Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:29:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTheropods: A point-and-click adventure game full of DINOSAURS!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Theropods: A point-and-click adventure game full of DINOSAURS!  (Read 1341 times)
Kostas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME JAM VERSION - PLAY GAME!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Genre: Point’n’Click Adventure
Estimated release date: 2018

Team Members:

Kostas Skiftas – Story, Animation, Game Design
Sarah Duffield-Harding – Artist, Game Design
Matt Frith - Background Artist
Zach Striefel – Music, Sfx

Featuring:

Dinosaurs
Pixel Art
Point and click controls
No dialogue
Dinosaurs
A cinematic story
Playable action sequences
Non-dinosaurs (humans)

Oh, and tons of puzzles

Story

Theropods is an old school, point-and-click adventure game, set in a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

You are a young warrior and the daughter of the Chief of a prehistoric tribe, one that has coexisted with the environment for generations.

But the tribesmen's lives take a turn for the worst when a radioactive yellow crystal falls from the skies and crashes into the village.

The crystal attracts human invaders, a tribe of bloodthirsty barbarians that claim the village for their own and worship the otherworldly crystal.

You barely manage to escape but you must now begin your journey to return to the village. Crossing hostile lands full of hungry dinosaurs, you have to use your wits and puzzle solving skills to defeat the barbarians and free your people.

FACEBOOK           TWITTER           TUMBLR

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:52:21 AM by Kostas » Logged

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »

You had me at "theropods" already,
then this followed

* Dinosaurs Addicted
* Pixel Art  AddictedAddicted
* Point and click controls AddictedAddictedAddicted
* No dialogue AddictedAddictedAddictedAddicted

WOW!!! Thanks for existing!
And, the animated pixel art is marvelous.

The game jam version, as you might be aware, has a small bug which doesn't let you replay the initial ambush scene more than once.

I think some pixel effect (like simulation of CRT monitors, maybe just scanlines) would look absolutely great here.
Also, you may consider to add variations of the "no-no" animation, maybe a shrug, or a "tsch", or a ponder-then-no, a mmm...
Although the repetition of "no-no" has its charm, I must say: very savage and direct.

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:54:45 PM »

This is great. Really like the visual environment.

For this style of game it seems you will be accessing the inventory a lot.  It would be less tedious if the inventory can be opened by positioning the mouse anywhere along the top of the screen.

SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

+1 for scientifically accurate feathered dinosaurs!  Beer!

Looks great, can't wait to see more.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left BlinkBlink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Kostas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »

Sorry guys for taking a billion years to reply!

I think some pixel effect (like simulation of CRT monitors, maybe just scanlines) would look absolutely great here.
Also, you may consider to add variations of the "no-no" animation, maybe a shrug, or a "tsch", or a ponder-then-no, a mmm...
Although the repetition of "no-no" has its charm, I must say: very savage and direct.

Hahaha is the CRT monitor idea to make it feel 90s? This might work.

And yeah since there is only sound to give hints, I agree that there must be more variations than just a 'NO' to at least hint to the player how close they are to solving the puzzle.

This is great. Really like the visual environment.

For this style of game it seems you will be accessing the inventory a lot.  It would be less tedious if the inventory can be opened by positioning the mouse anywhere along the top of the screen.

The problem with the inventory in our game jam version was that , since we don't use any text and the inventory bar at the top is small, sometimes you can't tell exactly what the items are, due to the low resolution. Our idea to fix that was a larger inventory area, so there is more resolution to work on the item art to make them instantly recognisable. To make it less tedious to open I guess is trial and error while playtesting to find the position of the inventory now.

+1 for scientifically accurate feathered dinosaurs!  Beer!

Looks great, can't wait to see more.

Thanks! Just adding feathers and teeth seems to work  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic