Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:44:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHELLSCREEN -Retro FPS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: HELLSCREEN -Retro FPS  (Read 15901 times)
NajibSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »

It looks like a mix of "Doom" with "Tron", it's beautiful  Tears of Joy

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2021, 03:40:14 AM »

Hi Folks!

It's been a long time since I posted on here but Hellscreen isn't dead and I am working hard on it (nearly full time infact!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what have I been up to this week?

Well, aside from visiting EGX in London, I have been working on various level design sketches for #blocktober.
Blocktober is a yearly event that happens in October where game designers post on Twitter work-in-progress versions of levels they are creating.
Sometimes they are retrospectives, sometimes it's for new projects but it is always interesting to see levels at an early stage.
I decided to participate this year as a way to keep experimenting with new ways of creating cool maps and to really push how Blender (the 3d software I use for Hellscreen) to be a quick way to build levels.

Below you can see how I sketch the initial idea using edges as well as using Blender's annotation tool to make notes. I like to do these sketches fairly quickly and get them 3D so I can run around them fairly quickly, so I can iterate and improve fast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As well as many 3D level sketches, I also have also been working on some abstract VFX for some entities.
These again are just at the prototype stage to test if I could get a rough version of what I want in my head working.

Below is a living machine type effect and really gives a weird vibe. I am looking forward to working this into other artwork to create weird creatures.

Here is a quick test I made to see how easy it is to get random light flickering using just shaders & textures. It still needs work but is a good start (and sparking all kinds of ideas!)

Finally, I put one of the newer monolith models into the map/quick travel system.
The monoliths all will be designed to feature an element from the level they represent.
The map area is still in its infancy but its fun to jump there and have a "world within a world"

That's all for now, hope you are digging the progress. Of course, the above is the tip of the iceberg as there is always little bug fixes, sketches and the rest which take up time. Stayed tuned for more updates in the very near future!

Cheers!

Jamie D
Hellscreen Dev

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2021, 04:54:38 AM »

Wow, this looks super neat. Love the style!

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »

Hi Folks!

This weeks update is a little light on account of my moving house! That being said, Hellscreen development has been going well, from a new character prototype, some new level sketches as well as some yet to be released marketing work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a new level layout that I am working on. This map section has been designed in mind to introduce the grub enemy (see later). That means more player gating and linearity in the early parts.
It's still early in the development process but I love doing these 3D line drawings in Blender. I have quite a few of these rough plans now and am looking forward to blocking them out.

Below is an example of one of these block outs. These let me test and iterate gameplay quickly to get the most fun out of the level.

I also managed to prototype some movement for this grub enemy. It's just a simple rig (3 bones!) but it's getting the movement right. I am looking forward to replacing this with polished artwork and some AI. More on this enemy soon!

That's all for this week but please do share and wishlist if you haven't already - it really helps out small developers like myself!

Cheers!

Jamie D
Hellscreen Dev
https://twitter.com/uk_resistant
https://twitter.com/Hellscreen_game

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »

I just stumbled across your devlog uk_resistant. Thanks for the update, I love the visual style of Hellscreen, the grub enemy looks great already. Keep up the good work!

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2021, 05:39:12 AM »

Thank you! Glad you dig it!

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2021, 05:43:16 AM »

Hi Folks!

As a follow on from the last update of myself moving house, progress on Hellscreen has been a little slow, particularly as my new internet has had some teething problems (grrrrrrrrr!)

I also managed to go to the Brighton Develop conference where I met some cool game dev folks. It wasn't my first develop but it also leaves me feeling buzzed!
Safe to say, after the last few weeks, I am exhausted but super keen to get back into HS development which brings me neatly onto the latest prop I have prototyped.

I bashed out a  spiked wrecking ball quite quickly (no texture work yet!).
These will cause damage to the player as well as enemies and can be shot to get moving (if you have the right weapon!).

Model shot of the wrecking ball in Blender

The wrecking ball is in motion.

That's all for this week but expect more in the next update as I finally settle into the new place.

Please do share and wishlist if you haven't already - it really helps out small developers like myself!

Cheers!

Jamie D
Hellscreen Dev
https://twitter.com/uk_resistant
https://twitter.com/Hellscreen_game

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »

Nice! The art style is unprecedented. Gentleman

gamesthatcouldbeworse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2021, 12:02:34 AM »

I read the interview in the E1M1 magazine some days ago. Very interesting concept! What is your feeling about the total progress?

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2022, 06:18:35 AM »

Total progress is hard to say! But I just started on it full time so progress will speed up regardless!

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to: