Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:25:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBalance - Single-player/Coop fast-paced arcade game (Jam game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Balance - Single-player/Coop fast-paced arcade game (Jam game)  (Read 681 times)
meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »

Hi everyone!
I'm currently working on a game for the #7daydev jam on itch.io and thought I'd post it here for playtesting!

Try it out right here: https://stonecompass.itch.io/balance

The game can be played alone or with a friend.

You lose if: One of the circles gets to small OR you hit the bottom of the screen.

Survival tips:
- Focus on keeping the circles connected as much as possible, since they get smaller a lot faster if not connected.
- Eat the blue diamonds to get bigger.
- Use the energy pump button ("Space" for left player, "Left ctrl" for right player) to give some of your energy to the other circle.
- Prevent bumping too much into the yellow bars since you bounce off them and can lose control pretty quickly.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:31:23 PM by stonecompass » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »

I'm pretty confident its impossible to get more than a few seconds on this. If you want to make a super hard game people have to feel like they made a mistake rather than that the game systems are unfair. Also you need some kind of a tutorial to explain things because it is unclear why you get a game over sometimes.

meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

I'm pretty confident its impossible to get more than a few seconds on this. If you want to make a super hard game people have to feel like they made a mistake rather than that the game systems are unfair. Also you need some kind of a tutorial to explain things because it is unclear why you get a game over sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time to play it!
Yeah, I definitely need a good way to communicate the controls and how the game works.
It's actually possible to get very far, but I think the problem lies in the lack of a tutorial like you said.
I will try to make the game systems feel more fair and make them easier to understand.
And thanks again for taking the time and giving it a go! :-)

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »

Hi!
I just tested for a few minutes because playing alone honestly seems impossibly hard.
I like the concept though, it definitely has room for improvement.

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

I made it about 4 seconds about 10 times, then gave up.  If your gameplay mechanic isn't somewhat obvious, you need to have some explanatory text at a bare minimum, otherwise all your feedback is exactly what you are getting: "I don't understand your game." 

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »

Hi!
I just tested for a few minutes because playing alone honestly seems impossibly hard.
I like the concept though, it definitely has room for improvement.

Yeah, it definitely needs a lot of work and I might have to rethink the difficulty too!
I'm glad you liked the concept though! Smiley

meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

I made it about 4 seconds about 10 times, then gave up.  If your gameplay mechanic isn't somewhat obvious, you need to have some explanatory text at a bare minimum, otherwise all your feedback is exactly what you are getting: "I don't understand your game." 

Thanks for playing!
Yeah, I have now learned how important it is to communicate the premise and mechanics of a game correctly. Smiley
Appreciate you taking the time to try it out!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic