Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:38:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioComposition software
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Composition software  (Read 792 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »

Hi all

I've been looking for a tool like this for years. Something that allows me to experiment with different scales and play around with chord progressions and make up my own rules and test them. Since the few software similar to that I ever found were too expensive, I decided to actually try doing one myself.

I got this super basic prototype working (link at the end) but it's still lacking the main feature. And since it's going to take a while to implement that and I'm getting impatient, I decided to ask for some feedback on the idea for now. Because I seriously have no clue if that is going to work.

OK, here's how it is going to work: you have a basic sequencer with a basic synthesizer thing. A stripped down DAW. Then there's this layer system you apply on your track. A transformation, like snapping notes into a scale, for example. These layers are programmed by the user. Then you can in theory stack layers and each layer acts on the outcome of the previous layer. You can share your layers and whatnot. The coding is done in a visual environment. I usually dislike those but 1) I don't think one needs that much flexibility for music theory. We're shifting, creating and deleting notes, not running parallel monte carlo simulations of protein folding. And 2) I have no idea how to allow for c# scripting of an unity project (I'm making this in unity). I know some games, like Kerbal space program, did it, but it involves some sophisticated coding like dll compilation on runtime. I don't even know if I used those word right.

At least in my head this has potential. What do you think?

If you want to play around with creating instruments and laying down notes without the ability to save anything, check out the current prototype at https://diegzumillo.itch.io/prototune

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic