Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:10:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAutumn's Chorus - A game of lying and small adventures [Dead]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Autumn's Chorus - A game of lying and small adventures [Dead]  (Read 2614 times)
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »

Hi hi hi and welcome to the Autumn's Chorus DevLog!

What's is it?

An RPG where you are absolutely not who you say you are. Arriving in town pretending you're there to run the new Free Company, you've got to convince the town of the lie. In fact, your life depends upon it.  

What are the core gameplay ideas?

• You have a main objective that you can only complete by being in charge of the Free Company. New obstacles to both your objective and your lie will spring up regularly.
  • You must live in the town and run the Free Company. Taking on contracts or following leads is how you fund your main objective.
  • You must gain the trust of the town and keep up your lie. If you're caught out you will be arrested and turned over to the government.
  • Time moves on regardless. You can fail contracts and the main objective can progress without you.

How does it play?

In this RPG you won't be going on a world spanning adventure, instead spending your whole time in one town with time passing by and opportunities for local adventure popping up. Think Stardew valley with no farm. Not open world, but an open hub village with various adventure spots outside of it to visit via a map.

You play it like you would any other RPG, talking to people and interacting with the environment. Challenges will be stat and decision based, there won't be any QTEs or tactics battles. There will be a twist on this to keep the player involved outside of 'Welp, I don't have the stats for that so I guess I'm screwed' that I'll go into in a later post. I'm aiming to give people as true to a pen and paper style roll playing experience as I can.

What do I actually DO though?

You have a reason for running a fake Free Company. They're essentially adventuring guilds, and you're in need of adventurers to help you get to the bottom of the town's local dungeon. It's a big place, and will take many trips to get all the way down.

As these are personal expeditions, they cost money and resources. Though you will occasionally get commissions involving the dungeon, you'll primarily need to make money in other ways. Generally you do this by taking contracts from the town and visitors, or following up on leads you've discovered yourself.

If you're not on a contract you can spend your day building relationships, improving the Company or improving yourself. There will be various mini-stories around town to follow during these times. When you are on a contract it generally goes like this:

• Take contract/decide to follow a lead
  • Research elements of the contract, such as where you're going or the people you're going to be meeting.
  • Recruit Company members to join you on the contract. There will be a limited selection of recurring characters for this,  so think an RPG party rather than a Disgaea style army
  • Head off on the adventure in an instanced setting. Time will pass while you're away and each day will consume your supplies. You can restock in the wild by scavenging/hunting.
  • Once you're done, come back and get the reward. Or face the consequences of failure.

Will there be combat?

Yes! It won't be a tactics system though. I'll get into that in a later post.

Can I level up?

Yes! But I'm aiming to have as few menus as possible and I while I enjoy the realism of Elder Scrolls style systems, I hate the 'swing your sword a thousand times to level up swords' elements of them. I have some ideas to circumvent this, but that's for a later post.

What are you making it in?

Unity/Blender. I'm no programmer outside of making a platformer in GameMaker so I'm using Adventure Creator, Playmaker and Cinema Suite to help me Wizard of Oz the hard parts.

Is there an art style?

I'm trying to keep the art a little whimsical and fairy-tale like.

I'm using a mix of made for the project models alongside purchased assets that I'm adjusting proportions of and animating myself. I'm going to be using shaders and lighting to try to bring the differing art styles and quality levels together. Can you guess which is which in this screenshot?!

I'm almost 100% certain you can but I'm going ahead with the approach anyway because it's physically impossible to do this in our current space-time continuum otherwise.

Anyway this has dragged out significantly longer than I thought it would. I'll be updating with what I'm currently doing and my plans for combat/levelling/story etc as I go.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:04:34 PM by MegaTiny » Logged

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Update # 1 - Adjustments and rigging

In my first week of true development on the game I've been spending a lot of time homogenising my various assets to look like they fit together, as well as getting the major players rigged. This process still has a way to go so I thought I'd make a post about how I'm doing this and why I'm bothering.

Model Adjustments

As I said in my first post the game's art comprises of models and textures made specifically for the game alongside asset store items, which can lead to a clashing mismatch of art styles. In order to make sure everything fits together I'm adjusting their proportions in my 3D modelling program of choice: Blender. And of course I'm using Photoshop for textures because I was suckered into a subscription 1000 years ago that I keep renewing because I'm too weak to learn Gimp.

As I said I'm going for a slightly whimsical art style, heavily inspired by the likes of FF9 and Grandia. Here's an example of an adjusted model before and after:

Before and after the tanning salon

This is actually a model made specifically for the game, but since it's birth the entire art style has changed. So I took it into the shop and made it more cartoonish by:

• Shortening the whole thing down, especially the legs. As a man with freakishly long legs for his height I couldn't spend all day looking at my own insecurities
  • Expanding the size of the hands and the head to chibi-ish levels
  • Fluffing up that sweet 'do even more
  • Shrinking down the feet. I was thinking of Guybrush Threepwood when I did it and I like how it turned out
  • Making his accessories way bigger and more integrated into his body. They have a story impact and I wanted them front and centre

While I did this I took the opportunity to make adjustments to the topology of the model that make it much easier for me to animate.

Also note his super duper tan. I'm no phenomenal painter so this is just a hue and saturation adjustment to the texture in photoshop (the artist who made the original is though. You can check him out here and see a much better, properly lit representation of the original model).

Different models need different amounts of adjustments, but the main hurdle I've encountered is every single asset store item being saved as an FBX with scripts on the model (FBX is a file format used by a different, more expensive modelling program called 3DS Max). These get imported into Blender with thousands of random meshes sat doing nothing that must be hunted down and destroyed before you can adjust the model safely. Miss one and your model pretty much explodes the next time you try to load it.

Hooray

Rigging

I first learned to rig humans in Blender ages ago using the basic rigging tutorial by Sebastian Lague, and honestly I've never really used a different method to get the basics set up since. I've added some bits of my own in though so I'll go through the details of how I rig in Blender to get around Unity's weird integration with it.

The basic rig

So I set up in the same way most people would, by building a basic human skeleton. For anyone that doesn't use Blender or doesn't rig/animate I'll go through it. A (very) basic rigged human looks like this:

My only regret... is that I have...boneitis!

The head and body controls are self explanatory, you rotate them around and they move the bits they're nearest to. But the other bits use something called Inverse Kinematics (IK), essentially invisible levers that push around other bones and items. In this case I'm using an IK bone on the Arm Controls to shove around the forearm and upper arm. The wrist follows it perfectly and the other bones in the arm bend and stretch accordingly.

I'm doing the same thing for the legs. It's pretty neat and speeds up animation ten-fold.

The Pole Targets sit in front of the model, floating about in space. They act as markers for the elbows and knees to point at, which lets you move them to rotate the arm. This saves you rotating each individual bone, and ensures a smooth rotation. Like so:

You feel like a genius the first time you get this working

You might be wondering where all the other bones have gone in that gif. Well because I use the IK bones to control them, I can hide the forearm etc and make it easier to see what my model looks like while I'm animating it. Thanks IK!

With a rig like this made you can quickly import it to other humanoid models of all shapes and sizes and start animating way, way faster than if you were making one from scratch (Shift+F1 in blender in case you're stuck on this point like I was). Behold!

The same rig on another model. It too was made specifically for the game

The issue with Blender, IK and Unity

So all's well and good. I have a rig that I can quickly and easily bring into Unity. So what's the problem? Well Unity won't actually import IK bones when it adds a Blender file to your assets. It keeps the animation, but not the bone.

"So what's the problem?" I cry rhetorically once more, "You have the animation, why do you still need the IK bones?"

Besides shoving other bones about another great function of IK bones is that they can be used as targets. So I could have an IK bone where I want a sheathe to be and then have my characters sword target it during the animation, creating a smooth sheathing animation with little worry. I once spent a significant amount of time making cool crossbow animations, only to have my nightmares come true when the crossbow laid limply on the ground beside my character upon loading the scene. Unity also likes to use IK bones in scripts.

The solution is painfully obvious and I'm embarrassed about how long it took me to figure out: you just add another 'real' bone on top of the IK one and lock it to the IK position. Unity will then import that bone, and as it uses the IK positions you can just play pretend that it's an IK bone. But that fraud bone knows what it really is. And the truth of it's deceit hurts it a little more each day.

Anyway I've still got a fair bit of rigging to go this week, and then it's on to base animations so I can get the game going proper with more interesting updates.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:06:24 PM by MegaTiny » Logged

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »

Update # 2 - Super illness and back on track!

So my mouth got an infection which spread to my brain. Six teeth out, a vats worth of drugs and a couple of weeks in bed brings me back to this point. Which is exactly where I left off: getting started on the game properly!

To test my ability to look at a screen without fainting I got cracking on animations and getting the game set up this week. I just wanted to give a small update as proof of life! Here's a gif of the main dude running around the other dudes I've managed to animate so far (slightly low quality gif warning. Does anyone know anything better than licecap? It's pretty great for free but if there's something better that would be good to know):

The others do have animations, but I haven't set them up in Unity yet

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »

6 teeths at once, wow that's some hardcore shit, what kind of teeth infection goes to the brain?. i hope you're recovering well.

i really like the design of the characters. Is the duck walk intentional? looks ok when walking but the running animation is kind of weird.
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »

Yeah luckily none of my smile teeth; all four wisdom teeth and two of the ones beside them. The xray looked cool/scary though: little black veins creeping up the side of my head from my teeth.

Thanks for the feedback. It's funny you say that about the walk/run as I've gotten the opposite reaction from people I've shown it to: they like the run but think the walk is too goofy and robotic. The duck walk is, for now, intentional and an easy thing to adjust just by moving the knee target round a bit. I'm going for exaggerated run and walk cycles for everyone but am open to criticism, if it keeps popping up from people or it's too out there compared to other characters I'll change it

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »

Update # 3 - Weather and Day/Night Cycle

While I've been busy beavering away at animations I've also started learning how to use Adventure Creator and Playmaker on the side (as I know enough about myself to recognise I'll never learn C# or Java for Unity). They're both absolutely excellent and I've managed to get a few systems up and running.

Making it rain

A weather system is vital for making the world feel like a world, rather than a static series of environments. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to achieve it without any programming knowledge, but Playmaker plus a weather script from the asset store have made it super easy. Behold!

The transition is sped up so you can get back to your stroking your pet animal of choice

This can be called with one action in Adventure creator to create any combination of rain, snow, hail, sleet, lightning, wind and clouds.

Day and night

The game is supposed to take place over the course of a year or so, and it wouldn't be particularly immersive if the whole thing occurred during the day. So a day and night cycle was a must. Luckily that same weather system came bundled with one, so I'll be using that (on the same call system as the weather so I can set it as needed).

The character won't be quite this all-powerful in the final game

This too, can be called in using Adventure Creator whenever I want.

How time of day works in-game

One of this games stronger influences are slice of life sims like Harvest Moon. The most recent successful example of this sort of game, Stardew Valley, uses a timer that constantly ticks. You have a certain amount of time each day to get things done and this lends a strategy to managing both your farm and your relationships. I feel that following this kind of system won't work in this game.

The core facet of Autumn's Chorus is player impact on the world and story. A constantly ticking clock would create too much pressure to sprint around areas doing your busy work and quickly talking to all the people in the room before time ran out. While this is fun in a quasi-strategy game like Stardew Valley, it would just make player's stressed here. Instead time will only advance when you do something meaningful, such as:

• Head to a new screen
  • Spend time improving a skill
  • Take part in a more in depth interaction with a character
  • Stop to eat or rest

That list isn't exhaustive, but the idea is to give player's more agency over what they do with their day rather than a constant race against the clock.

And that's it for this update, next time I'm going to talk about something I'm very keen on: having the player take on a dynamic personality as they play.

Apologies for the low quality gifs in this thread. I'm using imgurs uploader and it's not amazing. Does anyone know a better way? You can watch higher quality video versions here.

Thanks for reading!

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

Update # 4 - Back at it!

All of these scenes in this post are first pass and due for more details. They are currently unlit. Cheers.

Life and myself got in the way of continuing with this project, but I've set out my priority list and began work in earnest. For the past week and a half I've been banging out environments in Unity that relate to the main plot thread.

Environment styles

As I have a large number of environments to make, I'm creating each one as a little diorama. Not only does this allow me to keep scenes small and improve load times, it also lends a style to the game that I've come to really like. Sometimes it isn't too obvious, such as in these two images:

This guy lives in the shadow of some ruins, he also moonlights as the tavern's bouncer and has a mild obsession with you

The life and soul of the town, you'll find different people in the tavern on different nights

But other times it will be clear that you're on a small stage:

The farmer's family home is also used as the town event hall

The ruined temple of Othalamos, the Missing Voice

And finally a little kitchen. You know, for food

I've made twenty scenes so far, with ten more to go in order to have all the town interiors complete. Then I'll be taking some time off scene creation to detail more dialogue, before heading back in to bang out the exteriors!

Thanks for reading!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »

Great visual direction in terms of character style and details! Smiley

Interestingly, I also like the running but find the walking strange.  To me, that kind of walking first better a "heavy" (i.e. someone fat or muscular) than a skinny guy like that.  Also, the slowish speed of the walk may not fit someone who's supposed to be more fit.

p.s. hope you're doing better after that health issue!

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 04:16:53 AM »

Really like that art style. As a FF9 fan, looking forward to this Smiley

Keep the good work  Beer!

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »

Great visual direction in terms of character style and details! Smiley

Interestingly, I also like the running but find the walking strange.  To me, that kind of walking first better a "heavy" (i.e. someone fat or muscular) than a skinny guy like that.  Also, the slowish speed of the walk may not fit someone who's supposed to be more fit.

p.s. hope you're doing better after that health issue!

Thanks a lot! Yeah I agree there is some dissonance between the two and I think you might be spot on that it's a consistency issue. Some people expect all the heavy gear he has to weigh him down so the run seems out of place, others see the thin character and think it's weird that he walks in a bulky way. Something to think about when I go back to animating again next month!

Really like that art style. As a FF9 fan, looking forward to this Smiley

Keep the good work  Beer!

Beer!

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »

Whoa what happened there, stuff started looking really nice all of a sudden! Post processing shader magic? How does that look like in motion?

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 04:59:33 AM »

Whoa what happened there, stuff started looking really nice all of a sudden! Post processing shader magic? How does that look like in motion?

Haha thanks! Yeah it's just a cel shader with very dark shadows on the models and an oil-paint camera shader. It all looks good in motion (I'll try and get a gif up later) with no weird blurring, but I need to work on the way light reflects off some surfaces as things have a habit of going into bright/dark extremes when they get too close to sources.

RobertGameDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 05:16:28 AM »

Wow that looks good. Gifs please.  Shocked
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »

Update # 5 -Giving your character 'character'

Today I want to talk about choices in the game and how they develop your character's personality. But first here's the promised gif:

Sorry for the potato quality, I have no idea how to make a good gif.

Building a character

In 90% of RPGs you play everyman person number seven. This blank slate is there for you to give a personality to. Will you be good? Evil? A little mix of both? And almost every RPG let's you make choices for your hero in order to influence this slate's good/evil alignment. Kill the child or let it live or what have you.

The problem for me has always been that none of these choices influence your character's actual, you know, character. You can normally flip flop between personality extremes on a whim. Sure you can build a villainous stealth archer who only picks mean choices, but there's nothing stopping you changing tact and being inexplicably, authentically nice to the next person you come across.

The dream

There's no real consequence for your actions bar some reputation drop, or maybe a one off quest where someone is dissapointed with you (and then, gasp, that person turns up later and is STILL disappointed in you/has lost everything because of your actions). Some games will gate skills behind you being virtuous/villainous enough, but those systems immediately take away the player's agency to roleplay.

I want Autumn Chorus to be more like a tabletop RPG, where you make a character and then you attempt to play their personality as much as their skills. And I need systems to keep this in check, and ensure the player doesn't feel railroaded into it or feel like the game has misunderstood their intentions in a choice.

So how is it going to work? Well there's two main elements that make up your character:

• Personality
  • Actions

Personality

As you make choices and decisions the game slowly gets a general idea of the character you're playing by tracking six sliding bars:

• Uncaring/Empathetic
  • Lighthearted/Serious
  • Calm/Emotional
  • Social Mettle (do you stand your ground or give in when confronted socially
  • Rude/Polite
  • Relaxed/Angry

In the first month you'll generally be free to choose what you want (unless you pick a preset personality, which will be an option). After this time your personality will begin to form based upon how you've dealt with the people you've spoken to.

You can go against your normal personality in day to day conversation (not everyone is rude to everyone just because they were rude to one person!). But in difficult moments, or conversations going against your type, the player faces a Will test.

Will is a generic stat in the game that starts at ten and is used for difficult tasks. Each time you rely upon it it drains by the amount the player is willing to use up. It's refreshed a little every time you rest or sleep. Being low on will incurs penalties to the player's mood and abilites, so it will be a balancing act.

Example conversation:

• NPC rather unfairly says you never live up to your end of the bargain
  • Player who normally just agrees with people to keep the peace (low social mettle) decides to stand their ground
  • Player fails Will roll
  • Player tries to phrase a response, but tears form in their eyes and they blurt out an idiotic response that doesn't help their side of the argument at all
  • Social Mettle drops even more, and Emotional rises

The tests are designed so that even the most emotional character has a chance of keeping their cool in a difficult situation, but when they do it should be an exciting moment for the player rather than just  the hero being a master of social manipulation.

Super fun bonus image of the hideously complex dialogue web being weaved

Actions

I hate it when I'm playing a game and I decide to do something pragmatic, then the game decides I chose that option because I'm cruel at heart and I become 'more evil'.

Here's how I'm getting around it: the character will question their own intention for doing extreme actions after they happen.

Example Action dialogue:

• Player and cohort are charged by a rampaging beast
  • The player decides to run, and the cohort stands their ground. Their cohort is badly hurt.
  • After escaping the player questions their own intention: 'Why did I run?'
  • Responds: I panicked when I saw that beast barreling down upon me.
  • Emotional rises somewhat

The game doesn't just assume you were sacrificing your friend as a peon to the game survival gods.

And that's it! By the end of the game I hope players understand the character they've created and act in their own best interest (or try to fight against their own nature for interesting results!)

So that's how you build your own character. Next I'd like to write about how the world will react to you and the way in which your reputation is formed within the village.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:19:42 AM by MegaTiny » Logged

MidnightRadio
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »

This looks really cool, and some gifs reminded me of the good ol' days of FF. Great job!
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

This looks really cool, and some gifs reminded me of the good ol' days of FF. Great job!

Thanks a lot  Coffee

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »

Apologies for bringing the dead to life, I'm just popping in to declare this officially kaput. I didn't take enough time to build a base structure before I went made creating story/animation stuff and got in over my head. I've been away actually learning some coding and blender tricks, and will be back with a new devlog soon  Beer!

Penguinoccio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »

is that articy?
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

This was beautiful, excited to see what you are working on now!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic