: in survival mode [future]. You buy an expensive tile, but you replace the tile (sell + buy new tile) by accident.)

3. It was a bit odd that I manually put in the map size instead of having a drop down for different predefined sizes.

Thanks for the feedback on that. I might change this since you're the first to make a comment on that feature.

4. The mouse movement became a bit laggy at a map size of 100.

This version of the game is not optimized. I already optimized some code for the next update, but I'm still trying to optimize as much as possible.
I personally never had this problem with the mouse. Did the map contain many tiles/objects?

Thanks for the feedback  Smiley. I can use this information and change/add some stuff in the next version.
tpelham42
Level 0

Mercury Fallen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »

I also had this idea, but wouldn't this be tedious if you replaced some tiles by accident?
(example: in survival mode [future]. You buy an expensive tile, but you replace the tile (sell + buy new tile) by accident.)

I agree from a purchase/survival aspect of the game, but I would also assume that terrain would already exist in survival which would mitigate the issue as it stands now so perhaps no need to change in the long run.

I personally never had this problem with the mouse. Did the map contain many tiles/objects?

I added a couple of things, but even on a blank map I noticed the mouse wasn't as responsive as it was on a map that was only size 50.

Good luck on the project. Smiley

Current Project: http://www.mercuryfallen.com
Find me on twitter: @tpelham42
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

I would also assume that terrain would already exist in survival.

Maybe not.
I'm still thinking about a certain gamemode where you need to expand your territory with "powerstones". So you start with a little "island" of tiles, and expand to a big city, while producing various resources.

Good luck on the project. Smiley

Thanks!
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »

I updated the game. It's mostly an update that optimizes the game, so not much. I also added bad/basic controller support and some other things.
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »

I created a discord server for Powercity 9000.
This discord server is easier for me to chat about the game, report bugs/problems, give ideas and suggestions,...

You can join here: https://discord.gg/HyEfWs7
meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »

Really like the aesthetics of this game so far!
Can't wait to see more.  Smiley

Comments:
- Can you show some kind of blinking cursor, when writing the game name? Maybe even just a blinking underscore. It really helps with knowing what's going on.
- Maybe I overlooked the feature, but is it possible to place multiple tiles at once?
- Are the buttons here behind the toolbar on purpose?

Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »

- Can you show some kind of blinking cursor, when writing the game name? Maybe even just a blinking underscore. It really helps with knowing what's going on.

That's a good idea!
I have an old test project where I have a chat system, so I think that I can add that easily.

- Are the buttons here behind the toolbar on purpose?

Yes.
The buttons are blocking the view more, when they are above the toolbar. I personally think that it gives a clearer view and that the buttons (not the selected one) look more like tabs, rather than normal buttons.

Really like the aesthetics of this game so far!
Can't wait to see more.   Smiley

Thank you for playing the game and giving me feedback!
larryfy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »

I think the graphic could be better, right now everything looks so 70. I mean that in a bad way. You should work on your art more. I mean Fez's art took 3 rounds.
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

I think the graphic could be better, right now everything looks so 70. I mean that in a bad way. You should work on your art more. I mean Fez's art took 3 rounds.

What do you mean be "70"? And would you please give some arguments why it's bad?
I just want to know why you think it's bad, because you're the first person to say that.

- Maybe I overlooked the feature, but is it possible to place multiple tiles at once?

No, currently not, but I'm probably adding that in a future update.
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »

I updated the game. (alpha v1.2)
It's mostly an update that fixes some modding bugs/glitches. It also adds connecting objects.
Jxlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

I updated the game. (alpha v1.2.1)
Added key remapping, fixed a bug that crashed the game when changing the sound below 70% and changed some little things.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic