Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:32:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhere did you start?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where did you start?  (Read 810 times)
IHeXeDI
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »

So I'm new to the whole game design thing. I'd like to know: Where did you guys start when you first started learning? What was the hardest challenge? Why didn't you quit? Any tips for a noobie like me? And what inspired you the most?

As for me I've just started learning. I thought I would go over the different areas of Game Design and then begin putting my thoughts of what I want to do on paper so that I can organize them into the realms of possible and impossible XD

My hardest challenge so far is just figuring out where to start >.< because there is just so much information everywhere! That and keeping motivated >.< thankfully i've set my goals low and will slowly set the bar higher over time.

As for inspiration, I'm inspired by rpg games mainly. Usually the older ones with an emphasis on story. I want to make something that can move another person the same way that Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia did for me. I want to make a game someday that gives a player that little flutter in the heart like Rune Factory did for me. It's inspirational to me. I like making people happy and video games make me happy ^^
kkairos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:38 AM »

Play, find out what makes you tick as a gamer, what doesn't, and why. Think critically about the systems. It sounds like you're drawn towards an emphasis on narrative--maybe examine whether mostly RPGs like Baten Kaitos move you, or also more implicit narratives like the one in Journey?

Does the play of traditional RPGs appeal to you? Do you prefer actiony offerings Secret of Mana or in-betweens like Symphonia? Do you like to explore? Laugh? Cry? Enjoy the scenery? Do you prefer intellectual challenge or reflex challenges, or a more leisurely experience? Do you like learning things about yourself or the virtual space you're in when you play games? Do you play games in connecting with others?

That might give you a notion of the kinds of experiences you want to create.

My recommended viewing, which most people here have probably seen a million times already, but in case you haven't:

Extra Credits on Aesthetics of Play - why different people play games. Based on your post I suspect you're drawn to narrative, at least.

Lots of Extra Credits has been good viewing in general.

That one Egoraptor video on MegaMan X I've seen too many times on level design/intuitive learning in games (warning: lots of foul language + cartoon violence on top of in-game's cartoon violence, in case those things bother you):

Ego has some other good thoughts, but many of them are strewn almost randomly throughout let's plays. Others would probably better grasp the merit of the Castlevania videos; I had mixed feelings about the Zelda one.

snomaN Gaming General design/good features to have in games in general (haven't watched all yet, but what I've seen has been good):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrSZDOvRCmRBLuY5_DPZ0xqdMonjbNjZ_

My recommended reading, Derek Yu on finishing a game (simply inspirational)
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game

Mechanics dynamics aesthetics (earlier Extra Credits video, the paper they reference):
http://www.aaai.org/Papers/Workshops/2004/WS-04-04/WS04-04-001.pdf

Recently I've also gotten into reading various interviews on Gamasutra where developers speak pretty openly about different genre ideas, the ways they try to implement good design in their games, etc. Cellar Door had a good one about their efforts at intuitive teaching in Rogue Legacy, for instance.

I got into design because of very old customizable game systems called ZZT and MegaZeux at a very early age, around 10-11 and 12-13, respectively. Slowly getting better over time. I would say start with something simple, if you're a programmer (more than me, which isn't saying much) and just make make make, discover what you like making and like playing. As a matter of fact, at this point I'm trying to branch out to more "professional" environments way too later on in the game, and I'm taking my own advice, my first target will probably be either GMStudio or Python for development.

I want to make a game someday that gives a player that little flutter in the heart like Rune Factory did for me. It's inspirational to me. I like making people happy and video games make me happy ^^

To motivation: I totally get that. I personally feel most fulfilled when I know someone legitimately enjoyed playing the game I made, even if it's not in my preferred genre, but I normally have to have enough interest in the final product myself, or at least its inner workings/system design, to get something playable done in the first place. Part of what motivates me is this existential desire to make something, anything beautiful to give to the universe.

My last piece of advice is make make make make make. As with everything it's going to start out crappy, but you'll notice yourself subtly getting less worse over time. If you don't, or you find you're losing motivation to improve, maybe there's some sub-section of game dev or design you're more specifically drawn to, or you might be one of those people that's a better critic than designer.

userXDev
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:50:59 AM »

I think for me it's been important to identify the audience, who am I making the game for. Be it a friend, loved one, community etc., or just myself. This gives me a goal for creating a game. What would they like to see in a game, what makes them enjoy it and how can I make my design better? It also helps me to narrow down the scope. I also think about great games I've played and what I've enjoyed about them most. These provide inspiration and keep it personally interesting.  Smiley
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

Start with something small instead of worrying about competing with games made by huge teams like the RPGs you like. Make asteroids, make tetris, pick something small you can finish in a few weeks. If you are very bold add a small twist to one of these old games but consider these like the bowl of fruit painters often paint when they are starting out. I'm not aware of anyone who made some grand revolutionary thing as their first project in any art form, games, literature, film, painting etc.

To answer your question, my first games were on the Texas Instruments calculators we got in middle school which basically forced me to take on a small scope. I made a bunch of mostly small original games like shooting in a goal or a symmetrical painting thing. Then I learned how to code in languages other than basic at a university in high school and made a space invaders kind of thing in java as one of my projects. I went to a good CS school for college and made a 3d version of an old game I liked that was 2d and continued to try to do better and better projects till now. Start small and then try to grow each time you make a project is the best advice I can give.

I have still yet to make a smash hit game which is really what I want to do the most so maybe I'm doin' it wrong. Hope this helps.

IHeXeDI
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »

Wah! Thank you everyone for the replies! The links, videos, and advice are really helpful.

I do agree in starting small as well. I think it's best to get a good understanding of a new subject that you are studying before you try to get all overboard creative (like I tend to do). I'm considering looking at some game creation software as well (stuff like rpg maker) though I would like to learn how to code as well. As for the artsy side of things I'm going to mess around with pixel art but I do have a small history with sketchup/blender that I think I will retake a look at.

Looking forward to more replies! And thank you so so much!

Ihexedi
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »

Yeah I was about to mention RPG Maker, good choice! Me I started making games about 3 years ago using Gamemaker without any programming know-how at all. I was (and still am) very dedicated to making games and have learned alot now. Start with tiny games which you can finish to keep the motivational flame burning. Big game projects tend to suffocate a beginners fire.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:01:39 PM by melerski » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic