Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:08:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSquaserZ - a game about Squares and laserZ
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SquaserZ - a game about Squares and laserZ  (Read 872 times)
Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »

After failed attempts at starting a game project, due to the sheer amount of crazy ideas I tend to have, I tried to hear all the words the wise say and: try to keep it simple.

And as such, I have embarked in a journey to make my first project: SquaserZ.

SquaserZ is a one-goal game: survive as long as you can, avoiding everything red. The player is always moving, following a certain direction, and the only way to control it, is to stop it and move along a new path.

In your journey, you will have some cruel and outlandish obstacles, such as bombs, missiles, twin-evil-brothers and of course, laserz.

The cruel nature of the lasers.

The even crueler nature of the bombs.

Each round consists in surviving a specific obstacle, having some time to "breath" between levels. However, as we progress the game, there comes a time where a "Special Round" appears and a barrage of non-stopping obstacles come to try to kill us.

The special round.

At the moment, I'm considering doing a set of objectives for the player to follow, akin to what both Jetpack Joyride and Race to the Sun have, to keep the player interested in the game, and to create a more challenging task for me, as programmer.

I'm also trying to improve and change the effects in the game, so that it doesn't distract the player while he's playing.

Playtesting

For those willing to playtest the game, I highly appreciate it. You can do that HERE.

With more time, I'll edit this post further, but for a proper first dev log, please take a look at what I, at Sardine Corp, have written here: https://sardinecorp.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/the-problem-with-squares-and-laserz/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:40:34 AM by Vanethos » Logged

Twitter: @SardineCorp
Currently Developing: SquaserZ
Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:51:37 AM »

Devlog entry, January 9: Implementing further systems

Reflecting upon the decisions I make on this project can be hard.
On one side, I want it to be as simple as possible, to mark the first step in my path in game development. On the other hand, I want to make the best that I can, within my current abilities.

This is to say that, even though I had some feedback that the game is "good for release", I want to add a final touch: a simple objective-based system similar to the ones seen in Race to the Sun.

Objective 1 - Implement a Objective-Based System

• Before each round, the player is presented with a set of 3 objectives. If he want, he can try to complete each of those objectives.
  • When an objective is completed, a message appears on screen to give feedback to the player
  • The objectives have different levels. In the first level we are asked to "run" for 100 px, the next could be 500, for eg.

As such, I have created the following list of objectives types to include in the game:
  • "Run" for X pixels.
  • "Run" for X pixels without dying.
  • Reach level X.
  • Get killed by enemy X.
  • Complete a "Special Round"
  • Stay X seconds on the same spot.
  • Collect X objects.
  • Touch the walls X times
  • Touch a corner of the screen X times.
  • Do X impulses on one round.

Looking at the list, it seems that the objectives are "cliché", however I'm having a hard time devising more objectives with the current constraints of the game.

Issues and Questions

At the moment, I'm having some issues devising a UI for this game. At the same time, I'm having some doubts in whether I should implement a collectible system to unlock some skins/whatever. The following list gives a summary of the current Issues and Questions:
  • [Question] Should a "pause" button be placed on the game? I'm having a hard time implementing this, since the player could want to go to that particular part of the screen.
    • [Possible Solution] The "pause" button could be replaced by the "back" key on mobile phones and "ESC" on a computer
  • [Question] Are "collectibles" worthwhile implementing on this game?
    • [Possible Solution] If the objective-based system is developed, they could only be placed when the objective in question is active
  • [Question] What is the main goal of the objective-based system?
    • [Possible Solution] Each objective could give X amount of XP in order to level up. Each level could unlock either a skin or something else, to be debated.
  • [Issue] At the moment, it is possible for the player to get stuck within the pieces of geometry left by the explosions. I still do not have a solution for this.

Looking at the work ahead, I am curious to see how my programming skills will evolve.

Devlog entry -  END

Starting from this devlog, I will update the current situation of the game, and check if the objectives were completed or not. Furthermore, I will analyse in more detail the issues and questions and see if I could find a feasible solution for them.

Additionally, if possible, I would like to ask a question: am I proceeding correctly with this type of devlog? Or should I develop the issues more thoroughly? (I am using this devlog in order to improve myself and the game too, being this my main personal devlog).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:06:26 AM by Vanethos » Logged

Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »

Devlog entry, January 12: Creating the new UI

We start this devlog by reviewing the objectives set on the previous one.

[REVISION]Objective 1 - Implement a Objective-Based System

The objective system mentioned in the previous devlog was designed as a mean to add more value to the game. To do so, the player is always presented with a set of 3 different objectives to complete over the course of one single round or multiple rounds.

In order to do this, we have to develop a system that:

• Creates list with all the objectives.
• Ensure that each entry to the list has a list of atributes, such as "Objective Name", "Objective Level", "Variable Values to Level Up", "Text to Display".
• From the list of objectives, choose 3.
• Display each objective text on the "Main Menu" and "Retry Menu"
• For each objective, check if we have completed it. If so, give feedback to the player.

At this moment, without the UI redesign, the objectives are displayed as exemplefied on the image:

I honestly had some trouble designing the "feedback" to give to the player. At first, I tried to develop something with the "lightning" I added to the "SPECIAL ROUND" announcement. However, I was advised by a friend that this would distract the player from the game, possibly leading to its death, and hence causing frustation.

So, I tried to search for a new way of showing the completion of the objectives, and I turned to one of my sources of inspiration: "Race to The Sun", specifically the way it shows that a stage has been completed.

However, to enhance this feedback, since the game can have multiple effects displaying at the same time, I decided to add a short "Flash" on the screen before anouncing the completion of the objective.

The result can be seen here:

After the objective is completed, the "level" of the objective is updated, and a new "objective variable value" is presented.

New Playable Build
A new build for the game has been released, please follow the PLAYTESTING THREAD

Objective 2 - Creating a new UI for the game and enhancing the objective system.

After reviewing the UI of other mobile games and pc games, I have decided to create two UI menus: the "Main Menu" and the "Retry Menu".

The following information should be accessible from the menus:

• Turning the Sound on or off.
• Turning the Music on or off.
• Current Objectives
• Instruction to play the game.
• Check the Completed Objectives (possibly in another screen).
• Access a "Reward Menu" (possibly in another screen).
• Share the highscore.

Furthermore, the Mission/Objective system needs to be reviewed. Specifically:
• The objectives values must be balanced.
• When an objective is completed, there should be some feedback on the "Retry Menu" that this has happened.
• When an objective is completed, it should be replaced with another objective from the same "level", if possible.
• Implement a "XP System" for the player. Each objective earns X amount of XP. When leveling up the player is rewarded with something.

Issues and Questions

The "XP System" question was removed from the issues and question, since it will now be implemented in the game and tested to see if it fits the concept. However, the other issues and questions remain the same.

[Question] Should a "pause" button be placed on the game? I'm having a hard time implementing this, since the player could want to go to that particular part of the screen.
   • [Possible Solution] The "pause" button could be replaced by the "back" key on mobile phones and "ESC" on a computer
[Question] Are "collectibles" worthwhile implementing on this game?
   • [Possible Solution] If the objective-based system is developed, they could only be placed when the objective in question is active
[Issue] At the moment, it is possible for the player to get stuck within the pieces of geometry left by the explosions. I still do not have a solution for this.

Devlog entry -  END
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:48:02 AM by Vanethos » Logged

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »

I like how trippy this looks, pretty original mechanic too.

• [Question] Should a "pause" button be placed on the game? I'm having a hard time implementing this, since the player could want to go to that particular part of the screen.
I agree with your objections against a pause button, however there are Android phones without an hardware back key, there's a default software one that comes with the OS in a black bar, but players can also click it by accident and it takes away screen estate. Maybe pitch to pause for mobile? It's unlikely to happen accidentally during the game.

Pressing ESC for computers sounds good to me.
• [Question] Are "collectibles" worthwhile implementing on this game?
I agree with this.

Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »

I have to celebrate my first poster in the devlog thread! Thank you so much!  Beer! (even so one that probably speaks my mother language, portuguese!)

Thanks for the comment! I tried to be as simple as possible but to make it "different" if that could be possible.

I agree with your objections against a pause button, however there are Android phones without an hardware back key, there's a default software one that comes with the OS in a black bar, but players can also click it by accident and it takes away screen estate. Maybe pitch to pause for mobile? It's unlikely to happen accidentally during the game.

May I ask what you mean with "pitch to pause"? As for the pc version, yes, the default way is always the best.

As for the collectibles, I have already implemented it in this version and it seems to fit quite well.

To unlock some modifier/skins I am trying to develop a XP System from the missions/objectives, again to try to stay away from what I have seen most apps doing nowadays. However, I don't know if this is the right path to follow...

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »

You're welcome, what a coincidence that we share the same mother tongue. Smiley

I meant "pinch to pause", my bad. I thought it could work well to pause the game because it's a very specific gesture, so players won't enable it by accident even during a frenetic playthrough.

I like the XP system idea, it's a good way to track progress for the unlock items.

Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 03:41:10 AM »

It makes me feel even more "at home" here, which I have to say that it's what I was searching for.

Pinch to pause? That's a very unusual but unique way of doing it and that's why I like it a lot!

I'll have it a go trying to implement it and planing how to inform the player about that.

Again, I thank you for your feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic