Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:32:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinitris.io
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Infinitris.io  (Read 4910 times)
roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:00:33 AM »

Infinitris.io is a massively multiplayer online falling block puzzle game. Place blocks on a giant grid that expands and contracts based on the number of players ingame. Score points by helping to create and clear lines, and chat with other players in real time. Cooperate or sabotage? up to you.

Controls: Arrow keys and spacebar to manipulate your block, enter to chat.

Current Features (v1.2)
  • Instant join - only specify your nickname and you're ready to play.
  • Multiplayer. No player limit.
  • Dynamically sized grid with horizontal wrapping.
  • Mistake detection.
  • Sabotage other players by dropping on them.
  • Phase shift into gaps directly below you (hold the down key while your block is being placed).
  • Steal other players' cells by entirely wrapping them in your own.
  • Ingame chat [Enter].
  • Scoreboard.
  • Daily and all-time high scores
  • Account system allowing you to customise your block's colour and pattern.
  • Achievements (WIP)

Gameplay video

Links
Blog: https://infinitrisblog.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/infinitris_io

Old screenshots:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:11:52 AM by pyre » Logged

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »

Release 1.1

This time, I have a gif of some of my workmates and I playing Infinitris :-)

I've written a blog post about my journey from the previous release to now, feel free to have a read: Infinitris Blog - 1.1

1.0 -> 1.1 changes:

• New mistake detection algorithm - the player's block is now killed if they create gaps that can't be filled (Blocks around the player are no longer destroyed when they make a mistake).
  • Added "Phase Shift" mechanic - After placing your block, if there are any spaces in the grid directly below it that can fit the block, it will be shifted downward.
  • Added "Block Stomp" mechanic - Drop your block on another when it is in midair will stop your block from dropping and will force the victim into dropping until they hit the floor.
  • Added Minimap.
  • Added Number of players currently ingame to the landing page.

More minor improvements and bugfixes can be seen here.

Would love some feedback!

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:45 AM »

This is really cool.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »

I really like the idea and gave it a go, unfortunately I was the only one online.
overall its a very slow experience. I don't understand the vertical scrolling at all, maybe this makes sense if the stacks get very high??? I found it very confusing to play. there also seems to be a bug/feature where the brick you just placed disintegrates if you press space at the last moment. didnt understand why though (I did not complete a line and it seemed to happen only on the floor). I think if the single player experience was more fun to play, it would be more likely that other people would join in. I was only playing for about 2min, if I stayed online for 10 I might meet up with someone?

maybe you could have game spawn brick-layers with gaps coming from the bottom and the collaborative goal must be to prevent reaching the ceiling. If people start playing bad on purpose this could be an issue for the games-fun?

another idea might be this: every player has different color bricks (or maybe there are teams of players with the same color, when there are more players). if one of your teams bricks gets to the top, the other colors get a point. so the goal would be to prevent your teams bricks getting to the top, but getting as many of the other colors up high. no idea if that would work, but it might be an interesting approach to the game.

Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »

massively multiplayer online falling block puzzle game.

Well that's a first, never thought I'd read that sentence before Grin It sounds like a cool idea, but ultimately I'm not sure if this is something fun to play with friends other than for the initial kick you may get out of it.
roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »

This is really cool.
Cheers man. Beer!

I really like the idea and gave it a go, unfortunately I was the only one online.
overall its a very slow experience. I don't understand the vertical scrolling at all, maybe this makes sense if the stacks get very high??? I found it very confusing to play. there also seems to be a bug/feature where the brick you just placed disintegrates if you press space at the last moment. didnt understand why though (I did not complete a line and it seemed to happen only on the floor). I think if the single player experience was more fun to play, it would be more likely that other people would join in. I was only playing for about 2min, if I stayed online for 10 I might meet up with someone?

maybe you could have game spawn brick-layers with gaps coming from the bottom and the collaborative goal must be to prevent reaching the ceiling. If people start playing bad on purpose this could be an issue for the games-fun?

another idea might be this: every player has different color bricks (or maybe there are teams of players with the same color, when there are more players). if one of your teams bricks gets to the top, the other colors get a point. so the goal would be to prevent your teams bricks getting to the top, but getting as many of the other colors up high. no idea if that would work, but it might be an interesting approach to the game.

Hey marcgfx, thanks for your input.

You're right, single player is pretty slow and boring at the moment. It doesn't showcase what the game really has to offer. I think you're absolutely correct, if I want to make players more likely to stay (and therefore proper multiplayer more likely to occur), I have to make single player more fun. I'm open to ideas. :-)

Note that the speed of your block is proportional to your score, so if you just joined or made mistakes you'd likely be stuck at the starting speed.

Yes, vertical scrolling really kicks in when you have 5-10+ players. It's actually really cool at that point, I guess you'll have to trust me on this until things pick up a bit :-) Trust me, this game gets hard enough when multiple players are flying around attacking eachother  Evil

As to the bug, I haven't been able to replicate it. Are you sure you haven't been making mistakes? see the below gif:

In order for this game to scale, I have restrictions around how blocks can be played, otherwise it turns into a giant mess when the player count goes up.

Players are already assigned unique colours. I am going to add other game modes like you suggested though - I have some really cool ideas for team match! Kiss

The cool thing is that this game is to it's core very simple. I can spend a lot of time polishing and trying out / adding new game modes, like the one you suggested.

It's very early days so I doubt you'd be lucky to find a random person jump on right now. I designed it to be really easy to play though, you can just link a friend and they're able to join the game within 20 seconds without knowing anything about it.

In the next version I'll be storing and graphing some statistics like the number of players who connected per day and so forth. It will be cool to see how the popularity progresses over time!

massively multiplayer online falling block puzzle game.

Well that's a first, never thought I'd read that sentence before Grin It sounds like a cool idea, but ultimately I'm not sure if this is something fun to play with friends other than for the initial kick you may get out of it.

Thanks Mahn  Cheesy - you're right. I'm working on improving the competitive nature of the game which should hopefully stop the appeal of the game from quickly wearing off. Mechanics like block stomping work well when you have multiple players ingame, and I'm adding a persistent scoreboard in the next version. I'd love to hear any more ideas on keeping the game interesting!

Pyre

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »

I guess I was making mistakes, but it was not an obvious feature for me, so I assumed it to be a bug Smiley
about the vertical scrolling: maybe you can include it, when it starts to make sense. as long as I could see the whole vertical area, I don't see the point in not showing it.

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »

I guess I was making mistakes, but it was not an obvious feature for me, so I assumed it to be a bug Smiley
about the vertical scrolling: maybe you can include it, when it starts to make sense. as long as I could see the whole vertical area, I don't see the point in not showing it.
Yeah, I was hoping it'd be more obvious. I'll be adding a tutorial sort of thing in the next version which will teach the basics of the game before you start playing.

Good point about the vertical scrolling. I've disabled it when the whole grid height can fit on the screen (will be in the next release).  Beer!

Thanks,
Pyre

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »

I've been working with a freelance artist for a couple of months now and we've been making some awesome progress!
You can read about my journey and see some extra screenshots on my latest blog post: https://infinitrisblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/06/art-ahoy/

I'm working on getting the art into the game now and upgrading the user interface. Once that's done, I'll release Infinitris 1.2.

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »

Infinitris 1.2 released!

Gameplay video:

Artwork and effects completely redone, plus a whole bunch of improvements and fixes.

to:

More about the release can be read here.

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »

Alright, congrats dude! Gomez

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »

Alright, congrats dude! Gomez

Thanks! :-)

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »

I never played Tetris on a PC, so i'm irritated by the uparrow = rotate clockwise control scheme. I'd prefer to have two separate buttons for rotation. You could bind additional keys (WASD?) for more options on the controls in general. Like:

W/Shift/X/E/KP8/KP9 : Rotate cw
Ctrl/Y/Z/Q/KP7 : Rotate ccw
A/KP4 : Left
D/KP6 : Right
S/KP5 : Down

Congratulations! Smiley

Edit: Forgot the Keypad.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:43:57 PM by Zorg » Logged
roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:08 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Zorg.

Alternate control layouts are now in mostly based on your suggestions  Smiley

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 12:11:35 AM »

That was fast!  Grin
May i ask which ones were not included and why?

P.S.:
Your post made me dive into some keyboard layout articles. WTF

And learned that AZERTY is about to be overhauled (but will likely just be an AZERTY adjustment). Huh?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:19:16 AM by Zorg » Logged
roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 01:13:56 AM »

Haha, I think I'll keep using qwerty until brain-computer interfaces become viable. Blink

I didn't add Y and I made E/Keypad 9 rotate CCW rather than doing the same as Q/Keypad 7 (to me it didn't make sense to make the up arrow and the key to the right of up arrow do the same thing. As to the Y key, it seems out of sync with the rest of the controls to me).

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 01:32:09 AM »

Ah, okay. I suggested E/KP9 for clockwise rotation because it's the button on the right (and Q/KP7 = left). I'm associating "clockwise" with "right" or "to the right".

As you can see in the keyboard layout image, Y and Z are switched on the QWERTZ keyboard, if you don't need Y for anything else, it "makes sense" to bind those two buttons to the same function (i'm from Germany). See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ#/media/File:Latin_keyboard_layouts_by_country_in_Europe_map.PNG
roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »

Ah, okay. I suggested E/KP9 for clockwise rotation because it's the button on the right (and Q/KP7 = left). I'm associating "clockwise" with "right" or "to the right".

As you can see in the keyboard layout image, Y and Z are switched on the QWERTZ keyboard, if you don't need Y for anything else, it "makes sense" to bind those two buttons to the same function (i'm from Germany). See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ#/media/File:Latin_keyboard_layouts_by_country_in_Europe_map.PNG

Oh - that makes sense - thanks for the additional information. I've updated the controls  Smiley

pyre

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »

Definitely the coolest io game I have seen so far!

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 03:03:41 AM »

Definitely the coolest io game I have seen so far!

Thanks, that means a lot  Toast Left

I think it's still got a long way to go before it can compete with the likes of agar.io and slither.io, but that's the long term goal!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic