Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:44:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBest place and time for character progression in RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best place and time for character progression in RPG  (Read 900 times)
voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »

Lethal Running is an action RPG about a deadly game show held in a futuristic dysoptian society.
Kill or get killed. Entertain the crowd. Explore, loot, fight, survive in the wastelands, develop your character.

What we've got so far:

9 skills for developing your character.

You need to collect XP to trade in for higher skills. You get XP for various actions like beating the mad machine gun with your bare fists (just an imaginary example Wink ) or surving a cold night under attack of wild animals and the like.

The game is level based (a more or less open world is probably out of discussion). The higher the level the tougher the enemies.

So when and where is the best way for upgrading your skills, what are the possibilites, the pros and cons ?

Any idea appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:59:22 AM by voodoomaster » Logged
_glitch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »

Simple solution: let the player decide when to level up.
agingminotaur
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »

Depending on the overall design, of course. Eg. If your game has distinctive levels/"dungeons" the player passes through, that can be used to set the pace (something like a reward screen after each zone, where you get to buy new skills). If the player is collecting points to trade in for skills (where skill A might cost 50 xp and skill B 150), you can simply let the player purchase skills at any point, as glitch suggested. The choice would stand between getting skill A now, or saving up points to buy skill B later on. On the other hand, if your character progresses from level 1 to level 9 with skills scaling automatically, it's probably ideal to level up as promptly as possibly. I guess that's why so many (D&D-inspired) rpgs level up automatically whenever you have the xp, sometimes in the middle of a fight. It can feel a bit silly, but works well in many cases.

I've been pondering the same problem for my own game, which is more of an open world-thing. I don't want a system with xp for killing enemies, so I'm trying to connect experience to quests/achievements/something. One idea I had is to level up whenever the player explicitly rests for an extended period. Resting would cost time and resources, but also be the way to heal long-term wounds (pay to lodge at a saloon or hospital). Maybe I'll try a little "level up"-screen whenever the player rests, where they get to distribute skill points, depending on how many quests/xp-somethings they have collected. A player who has done poorly can rest to heal, but won't get any skill increases (and might even be penalized with stuff like war wounds if done too often). I'm quite unsure how it's going to turn out, as there are many moving parts, but I hope it can become interesting to play (or at least design Tongue)

As always,
Minotauros

homeTIGSourceitch.io
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »

The weekend.

Before any partying.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »

What I like about upgrading after completing a level is that you have a special rewarding event you can look forward to.
What I don't like is that it gives a fixed linear gameplay loop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic