Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:35:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessRev Share Advice needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rev Share Advice needed  (Read 995 times)
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

If I am working out a rev share deal for a game that will have my music in it, how do I do it so that I actually get to see some money? Show me the money!  Smiley

Is there a specific service people use to have the money divided and sent to the appropriate people every time the game sells, is downloaded, or is generating revenue based on advertising?

Any advice would be great thanks!

MrTP
Level 0

Working in the games industry since 15 years

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »

Hi Steven

From my 15+ years experience it is very uncommon to use music tracks within a game on a rev share base.
Normally, the developer pays the audio service provider an uprfront flat fee and after that, no additional payments will be made by the developer.

Nevertheless, if you setup a rev share deal for your music, it depends on how important your tracks are for the game. Is it a music game, like these mobile piano games? Then your tracks would be a very essential part of the game and your rev share would be higher than if your tracks are just hearable when beeing the main menu of the game as background tracks.

To be honest: I would recommend an upront flat fee - this way you know how much you get for your work and you do not depend on the success of the game's success and the rev reports from the developer (= a matter of trust).

Wishing you all the best.

You don't make money by working on things; you make money by shipping things.
xinasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »

As long as you trust the team and have contracts (make sure you have contracts!!!) you should be fine. I've seen and heard of musicians usually getting between 8 and 15%, depending on if it includes sound effects or not, as well as the number of tracks/themes that will be in the game. If it's a very music centric game then this number should of course be more. Talk to your team though and find an equitable solution, but just use contracts to protect yourself!
Kater101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:57:11 AM »

As long as you trust the team and have contracts (make sure you have contracts!!!) you should be fine. I've seen and heard of musicians usually getting between 8 and 15%, depending on if it includes sound effects or not, as well as the number of tracks/themes that will be in the game. If it's a very music centric game then this number should of course be more. Talk to your team though and find an equitable solution, but just use contracts to protect yourself!

>>On the contract part<< Do take a look in the laws you have in your country about intellectual property.
I know in some country's the can still come back on contracts if it's not considered a 'fair deal'.
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »

There really isn't a service or a method that keeps track of and splits revenue automatically or that ultimately guarantees that you won't be ripped off, so trust is always going to be involved in a rev share deal. Like everyone else says, have a contract in place (even if it's a simple one page contract, but something), and make sure that you can trust whoever you are dealing with (perhaps you can ask for some sort of act of good faith, like a small advance payment, to ensure that they are serious about it).
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:58:47 AM »

A log of smaller games sell two versions. One cheaper without the music, and one more expensive with. If your collaborator plans to do that, rev share is probably not the best idea.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic