Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:07:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHELLSCREEN -Retro FPS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: HELLSCREEN -Retro FPS  (Read 15774 times)
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »

Hello Tigsource!

I have been working on a Retro Doom/quake inspired game for the last couple of months (as well as some other smaller projects) and I wanted to share some progress shots.

The game is a fast pace FPS with elements inspired by Idle clickers and is being made in playmaker. I am an environment artist by trade and this is my first console game but after quite a few game jams I wanted to finally release a commerical product.

The game loop is pretty simple:

Start game > Kill enemies > earn credits > probably die > buy new weapons & upgrades > start game > progress further >probabaly die > repeat.

Below are some screens and work in progress shots of the game since it began development.

The idea behind the weapons was that demons were coming out of TVS and that light guns were the weapons to take them down.

During development, I decieded to drop the TV/Lightun vibe and go for a Low-rez giger vibe.

Apologies for the different sized images, I need to find a better solution for getting gifs and such.

Anyway, I will continue to post stuff on here as well as my twitter  (uk_resistant)

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:38:08 AM by uk_resistant » Logged

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »

Looks damn fantastic. Obvious comparison to devil daggers, but that's a good thing. The aesthetic is great.

Your addressing my main issue with devil daggers in that there was no progression. I hope theres lot's of cool weapons to buy. Also consoles only?

Also one request. Feel free to ignore it if you disagree. One thing I really dislike about retro-style fps's, is that they keep the horrible low quality sound effects. I would enjoy those games so much more if they had chunky modern SFX for guns, instead of some compressed sin wave.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »

low res geiger sounds brilliant, excited to see more!

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:20:35 AM »

@Rofb - Thanks! Devil Daggers is a big inspiration actually. I have been wanting to make a "Doom-clone" for a while and Devil daggers showed me that maybe I could do a much smaller interpretation for that.

The thing that I am adding to try and seperate it from DD (because it is a concern that I dont want to be a clone) is that the game has an actual ending so you can progress in that sense.

The upgrade system will include things like new weapons, a rear view mirror, double jump, etc etc, so as you play more of the game you should feel more like a badass. I love the feeling of accumulation you get in Idle games so other things you can upgrade would be how many credits you get per kill or having a constant credit per second ability.

I should clarify the console remark - I meant to say PC. PC will be my initial platform with consoles to follow possibly.

RE: Gun SFX - originally, I was going to have video game effects as I felt they fit the lightgun idea BUT as I move away from that, I find myself looking at Alien Triolgy on the PSone and that had chunky guns and chunky SFX so I think I will go in that direction. Thanks for the feedback!

@jctwood

Thanks! I will continue to post more progress shots!

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »

Yo, this looks really sick. Those skills are terrifying in the best way. I can't quite tell in the second gif, do they still move in the stop-go way? I like that, it should stay.

Also, I don't know how much it affects your effects (heh), but it seems like with this old school somewhat low res style, you could get away with way less polys on your models and maybe improve performance? But I don't work with 3d so I'm probably talking out my ass.

Anyways, excited to play this!

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 05:46:08 AM »

@Kris with a K
Thanks! It is interesting you say that about lower poly models. One of the earlier ideas I had was low poly with dithering like in Star fox but after some tests, I could never really come up with an effect I had full control over or looked good.

The models in there at the moment are place holder but I intend to have fairly low poly creatures.
Alien ressurection on the PS1 has a similar vibe to what I want. By the way, yeah , lower poly often can help performance.

The stop start thing was a early bug but I agree, looks cool so I might keep it in.

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »

So far it looks neat. I'm curious to see where this project is heading. Good luck man! Hand Thumbs Up Right

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »

Interesting project, cool idea the mix between retro and FPS.
Looking forward to seeing updates!

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

A chest infection has been kicking my ass but finally got around to some work today. Part of level block out, plus material tweaks, camera effects and some new models and textures.

I also ditched the lightguns and I am going to a Metroid style arm cannon but very alien and giger esque. When changing weapons, the cannon will grow and mould itself into the new weapon.

Here is a quick Gif

Cheers all!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:03:52 PM by uk_resistant » Logged

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:57 AM »

So part of the reason I picked a Giger style wasnt just because I like the look but because it allows me to create props quickly. Most of my props use a shared material and more complicated UVS to mix and matc shapes and patterns.

This is currently just using the Unity standard shader but I plan on creating my own in Shader forge and having some nice texture blending.

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:30:14 AM »

I did some extra textures and had some nice large tiles but then reduced them in size - the smaller size and repetitious nature of the textures makes the game feel faster and also more old skool!

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:47:51 AM »

This looks really neat.

I do think it'd be worth looking into changing the name of the game, since there's a video game magazine called Killscreen. Legal issues aside, it would probably cause a lot of problems with SEO.

Since the project is still in its early phase, this would probably be a good time to make the change.

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:22 AM »

@William Chyr
That is a good call. I planned on changing the name anyway because it was from an older setting of the game involving demonic televisions...

Thanks for the advice!

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:23:07 AM »

Been a while since I posted anything on here, but am plugging away bit after bit.
Did some rough level layout and added some sky stuff. I also did some stuff with the mirror

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 03:25:36 AM »

Been a while since I posted anything on here, but am plugging away bit after bit.
Did some rough level layout and added some sky stuff. I also did some stuff with the mirror

my advice for the mirror is only to keep the x axis. Let's take the case in which you fight airborne enemies or fight something at a higher level while attacked from behind by ranged enemies. Seeing the ground in the mirror will frustrate the player more than helping him. My 2 cents

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
dancinLion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

That's some really nice look you got there! I second the advice of axlfree, it probably is better if the rear camera does not rotate vertically.

Developing a turn based strategy & tactics game in a daft fantasy setting!
Twitter
Discord
Web
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 12:39:37 AM »

@axlfree & @dancinlion

That is great advice! I will get that implemented, cheers !

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »

Woah, this game looks really nice. Combining retro graphics with normal-mapping works a lot better than I expected. Smiley

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »

Been a while but I did some work on this today.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:17:53 AM by uk_resistant » Logged

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »

I really love this use of color. what are the enemies going to be like?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic