Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:08:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBarbearian - Fast-paced hack'n'slash action in a colorful hand-drawn world
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: Barbearian - Fast-paced hack'n'slash action in a colorful hand-drawn world  (Read 45279 times)
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »

Log Entry #72

I finished the last real fight quests! I think they're pretty fun too. I also added a bit of story to them, just some simple stuff.

The game has grown really organically to what it is now, and one thing that is not really the way I want is the story. As in there are not any game changing major story moments mid-game. It's mostly just little things. It's a very gameplay focused "arcade" experience. If I was to start again from scratch, I would probably redesign the overworld completely so that there would be a much better player story progression through the game, but it's too late now. That'll probably be my biggest "regret" in what this game will be. But live and learn, you can't have it all with a no-budget game. Smiley

Then I've been doing a polish pass on things again, little things that come up all the time. I think I've gone way overboard with difficulty in some of the later levels, so I'm looking into that right now for example. I want it to be difficult, but not impossible. Smiley

Yeah and I also finished the final enemy (witch), it's a long range enemy that shoots "missiles" at you and tries to avoid you if you get close. It's only used in one quest, and not that much, but should provide a nice little last moment gameplay addition again.

Next week, I was thinking that maybe I should near-finish the menus and such extra stuff now, so everything's clear on the non-game front. That way I don't have to worry about that and can concentrate whatever time I have left fully on just making the actual game better. The only "must" content that's missing is the final boss and the game ending. Those things that do not affect the balancing of the game in any way so there's no hurry to get them in right this second though.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »

I haven't posted much gifts lately as I don't want to spoil the late-game stuff too much, but here's some random spam .gifs I've done of late.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »

Log Entry #73

Ok, so this week I finished the menus. At least to the point where I could release the game as such. There's a few things I might add/polish if I feel like it but everything major is done. Did some difficulty settings, camera settings (zoom, screenshake disable), controls remapping for keyboard and controller. And a bunch of other little accessibility settings. Not very exiting but it's done!

The rest of the week was spent on some gameplay fine tuning. Things like made the flamethrower start fires a bit further from yourself (based on tester feedback), previously you would just mostly burn yourself if you weren't extra careful. And other such changes here and there. I feel like the gameplay is starting to be in a pretty good place. There are obviously numerous things that I would like to change, but there's always a point in a game project where you just have to let it go. That point is getting very near.

Next week: The final stretch! I'll start the final boss and after that, the ending etc. That'll take a lot of time. No idea how much, depends on how ambitious I get. Smiley

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:20 AM »

Log Entry #74

So I spent the beginning of the week doing all the stuff needed for the final boss to begin (portals, NPC dialogue, some level desing etc.). The I started the final boss. I don't really have a super solid design yet, but something to begin with. Intro is done and now it's just gameplay that's missing. Lot's of drawing needed too, I'll probably begin my next week with that.

In other news, I've had an annoying flickering bug on the iOS build for some weeks, and I had no way to debug it as my two old iOS devices don't show it and my newer device was broken (battery bulged). So finally this week I got the new device fixed and was happy to find out that the bug showed itself on it too. Today I spent the majority of my time tracking that down. It proved to be a bit more "interesting" than I hoped for. Only showed itself in release builds for example.

I have fiber based multitasking in my engine so in one specific rendering task I do some stuff, wait for another task and then continue. It happened that if I took a variable to stack before the fiber switch, it got corrupted sometimes during the other task. After trying all kinds of stuff, I finally guessed that it was an optimization that did it, and just marking it volatile fixed it... but I could just as well move the variable below the fiber switch too. Fixed. Didn't go deep into what optimization and why it caused such thing, too little time for that now. I just hope it doesn't cause some invisible bugs somewhere else that I haven't noticed... I guess the bug didn't show on my older iOS devices because they run 32bit build and the newer run 64bit build.

Happy to have that done, was a bit of a mystery! While I didn't have a way to debug it, I guessed a few things what it might be (completely wrong), but a side effect of that was that I found I had understood a thing a bit wrong about OpenGL a few years ago when implementing a thing. So I had unnecessary double/triple buffering in some of my buffers. Removed that and maybe at least 10-20mb saved! Win!

Next week: Lots of drawing for the final boss encounter and also code/design for it. That'll take my next week I'm pretty sure. Unless there's some firefighting to be done with some new bugs again.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2018, 02:19:07 AM »

Thanks for the explanation! I love reading about technical details.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:26 AM »

Log Entry #75

It's been a week of final boss, not much to tell as I can't really show anything. I spent a day or two drawing all the new stuff needed for it, setting up the skeleton in Spine and desiging the level etc. Then I did an intro + the first stage of the battle. It's reeeeally hard for me to come up with anything fresh at this point anymore for anything gameplay related. I don't want to repeat myself too much, or what's the point anymore then. I think I came up with something cool, but I don't yet how well it works gameplay wise. I do so wish I could spoil this whole thing, as I'm super happy about at least the audiovisual side of the fight so far. It's a shame that maybe 5 people in the world max will probably bother playing the game until the final boss. Smiley

Aaaanyway, I'm about 1/3 done with it, but the rest doesn't need many new assets or basic setup so it's much faster to do. I'll still spend at least the whole next week on this boss probably, just to make it a bit more special I guess.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »

Log Entry #76

The final boss got done. I'm pretty happy with it, I wish I could just spoil it all as probably only a handful of people will ever bother playing that far. Maybe I'll do a "showreel" video for myself some time after release. Smiley

There are aspects of the boss that I wish I could do better, but lack of dev resources is holding me back. Such is life! Everything is a compromise. Making this kind of game has a constant feeling of "I could do this so much better if I just had double the time" - but if I did that, I would never get it finished. Hardest thing is to find a proper balance of getting it done and making it good. And knowing the important bits when to use that double time. If I would start again now, I would know much better again, but what can you do...

Then I did the ending story level. Just a simple stroll through with a few characters to talk to etc. So the game is pretty much completable now. Now I'm doing a "the end" screen with a few lines of story text for closure and I'll draw some picture for it too.

Next week: At least the ending picture needs drawing, then there's an alternate ending I'm going to do...

Just a few things still missing before I'll call it "feature complete" and maybe start beta testing. (I'll probably add more stuff, but the version should be something I could release as such in worst case.)

1) alternate ending
2) one "secret" boss
3) button tutorials for the controls
4) a bunch of sound effects
5) things I don't remember now

That's maybe 3 weeks of work? Let see!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »

Log Entry #77

A short week. It's "midsummer eve" here in Finland, so I'm cutting the week short and taking a few days of holiday now before the final push. I've usually at least taken 2 weeks per summer to travel or something, but this year I can't afford it and it's time to finish this so these few days will be much welcomed by me...

The ending screen got done, I wrote the end stories for both endings and drew a picture too to close it all. Nothing fancy, just some closure. Also did an alternate ending and associated levels etc. So all ending related things are now done and the game can be played from start to finish. There's only one "secret" boss missing, and I've started that also now. Just laying some ground work for that. I'm hoping that I get it done next week. And that is the last level I'm going to do, at least according to current plan.

That's it this time! Here, have a teddy bear. It's in the game too. Smiley

Quentin Delvallet
Level 0

Bonjour

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2018, 12:31:26 AM »

This sea of bones is gonna be so much fun to destroy Cheesy

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »

Log Entry #78

Alright, I had Monday off and then I've been just working on the "secret" boss. I've been a bit slow on this for some reason, but it should be done in a day or two. It looks pretty cool, but I'm not completely sold on the gameplay yet, I hope I can improve it. I have a few ideas.

Next Week: I'm trying to get the boss finished fast and then I'm going to start adding a big stack of sound effects to the game to finish the sound design. If all that gets done, I can start on doing some button tutorials and trying to smooth out the beginning of the game to be less confusing.

Btw. If there's anyone still reading these, is there something you would like me to write about? I could do one of those longer posts again if there's something someone is interested in. I feel like this has been a bit boring lately as I'm just making end-game content and don't want to spoil that.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »

Btw. If there's anyone still reading these, is there something you would like me to write about? I could do one of those longer posts again if there's something someone is interested in. I feel like this has been a bit boring lately as I'm just making end-game content and don't want to spoil that.

Yep still reading SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right Maybe you could do something like an in-depth look at one of the early levels of the game, how the enemy patterns and level layout were designed, and how the level is intended to flow when playing through it. I don't think you have talked about this sort of higher level of what the experience of playing a whole level is actually like.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »

Maybe you could do something like an in-depth look at one of the early levels of the game, how the enemy patterns and level layout were designed, and how the level is intended to flow when playing through it.

That's a good idea, let's see if I can write something semi coherent about it. Smiley

First, from top level view the game is made of "main quests" (traversed in linear order), then there are some optional fun as "challenge quests" and then boss battles. The main quests are what you spend most of your time in. The game is intended to be a very arcade type of experience, something that has the depth in the gameplay and not in loot, stats etc. My main goal was to make game fast, organic, a kind of controlled chaos simulator. Something that makes you play fast, but not be stupid at the same time. That's what I've tried to reflect in the level desing too.

TOP DOWN VIEW

What I want from a main quest is that it has to offer something new. A new enemy, a new building, a new gameplay mechanic or whatever, just avoid becoming grindy in a way that it repeats itself.

A main quest is made of three levels, of which I usually use random generation for two and a hand design the last one. (there are of course exceptions) One level is completed by killing all the "captains" in the level, these are units that have their own health bar visible. After you do that, you are teleported to the next level through a portal.

About the level goal

At an early stage I had it so you had to clear the whole level, but that was just boring and if you get somebody just idling behind a tree or something really annoying to find. Just killing the captains gives you a nice strategy option too, that you can choose based on your situation if you want to risk it and lunge at the last captain or clear others first or what.

A problem with that is that a lot of people just want to go around and hoard loot and check every corner of the level, so early on in the game, they find it annoying that the level ends when there's still some space to search. So to help with this I try to not have any super valuable items or hidden things in the level so it doesn't feel like you need do that to make it. But it's a problem because it's different from most other games which reward you for going to every corner.

I also tried that once you kill the captains, a portal opens and you can just go into it whenever you like, but that also encouraged people to just walk around the level into every corner, and I don't want that at all. I want them to charge into battle for fun, not walk around getting bored. So now the portal automatically sucks you in after N seconds.

GROUND LEVEL VIEW

In many games I find the designed "pulling of mobs" poor gameplay, i.e. you go one by one and then try to aggro one monster, back away and kill it and repeat. That makes the game feel really artificial, in that you're trying to game the computer not the gameplay. So, when designing one main theme has been "escalation" (controlled chaos). What I want is for the player to get into these sticky situations that escalate out of his control in a way, but still that it's clear why everything happened the way it happened. As this happens, the player has to prioritize what to take down next before things get completely out of hand.

Examples of things I do to faciliate it

- When aggroing one enemy, it wakes up the whole "army", i.e. units that are designated to be grouped together (in random generation, one army is one sub-map (see later), in hand made maps, I can create the armies manually).
- Then when placing these armies, the distance they are form each other is such that there's always a danger of you naturally waking up the next army
- Archers, naturally pull the player along further
- Static buildings (spawners / gun turrets), static things that are a danger and you have to go further into the level to take care
- Different enemy movement patterns in general, on moves away from you, one teleports around, one goes fast past you and etc.
- "Escaper", small enemy that gives you a good loot price + weapon, but runs away fast so if you want it, you have to charge into the enemies

Of course I gradually introduce more and more of these mechanics as the game progresses, the first levels just try introduce everything easily and by the second world I start bringing more and more new enemy mechanics etc. into it.

VIEW INTO LEVEL EDITOR

Here's how I edit the levels, this is the third quest of the whole game, still something that's supposed to be really easy.

Quest setup: here's what's in one quest. Three levels, each showing some stats about it (number of enemy groups, captains...) The first level introduces the concept of spawners for the first time, the second brings in dogs and so on.

One random level is comprised of N hand designed sub-maps (drawn in Tiled). Here I configure what sub-maps I want in the selected level (2x "Spawners: graveyard" and 1x "Fight: graveyard"). Each submap also has generic enemy and spawner placements, and here's where I configure how many and which enemies and spawners I want placed there (all enemies are placed by group, tier_1_skellington_melee is for example is a group of 16 basic skeleton enemies)

There's also a separate thing I use to configure if it has random elements like healing fountain, or the "escaper" placed into it etc.

This is where I select which generator I want to use to generate the overall level layout, here I've selected the "maze" generator. I've configured it to do 2x3 cells (one cell is 12x12 tiles) and that I want a lake in it + add 2 breakable gates into the path.

And here's what's generated from those parameters. You can see the lake, the spawners, captain, skeleton groups etc. For some reason it generated only one gate this time (not sure why! Smiley) (the player is a bit out of view on the top right) Another thing I do is when I random generate the levels, I try to place captains far away from the player, so the player organically goes through most of the level before completing, so there's one captain placed at the far left (beyond the screen) so the player naturally traverses the whole path. (the levels obviously grow much more complicated than this, but the same principle applies)

Then the last level in that quest is fully desinged in Tiled editor, it looks like this in raw view. Red areas are generic enemy placement sections. The purple areas surrounding them are grouping them in to "armies" (or aggro groups, whatever) Then there's one hand placed enemy (yellow captain). That's because I want the player to have to fight its way into the center core of that "fortress". Otherwise if random generation was favourable, it could put the captains as the first enemies after the gate and you could just pull them away and never have to deal with the real "level problem".

Well that's about it. Lot's of rambling, but I hope it was interesting. All this has kind of just evolved into what it is as I've gone along and is not optimal in anyway, but good enough I guess that I've managed to build this game with it! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:28:20 PM by gimblll » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:16 AM »

Log Entry #79

So let's see, I finished the last boss first. Then I spent a few days adding sound and finalizing the effects of all other bosses too. There's now 7 different bosses in the game, quite a lot in the end. Some of them are better than others, but I'm pretty happy about them all! Then I continued to move on with adding missing audio here and there, first I finished all the units and buildings, now I'm doing player weapons, just a few left to do. Then it's a lot of UI beeps and bobs and such, just filling in the random blanks. Deadlines are getting close, so I'm starting to feel quite tired again, just have to put it all in there. Currently there's 188 different .wav files, but it's close to finish. When doing this kind of masses of things quickly, there's bound to be a few sounds here and there that I don't really like, but gotta move on now.

The music is also now pretty much finished and mastered, there's 13 songs and 3 ambient tracks, so it's quite a massive soundtrack too, 36 minutes total! Lot's of hard work there too! Smiley

Next week: I hope I have all the audio and visual effect work finished soon. Then I'm going to rework the beginning of the game a bit, just to try to make it even clearer and add a few button prompts here and there. Then it's time to think of releasing a beta version. Probably should still do a few polish things and maybe one balancing run beforehand though.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »

Thanks for the write up about the level design, was interesting! Nice to hear details like not being able to peel individual units away from their army, that makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to playing it Smiley

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2018, 01:17:49 AM »

Thanks for the write up about the level design, was interesting! Nice to hear details like not being able to peel individual units away from their army, that makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to playing it Smiley

Glad that you liked it! It's quite fun to write such things as after this long development, you kind of forget half of what you've done so you get to go back and remember why all things were made like they are. Smiley

Log Entry #80

So this week first I finished audio desing for the game. That came up to 215 different sound effects (about 12mb of memory). I mainly use Adobe Audition to build them up from various sound libraries I've purchased.

Then I spent a few days improving the beginning of the game, I added button tutorials and a bit more tips here and there. Testers have been a bit confused at the beginning always, so I hope it's better now. I don't want to hold the player's hand too much, as I find that really boring, but I guess I went too far initially. Let's see how this works out.

Then I spent a day checking out why my iOS build seems much slower that before on the iPad mini 2 I have (that I had battery changed for). Day spent well, as I still have no idea. It's slowing down really randomly and it's really hard to do proper profiling on that platform, as my Mac is super slow and old too, so everything takes such a long time. I'm completly guessing that the device starts lowering the cpu/gpu frequenzies as it gets really hot... I wonder is it possible that the new battery makes it become hot easier as it wasn't any "official Apple service thing", I have no idea how they work?  Also, I wish I had more devices to test it myself (that iPad is the highest power device I have), so I could configure the graphics detail settings better. Now I'm just guessing which gets high detail and which get low and basically hoping that it's alright... Anywayyy...

Then just bits and pieces here and there, polish and balance. I'm just now playing through the game for one more time to see if there's anything obvious I should fix before beta. Like just now I noticed that if I fight a boss and trigger "rage mode", the rage minions will cause one of the bosses way too much damage and will end the battle before it even begun. Need to fix that.

Next week: BETA TESTING BEGINS! I'm just pulling all the strings together. Just a few simple things, and I hope I can "announce" the beta on Monday or Tuesday. Let's see!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2018, 03:59:19 AM »

Hello!

It's time for a quick beta test! If there's anyone who wants to help out, here's some basic info

Requirements:

- You are into hack'n'slash & arcade games
- You actually have the time to play it properly, not just quit after first level if you find it boring
- You're "trustworty individual" and you have some kind of real name online presence, and/or can in some other way convince me that you're not a random code hunter (I don't want to find my game on pirate sites just before release)

Platforms:

- Windows/Steam: if you have non-standard/weird hardware, good
  - game controller recommended, but keyboard works too
- iOS: the more different devices you have, the better (the game requires iOS8)
  - MFi controller testing a bonus

To join, contact me by e-mail at [email protected]. Let me know who you are and which build and on what hardware you would like to test it on. Beta test places are very limited and I will ONLY reply to e-mails that get in the test.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:05:19 AM by gimblll » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2018, 02:57:05 AM »

Log Entry #81

Beta testing has begun! (Still would be cool to a few more testers btw.) No major new issues discovered so far, so everything is looking good. One major issue that remains is that the graphics flicker on some legacy ATI GPUs, which sucks! I haven't figured out what it is, but I have a hunch that it's a driver issue. Unfortunately that driver all of those use is so old, that it hasn't been supported for a long long time, so I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll spend some time looking for a workaround still, but I dunno. I might just flag it that those GPUs are not supported... which would be a real shame, as the would be no other reason to support them. They have plenty enough power to run the game.

As for other things, I've been mainly just managing out-of-game thigns like I made a new short 30s version of the trailer that can be used for the App Store app preview feature, made some screenshots to the app store, and then I added Steam achievements to the game. Now I added proper button images to the control tip popups. And also made the game autodetect which controls you are using, so it can display the corrent tips (previously it just showed all). Aand fixed minor bugs here and there.

Next week: I think I'll spend a day drawing a few more props to a touch to a certain area. Then just fixing/polishing little things. I could maybe also try to finish a "1.0" version, so I could upload it to AppStore/Steam and set it available for preorder. Not sure if that's any use, but why not. Let's see. It's getting close to release! Smiley

Edit: Here's the new short trailer, straight to the action for the AHDH generation. Smiley

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:35:17 AM by gimblll » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2018, 09:21:03 PM »

Log Entry #82

Alright, nothing very interesting happening now anymore. I've been mainly doing some little things, like added a graphics quality setting on the PC build and doing little tweaks on game balance and such. Fixing bugs, though there hasn't been much. There's now a 1.0 version that I've gotten through approval for Steam and App Store both, so I could launch it any day I want now. But the release date will be 15. of August. I'll still do a few little things for the build. And I was thinking of adding one new shop where you can buy "mercenary" minions, just because I have the sprites for one unused minion type and might as well put it in there I think.

Put it up for pre-order on App Store too just so I can have a page to link to: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barbearian/id1351822099?ls=1&mt=8

That's about it. Nervously waiting for launch, two and a half weeks to go. Pretty interesting to see if anyone will like the thing.

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »

Crossing fingers for you, your game looks so great! Smiley

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2018, 11:03:19 PM »

Crossing fingers for you, your game looks so great! Smiley

Thank you! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13