Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:09:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPossible to use FEZ rotation mechanic without copying FEZ
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Possible to use FEZ rotation mechanic without copying FEZ  (Read 7214 times)
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »

Agreed. People will call it a clone no matter what. I remember after Minecraft came out even Terraria was called a Minecraft clone. The only way to break through that is to start making games with those mechanics -- after a few it just becomes a genre.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Howerpower
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »

I worked on a game with the rotating FEZ mechanic, but like you I just couldn't figure out a way to get past the "it's just FEZ" complaint.

It was a ton of fun to prototype, but I couldn't think of a way to expand upon what the game had already done.
Vulduin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »

I think there is potential to use the rotation mechanic in ways that aren't too Fez-like.

I thought about this myself a while back and for a couple of days I was really gung-ho about making a puzzle game centered around the mechanic. That enthusiasm didn't last very long, but I was able to whip up a few levels for a quick prototype.

Obviously the puzzles here are pretty simple, I was really testing out the mechanic more than I was trying to make awesome puzzles. But I think the third one shows that there is some potential when you throw in vertical rotation.

As you can see in the third level, combining vertical and horizontal rotation allows you to essentially change the orientation of each "view". In the third puzzle you need to do this to get onto the platform that let's you jump up to the goal. I think this concept opens up some possibilities that weren't explored by Fez.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »

I mean Fez wasn't even the first game to use that mechanic anyway. Crush came out for PSP in 2007 and uses a really similar mechanic.

And this one
I got this game

It was amazing
Later i was very surprised to see people thinking Fez invented it xd

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:04 AM »

I would recommend stating your inspiration up front.  Be transparent and say you're building on Fez's mechanics and adding new gameplay ideas on top of them.  Personally, I think roguelike elements or combat would be interesting to see.

Roguelikes are a good example of this, after all, the name literally says "this game is like the 1980 game Rogue"

The term "X-clone" tends to be pejorative, used to refer to games that are aping a popular game's style or mechanics (DooM-clones, GTA-clones, etc), and as ஒழுக்கின்மை said, its use  often correlates to how many games of a given style there are.

But if you are honest with your inspiration, I don't think there'd be much of a problem, specially if you make an effort to do your own thing, instead of having a grey alien named "Gonzalez" wearing a pink fedora and attempting to reconstruct a cuboctahedral pyramid.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

Also Breath of Fire IV used a rotation mechanic like Fez...

My last game:

Supporter of
flatingo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »

You know, I now have a similar problem. I'm doing the game (you can on my channel to see it), and I took the mechanics from the game FEZ. But, I realized that a little copy of the game. But then, I have added and changed gameplay mechanics. Now I have a game similar to FEZ and Adventure Island. Looks cool but my game is made in vector graphics. Now that sounds less like FEZ. Maybe you will add other elements from your other favorite games?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:14:17 PM by flatingo » Logged

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »

Given that FEZ itself didn't invent the idea (and moreover IMO it didn't particularly even use it well -- it mostly devolves into "run until you can't see a forward path, then mash the shoulder button 1-3 times until you see a path" because you have no ability to predict/anticipate the results of rotation) I wouldn't worry about this at all. Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »

Some new input… Over the last year or two I've constantly found myself coming up with ideas that I've soon noticed are already being done in existing or WIP games that already look great. At this point it seems futile to scrap everything just because of that. It does feel like a bit of a defeat, but what I can do is make my original take on the idea as I intended it, and differentiate it from the similar-looking games.

I've had the pleasure of talking to some of the developers of the games in question too, who've been encouraging me, exchanging ideas and ensuring me that they don't feel plagiarised (especially considering I really did come up with the idea independently initially), and it's been great to have similar minds to spitball with.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic