Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:02:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNongon - An Abstract First Person Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nongon - An Abstract First Person Platformer  (Read 1284 times)
IndieGage
Level 0

is that a video game over there?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:49:58 PM »

I've been working on this game for over a year now, but I'm finally going to start talking about it more openly, as opposed to my secluded Medium page.

A little background on Nongon since this is the first post:
- Levels are semi-procedurally generated from a set of pre-made platform sections. Players collect a handful of 'nongons', the big lasers you see in the 3rd pic set bellow, and return them to their starting room.

- Navigation revolves around parkour style movement involving mantling, wall running, and of course jumping.

- My main inspiration for this game actually comes from Halo 3 and Halo Reach forge, where my friends and I would make crazy towers of pieces and try to trick-jump to the top of them.

I'll be updating the game a couple more times in the coming months, so keep up on itch.io if you like

Recently I've moved (almost) all my post-processing from a handful of individual effects to Unity's new post-processing stack, and the results have been amazing!

Old Effects

New Effects

Old Effects

New Effects

Old Effects

New Effects

The temporal anti-aliasing in the new stack needs to be dialed in but the effects are much better, such as the bloom being less...bloomy. I'm working on some new platform sections as well as more detail for platforms, which should be coming soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:54:33 PM by IndieGage » Logged

Currently working on bullet hell platformer Shred Metal Neon

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

Decided to take a look at the possible improvements performance wise I was getting from the new post-processing stack. I don't really know a lot about reading the profiler in terms of what is the most useful information. Anyways, take a look.

New effects, with only the new Unity Post-Processing stack. Specifically using AA, AO, depth of field, motion blur, bloom, chromatic aberration, and vignette. Also using a not stack Contour effect.

Old effects. Using vignette, AA, AO, analog glitch, tonemapping, chromatic aberration, bloom, and the same contour effect.

The performance difference between the two is small but noticeable. Any improvement is a good one I say.

Also, got started on some ivy. Here's the first pass.

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »

Working on The Director Interface. Director Interfaces are objects you can interact with that will be placed scattered throughout levels. Interacting with them will reveal information on the world of Nongon.

Here's a look at the ivy and stone in it's probably final form. This jazz will be all over everything to give it some tasty zest.

Ohmnivore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »

Looking good! Some color banding caught my eye though, and I'm not sure I dig the jagged and pixelated outlines. I think anti-aliased and smooth fits better with your low-poly style.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »

^ I think I agree, though I really like what I'm seeing. The terrain and setting looks like it will be a lot of fun to run/jump/climb around in!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

Looking good! Some color banding caught my eye though, and I'm not sure I dig the jagged and pixelated outlines. I think anti-aliased and smooth fits better with your low-poly style.

^ I think I agree, though I really like what I'm seeing. The terrain and setting looks like it will be a lot of fun to run/jump/climb around in!

Thanks! I'm torn on the outlines. Since the environment colors are flat it helps differentiate edges and where objects begin and end, as well as helping with depth. I can see how the jaggy outlines don't look the best though.

I've been trying to get rid of the color banding (mainly coming from the vignette) but it's been elusive, and not much of a priority atm.

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

Here's a shitty little gif of the Director Interface interactions I've been working on.

Ohmnivore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »

I find that the lines themselves don't bother me, and look cool actually, it's just the jagged part that clashes with the rest of the clean look.

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »

I find that the lines themselves don't bother me, and look cool actually, it's just the jagged part that clashes with the rest of the clean look.

Oh I see it now. Geez, I work on it so much I see right past these things. Fixed it though, I had the lines being drawn after the anti-aliasing pass.

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »

New platform featuring small pillars to jump between.

Working on an update and new trailer to push out this week as I plan to start contacting publishers.

NuSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 03:08:20 AM »

I like the ivy crystal stuff, it help making each plateform more unique and should help navigating and orientation for the player.
IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »

I like the ivy crystal stuff, it help making each plateform more unique and should help navigating and orientation for the player.

Thanks, there was definitely something missing before, but the ivy really fills out the look I think. Also, I just played your Non-Euclidean Room, good stuff, great aesthetic.

IndieGage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »

New alpha version is up on itch.io and on IndieGameStand

New trailer is also done

LINK

Pages: [1]
Print