Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:47:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Requesting art critique of my current video game WIP
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Requesting art critique of my current video game WIP  (Read 1416 times)
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

All feedback is welcome  Gentleman

_glitch
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »

The black line around the character looks a bit weird...
And shouldn't the green gnome throw a shadow, too, like the objects behind him?
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »

Noted, I'll get rid of the outline.

I'm trying to convey that the redish-orange pieces can be jumped on but the player won't collide with the rest of the structure. So the shadows are my attempt to separate that platform from the front wall of the building.
_glitch
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

Noted, I'll get rid of the outline.

I'm trying to convey that the redish-orange pieces can be jumped on but the player won't collide with the rest of the structure. So the shadows are my attempt to separate that platform from the front wall of the building.

Ahh, ok. This makes sense.
Corus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:13:19 AM »

What does your color ramp look like? There is some shading on the characters but I can barely see it. I found my own method, I have 8 shades of greyscale (black to white), I overlay colors on it and then apply some contrast so it looks more alive.
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

I don't usually make a color ramp so maybe I ought to though I see your point that I need more value variation.
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »

Here's my latest version.

_glitch
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »

It looks better now! Beer!
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »

The angle of the shadows make me think that the building isn't aligned with the sun properly.

Maybe add something to the sides so the building looks like it was positioned properly?

Either the sun should approximately fill the room at high noon for the light, or the sun should be avoided for the warmer parts of the day. It looks like the sun's current path is to start from the southeast and move to the northeast, lighting up the building during the start of it's arc, and overhead the rest of the day.
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

It looks better now! Beer!

Slowly but surely  Beer!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »

Hi, I did a very quick paintover of your image to illustrate some points that I think might help.  Your current color palette has a tendency to make all the elements bleed into each other, meaning I can't tell which is the foreground and background very easily.  So what I did was color the background a little bluer and lighter to "push it back" and colored the foreground a little redder and darker to "make it pop".  This is a very quick paintover so the colors aren't perfect but I hope you can see how it distinguishes foreground from background and makes it easier for the players to focus on what's important.

Similarly I actually disagree with removing the outline on the character as it makes the character blend in too well with the background.  You want the character to stand out because that's what the player is looking at.  If the black outline seems too harsh then try colored outlines.  Hope that helps!

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »

Does make sense when you show the alternate version how the colors blend too well together. I'll keep this in mind when I redraw it and be sure to keep the background separated better.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic