Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:28:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Any decent 2D engines?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Any decent 2D engines?  (Read 6440 times)
tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »

@hexdump I didn't want to sound harsh. Sorry if it came through as that :-P
I will give Godot C++ code a try to see how it works, but using yet another scripting language is out of my scope (same goes for GameMaker as an example).
I'm not saying that if there are no commercial games then it's crap. I won't use GameMaker for the same reasons as Godot even though lits of successful games have been released with it.

I myself have my own small C++ engine but maintaining it for cross platform is painful and a lot of work. Way too many Cmake scripts that need to be tweaked when I start a new project  and so on. The end result is that other engines are a better fit, especially when working for third parties.

hexdump
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »

@hexdump I didn't want to sound harsh. Sorry if it came through as that :-P
I will give Godot C++ code a try to see how it works, but using yet another scripting language is out of my scope (same goes for GameMaker as an example).
I'm not saying that if there are no commercial games then it's crap. I won't use GameMaker for the same reasons as Godot even though lits of successful games have been released with it.

I myself have my own small C++ engine but maintaining it for cross platform is painful and a lot of work. Way too many Cmake scripts that need to be tweaked when I start a new project  and so on. The end result is that other engines are a better fit, especially when working for third parties.

Agreed. This days I would always go for a third party engine that fit my needs. It is plenty of them. But no one is perfect becase we are not perfect either :D. We want to do things our way and engines ussually do their way.

Anyway, you didn't sound harsh. I just was trying to give my opinion on the subject. Sure yours is as valid as mine Wink.

Cheers.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »

Sounds like just c or c++ with something like SDL really would do. No need to complicate things.

Then you'll end up spending more time on making tools than an actual game.

If you want to make games, it's better to use an engine. Otherwise, it'll end up taking several years for any serious project.

Depends on the project, requirements etc. Doing things on a lower level do not automatically mean that you write your own actual engine (or tools), if the game is simple. It is definitely a risk and a trap I have stepped into a few times, but it is not the only way to code. Not knowing all the requirements, just going by the first post that did not say much more than complain about bloated engines and a requirement on pixel-perfect graphics, it sounded like there was a possibility that something more low-level would be the right choice.

I might have otherwise said Godot as others did. It has a very nice license and after not wanting to use it because of gdscript I decided to try it anyway a few months ago and it turns out I do not mind using it at all. It is just another programming syntax, no surprises, auto-completing editor. Really nothing to worry about (as I did). But I am not so sure about Godot and pixel-perfect graphics. I have some vague memory of some part of the documentation saying something that made me a bit worried about that? And I have only done a few small toys with it, so I do not dare recommend it 100% to anyone yet. And without evidence that the game is so complex that it could benefit from the added bloat (however small) and an extra dependency (always a big minus!) SDL could still be a better choice even if Godot is as amazing as I have begun suspect that it is.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 01:40:06 PM »

Godot is great. I can't necessarily recommend it to everyone sight-unseen. But it is capable, flexible, and has quite a few features. And for the more ambitious, it is fully open-source, so you are not limited by what exists by default.

I would specifically say that Godot is a decent 2D engine. I'm currently focused on using Unity 3D. But Unity 3D is definitely a 3D engine first, and has only had 2D tools added over time. While it can handle 2D rendering fine, none of the tools were originally built with 2D in mind. This 2D support has been improving, with new 2D tools getting refined and added with fresh updates. But 2D is never going to be the priority in Unity.

The opposite seems to hold true for Godot. It's suite of 2D tools were clearly some of the earliest features added. They are robust and very much targeted toward capable 2D game development. With Godot it feels like 3D support was added later, and that the 2D aspects are more polished. Everything you need for making basic sprite sheets, tiles, and even tile mapping are built into the engine and its interface.

I find Godot very easy to recommend to beginning developers. It doesn't have the adoption or support that engines like Unity have accrued, but it's plucky and feature-packed. Its miniscule memory footprint and cross-platform support are also very strong selling points. At this point it is one of the best options for Linux developers, as it is one of the only game engines guaranteed to have its interface work natively on that OS. I often say that Godot is to the game engine space what Blender is to the 3D modeling software space. It will likely never be the best or most feature-rich option. But it works, it's capable enough, it runs on everything, and you can achieve a surprising amount with it. Also, the fact that it's free is always a plus.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »

I remember hearing a future version of godot will have a c# layer. Am I remembering right?

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »

I remember hearing a future version of godot will have a c# layer. Am I remembering right?

Yup. It's coming very soon.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
_glitch
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »

Yup. It's coming very soon.

Yeah man
tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 02:55:31 AM »

It looks like there are quite some developers using Godot in here Smiley
Quick question for you guys: how does it work with Godot when you want to package your game for iOS or Android? Is there a custom tool of theirs?

hexdump
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »

It looks like there are quite some developers using Godot in here Smiley
Quick question for you guys: how does it work with Godot when you want to package your game for iOS or Android? Is there a custom tool of theirs?

Android: http://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/asset_pipeline/exporting_for_android.html
Ios: http://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/asset_pipeline/exporting_for_ios.html

Ios export seems a bit more complicated than android. But it can be done easily.

Cheers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic