Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:46:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: A silly little RPG about a couple wishful monsters [dead topic]  (Read 4640 times)
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »

New topic coming soon for a huge direction change
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:18:51 AM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

I'm just now taking the first programming steps for my game.

I spent the last couple days perfecting the top-down movement system. It's perfect, and bug-free!

All I need to do now is actually plop the final art into the test sprites I've been using.

Now I'm planning my game to have both top-down and sidescrolling sections, so I think today I'm going to work on the sidescrolling controls and movement systems, set up two test rooms, and create the room transition script.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »

Made a cute little "quitting" animation

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »

Quitting is working. You have to hold it for about a second and a half, and then it executes the save and exit script.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Well, on the plus side, you've got the characters pretty well fleshed out! Sorry the previous iteration didn't work out - but glad you're still at it and looking forward to seeing how it develops Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »

Well, on the plus side, you've got the characters pretty well fleshed out! Sorry the previous iteration didn't work out - but glad you're still at it and looking forward to seeing how it develops Smiley

Welcome back Smiley

I'm staying positive. If I hadn't done all the previous work, I wouldn't have arrived to where I am today. Now I am just focusing on getting gameplay working, and forgetting about art for a bit. I probably won't impress anyone until my art is in but that's okay. It's better than impressing people but not having any gameplay yet.

Staying motivated:

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

I liked your art improvements in your other thread (the sprite in your avatar)! Keeping an eye on this, good luck Smiley Coffee

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »

I liked your art improvements in your other thread (the sprite in your avatar)! Keeping an eye on this, good luck Smiley Coffee

Thank you!! I love keeping an eye on what you're doing with Leilani's Island too :3c I just followed you on Twitter, didn't realize that I wasn't!

I'm setting art aside for now so I can define the gameplay, but I'll get back to it soon!

Speaking of gameplay, I just finished implementing state changing.

I can now switch from top-down movement and controls to sidescrolling movement and controls. Normally in the game this will happen between certain major areas / gameplay sections.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
defrobo
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »

I think you're going about it the right way by getting the gameplay down first. I've lost count of the number of devs who announce their game dev with screenshots full of flashy sprites, only to get bogged down in the grind and then disappear.

My advice is you keep your scope small, because shipping your first game (I'm assuming it's your first!) is going to teach you so much more, and will build your confidence.

Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this!
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »

I think you're going about it the right way by getting the gameplay down first. I've lost count of the number of devs who announce their game dev with screenshots full of flashy sprites, only to get bogged down in the grind and then disappear.

My advice is you keep your scope small, because shipping your first game (I'm assuming it's your first!) is going to teach you so much more, and will build your confidence.

Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thank you so much!

I'm only going about it the right way because I went about it the wrong way for half a year first lmao.

I've learned a ton and I'm just now putting everything into practice.

Hoping by next month it starts to look like a game. It's coming along faster than I imagined to be honest. I really like coding :3c

My scope is pretty big, but not monumentally big. The plan is a roughly 5-10 hour game with replayability. I'm aiming to finish it in 2 years (expecting to finish it in 3). The game will take place in roughly 5 major areas, with the first being the demo for the Kickstarter which will be coming Sep-Oct 2017.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

Got basic room types and transitions working. Also implemented parallaxing. Just a bunch of dev sprites for now.

Was annoyed at how the background looked in motion so I doubled the game's frame rate and halved all of my movement code accordingly.

This GIF is only 25 FPS but it already feels way better than before.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »

I successfully implemented slopes for top-down movement, it feels really good. I'm still considering a solution for sidescrolling slopes. I think if I have a slope in sidescrolling I will hide the slope itself with a foreground object like grass or a railing, so the character doesn't look like it's floating even though it is. That and/or shift the collision mask. I'm not planning on doing sprite rotation for standing on a slope (like in Freedom Planet for example). I also made another GIF of the basic sidescrolling system.

EDIT: I've thought about it and I think I'll probably end up showing the ground like in Heart Forth Alicia, that way I can have slopes without it looking all weird or having to do complex animation for little payoff.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:13:33 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »

Got the basic jump-through platform code in at a whopping 0 lines of code. I just added an additional check into an existing conditional statement

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

Jump-through platforms are now bug-free and fully functional!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »

I really like the alternation between top-down/side-scrolling modes. Nice progress with mechanics - I hate to say it....but I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like once the art is back in  Grin

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »

It's much easier for me to just think about programming as programming, and art as art, so I'm liking this work process a lot. I'm excited to get the art back in, too, as well as sounds and music!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »

Experimenting with top-down December. I think it's looking pretty cute already!

EDIT: Here's the "final" (until I decide to change a pixel)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:49:32 PM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

I'm ready to start doing the idle animations for these!

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
HoffmanIV
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

I dig the sprite art a lot! I'm trying to understand the need for a platforming engine though. Are you going for a classic Zelda-like approach where there are top-down and sidescrolling sections?
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »

I dig the sprite art a lot! I'm trying to understand the need for a platforming engine though. Are you going for a classic Zelda-like approach where there are top-down and sidescrolling sections?

Until the prototype is ready, this is the best explanation I can offer:

Right now the plan is to make an RPG/Platforming hybrid in the way that Undertale was an RPG/Bullethell hybrid.

And Zelda 2 is /very/ different from what I have in mind.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic