Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:36:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLittle Bug - dark, atmospheric twin stick platformer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Little Bug - dark, atmospheric twin stick platformer  (Read 2620 times)
BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »

Welcome to the Little Bug Devlog!
First, a brief intro: I'm Bela, the creator of the game, and right now Little Bug is in a pretty interesting place. In may of 2016, I made the demo as my first ever game. It did really well on Gamejolt and Itch, so I decided to take it to Steam and Fig. The demo is done and now the full game is on the horizon. What you will be seeing here is the the reconstruction of that original proof of concept into a new game. Many of the concepts will remain, but the source code, art and story are getting a spit shine to say the least. The full build was funded on Fig on Feb 9, 2017!! thanks for the support <3

So, about that alpha demo:

The sun is setting and Nyah is lost in the darkening woods. She is alone after her mom vanishes, but finds strength in a powerful spirit she can control with her mind. She'll need to master her new telekinetic ability to navigate through a surreal world between life and death.

With Little Bug's twin stick control system, you can simultaneously guide both Nyah and her companion spirit. Their connection is a multi-situational tool, allowing creative gameplay and fast-paced puzzles.

Full Build Features:
All screenshots and gameplay footage is from the original free demo. The full release is currently being rebuilt from the ground up, so you can expect a whole lot more:
  • Play local co-op with a friend!
  • Explore secret areas and alternate routes.
  • Blast through new obstacles, like melting barriers and movable objects.
  • Experiment with new abilities for Nyah, including friendly spirits you can control.
  • Considerably expanded visuals, collectables and animations.
  • Discover answers to mysteries presented in the demo as you play through the rich story.
  • Face off against an expanded cast of restless spirits and more!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:39:28 PM by BuddySystemGames » Logged

LA based studio in the process of making our first commercial release, Little Bug!
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:53 AM »

This game looks beautiful, best of luck for the Fig campaign.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »

Game looks amazing! Good luck Smiley

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »

Thanks for the comments so far!
Here is a little gif of the full build prototype. Messing with image effects and basic character movement for now.

LA based studio in the process of making our first commercial release, Little Bug!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

Love the art! That sunrise gif looks so good!

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »

Love the art! That sunrise gif looks so good!

Thanks! gotta love those god rays Smiley

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »

This is just crazy awesome! I mean the art is great and all but the detail that you've put into the animation and lighting is really special. Congratulations Bela! My Word!
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »

Love the art style! Slightly worried, though, that this unique controller usage makes it unplayable for me. I dislike controllers.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »

This is just crazy awesome! I mean the art is great and all but the detail that you've put into the animation and lighting is really special. Congratulations Bela! My Word!

Thank you so much. There will be even more detail in the animations in the full build. I'm really excited to work on that!

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »

Love the art style! Slightly worried, though, that this unique controller usage makes it unplayable for me. I dislike controllers.

Yeah, I hear you. Right now, you can play the demo with WASD, arrows and Space Bar, but the controller is still a better option. I've heard a lot of feedback requesting the "light orb" to be mouse controlled. I'm working hard on the code for that right now, so hopefully the experience isn't so varied between keyboard and controller.   Coffee

kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »

Really love the soundtrack for that trailer Cave Story ! And the game looks amazing as well.
BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

Really love the soundtrack for that trailer Cave Story ! And the game looks amazing as well.

Thanks, I'll let our sound person know.

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »

Blink NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT ART!! check it out! BlinkTop of the list for making a full little bug is really digging in to who our characters are. Nyah is an inquisitive explorer. Someone who is perfectly content being in the woods  discovering new worlds with childlike curiosity - but the loss of her mom coupled with huge lurking monsters shakes her. She's at home in nature, but the world around her is becoming increasingly supernatural.

We learned a lot making the demo. Nyah didn't even have a name when it was released, so we are starting fresh with some new concept art by our new artist, Cherylynn Lima.

In the full game, you'll be able to unlock new cosmetics for Nyah. We want to make her hair one of those unlockables, so Cherylynn drafted some pretty cute options. It was hard to choose the default look, but we decided on the top left because it shows more of her face and will provide some nice movement when physics are added in game.

The rolled up overalls on the right is the winner here, though the neck bandanna and hair on the left was hard to let go - but then, unlockables, so it all works out! The one issue is that she looks more like she's 12 than 8, but Cherylynn fixed that up with slightly bigger eyes and head in the next drawing.

Here are a few color options. The color palette of the game is closest to the four middle options, but we wanted to stray away from her having too much pink. There's never too much pink though.  Never.

And here she is, in her final form with her Little jar, about to be thrown into a surreal adventure. She may have options for wing types too - dragonfly, bee, ladybug, firefly, etc. What would you like to see Nyah sporting on her full game journey? Any suggestions or comments on how she looks so far? thx!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:46:35 PM by BuddySystemGames » Logged

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »

I think she looks amazing! All the colorful options fit in well with the colorful world you've created and the rolled up overalls ground her character. Loving it Grin
BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

I'm working on an update for the demo with new dialogue choices and sprites that'll be out this weekend. I also made my first ever Devlog/Tutorial video about making sprites in flash for Unity.  Crazy

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »

New Demo Update, greenlit and 95% funded! Toast Right

The demo now features a new mechanic - you can choose between dialogue options that affect your surroundings. Use your intuition to determine what Nyah says to the entities around her. Will she be welcomed warmly here or will her presence cause friction among the watchful spirits of her new surroundings?

This is a really basic version of what we are planning (we’d like to have voice acting for each quote to name one addition), but Nyah’s journey can shift in tone based on choices made by you. There is no right or wrong. Nyah is learning how to be adaptable while at the same time resilient and your intuitive guess at which phrase she will speak helps her to grow into a balanced explorer.

For Example:

…friction with the spirit world ensues.

Life is not fair and sometimes we make difficult choices. What Nyah says might antagonize the spirits, making her journey more challenging, or it may subdue them, making for an easier passage. Download it here

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

Looks beautiful!!!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »

I really love the post effects and sketchy neon outline! Look forward to more.

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »

: Beer! LITTLE BUG IS FULLY FUNDED ON FIG!!!! Tongue

thanks to everyone who has supported! Now for that first stretch goal... Hand Any Key

[/color]

BuddySystemGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »

Blink Check out Blink our newest Character design for Nyah by our artist Cherylynn Lima!
Check out the model on sketchfab too!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic