Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:13:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSquaserZ - A game about squares and Laserz [Windows + Android Build]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SquaserZ - A game about squares and Laserz [Windows + Android Build]  (Read 911 times)
Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »

Hi all!

I'm developing a one-click game called SquaserZ, and I would love a little help in playtesting.

The builds

Android Build
Windows Build

For those willing to test it, I create here a challenge: reach level 15 (or another multiple of 5 higher than 15) and see if you face a Special Round. What do you think of it?

The game is for both Android and Window platform, with the main objective of avoiding everything that is red.

At the moment the collectibles are not counting for anything, but eventually they will have an objective.

Added to this new version is an "Objective/Mission System", shown here in the following GIF. For more information Read the devlog entry

The feedback corner

If possible, I would like some opinions on the game:
  • How is the balacing of the game? Is it too easy? Too hard?
  • Do you think the graphics and effects add or subtract to the game?
  • How is the player movement? Does it feel clunky?
  • Does the "beep" sound help you in knowing when the obstacles appear?
  • If you reached a Special Round do you think it's a good change of pace for the game?
  • If you played the game on Android, did you notice some slowdown?
  • [NEW!!!] Do you think the missions/objectives add value to the game?
  • [NEW!!!] Should a "Pause" System be added to review the objectives/restart the gane?

Thank you all for your time and patience.
Kind regards
Van

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:58:59 AM by Vanethos » Logged

Twitter: @SardineCorp
Currently Developing: SquaserZ
maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »

Hi!
Just tested the Windows build and reached level 11.
It's a little difficult to understand the gameplay at first, but once you get it it's fun!
This is my feedback:
- The balance seems ok to me, even though the square is a little too fast to be able to predict its trajectory consistently.
I'd like to be able to tap fast and know where the square is gonna move, but maybe I just need some practice: at higher levels if the screen is full of threats I just tap and hope I end up in a safe zone.
- About gfx I think is ok, maybe the lasers need some polish.. they are a little static considered their size.
- Player movement seems fine to me, just a little too fast as I said before.
- Beep sound helps.
- Haven't reached it.
- Played Windows build
- About objective-based system: maybe if you could create enough content around the gameplay it could add something, but also consider the risk of over-complicating a simple concept that works.

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »

Hey maiscrudo! Thanks for the awesome feedback  Beer!

If possible, could I ask you one or two questions?

It's a little difficult to understand the gameplay at first, but once you get it it's fun!

Do you think it's difficult enough that it should have a tutorial, or is it intuitive that after some tries a player gets how the game works?

I'd like to be able to tap fast and know where the square is gonna move, but maybe I just need some practice: at higher levels if the screen is full of threats I just tap and hope I end up in a safe zone.

So, in your opinion, it would be best for the character turn instantly when touching the screen (or very fast) instead of rotating like it is now?

About the objective based system:
I feared that too, but again, I felt like the game was a little too "bland" to keep the player interested. On the other hand,it is more of a challenge to me to see if I really can come through with it or not.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »

I played it some more and noticed I didn't get that you could actually tap where you wanted the character to go.
My bad, don't consider the first point about tapping of my previous message at all.
Also the game speed is ok now.

Do you think it's difficult enough that it should have a tutorial, or is it intuitive that after some tries a player gets how the game works?
In mobile games the first few minutes of a game are crucially important, especially if it's free, because in mobile players frustration kicks in extremely fast. If they can't understand how a game is played they simply quit and play another, and you can't afford that.
That being said, now that I understood how to play properly, I'd say it's pretty straightforward and maybe you can get away without a tutorial.

I ignore your second question since the game mechanics are ok for me now. Smiley

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »

In mobile games the first few minutes of a game are crucially important, especially if it's free, because in mobile players frustration kicks in extremely fast. If they can't understand how a game is played they simply quit and play another, and you can't afford that.

That's one thing that I'm always forgetting... I may ponder displaying a message rather than "click to start playing".

Thank you very much for opening my eyes to this issue, haven't considered it yet!

Vanethos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »

A new build has been added to the original thread.

The builds

Android Build
Windows Build

Release Notes
  • An objective/mission system has been added to the game.

Two new feddback entries have been added:

New Feedback
  • Do you think the missions/objectives add value to the game?
  • Should a "Pause" System be added to review the objectives/restart the gane?

For further information, please read the DEVLOG ENTRY

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic