Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:06:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSo how does one become a good game designer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: So how does one become a good game designer?  (Read 1087 times)
Hambone
Level 1

follow on the twitter @The_Hambone1988

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »

I know this question has probably been answered a time or two; probably on this exact forum and probably all over the internets (yes, I said internets). But, I will ask anyways because well... I want to ask it from my perspective.

Background Information:

I am a 28 year old virgin (jk) male. I finished a degree in Computer Science a year ago from a local university. I am a decent programmer and currently work as one for a company that writes corporate card management software. I actually like my job, I actually love my job. However, I do long to work on projects (games) in my free-time for two main reasons: one, because I want to become a better programmer/smart, two, because I want to at least try to give something my own little whirl and see if I can't make something decent and maybe make a little cash. I have always been interested in game development, probably more interested in gamdev than actually playing games (this is another dilemma I face, I'll ask about this another time  Cheesy). When in school I took a few game development courses and managed to graduate with a few (shitty) games under my belt. By shitty I mean the design was horrible but I would say the programming was decent. I am very interested in low-level game programming (engines, game-play programming, architecture) but I know if I ever want to make a game I have to get better at the whole design part  Grin.

So how does one get better at game design? Subjective question I am certain but I am interested to know others thoughts.
Does one play and study lots of games? Does one simply just try to design tons of games? Do I read a lot for inspiration/research? Watch lots of TV? Free Write? Masterbate (you still reading  Beer!)? I am sure all of these will certainly help but I still feel like there is just something I am missing with the approach. Maybe part of my problem is a am a programmer and want an exact answer?
if (studyThisShit) amazingGameDesigner = true;

p.s. ignore my shit grammar plz. totes apprec.

Hambone

Wannabe indie game developer
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »

A big part of learning to design games is practice.  Make small games.  Either something with only a few simple mechanics (Like a simple puzzle or arcadey action game), or things in fairly simple, well-established genres (SHMUP, Platformer).  Start by just prototyping things (try to finish your prototype in a matter of weeks), let other people play them, get feedback, and repeat.  The first step to making good games is making shitty games.

Also, play other games and try to notice the small details that make them effective. 

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

Study mazes and labyrinths:

- Mazes for space and object.

- Labyrinths for narrative structure.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:41:32 AM »

play board games if you want to learn about mechanics
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:14 AM »

Also make board games. They force you to be simple and try to flourish in spite of limitations rather than face the intimidation of infinite possibility.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

make verbs meaningfully connected to the motifs, and not window dressing for generic mechanic or stat #293090980987

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic