Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:40:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[demo] Cyber Kitten - a shmup about a milkaholic kitten
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [demo] Cyber Kitten - a shmup about a milkaholic kitten  (Read 724 times)
AceWay
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:57:20 PM »

Hey ya fellow tigsourcers Smiley

I'd like to present you one of our first official projects that we are going to release (19th of Janury on itch.io) and ask you for your feedback by playing the demo that is linked below.

About the game itself..
We really liked the visual style of Downwell (black/red/white ftw) and the gameplay of Super Crate Box, so we told ourselves "We are game developers (supposedly), why should we wait for a game like this if we can make our own version".. so we did.

The story revolves around a milkaholic kitten whose milk bottles were stolen by weird space creatures.. which is the reason behind the kitten rushing to the space and slaying hordes of these bastards!

Avoid/kill enemies, collect enough bottles to get to the next stage and unlock new weapon.

Features:
  • 5 different stages
  • 12 weapons
  • 5 different modes
  • 5 enemies in two versions (normal/angry)
  • 3 different power-ups to collect
Below you can play the demo on itch.io, it contains one stage and a pool of 3 strong weapons to spice things up, normally you start with weaker ones and unlock them after completing each stage.
>Krazy Kitten on itch.io<

And some .gifs:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:09:07 PM by AceWay » Logged

th3shark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »

Thoughts I had while playing the game:

- Wow that's a small screen.  Some scale options would be nice.  At least it can be made fullscreen.
- Delete Data is spelled wrong.
- Oh cool it's like Binding of Isaac and Super Crate Box.
- Movement is super tight, but it could probably feel better if it took a few frames to accelerate to top speed.
- Wow these visual effects are nauseating.  Does the screen really need to curl up when you get an item?  It looks so bad next to the super retro graphics.  Ever since that one "juice" video came out many indie devs seem convinced that everything needs to erupt fireworks whenever anything happens.  Tone it down!
- As more enemies show up I noticed I can just hide on one side and pick off enemies as they round the corner.
- Most weapons included have an annoying long cooldown.  Not necessarily bad for the occasional super powerful weapon but I wish there were more quick weak ones as well.
- I only knew about the enemies getting faster thing if they're not killed because I played SCB before.  Here it's hard to tell because of the limited color pallet.
- The nukes are awesome!
- Projectiles awkwardly stay on the Game Over screen, probably not intentional.

Core gameplay is solid, but light on content.  Could use more polish and less obnoxious effects.  The biggest problem for me was the poor weapon variety, but that's probably expected from a demo.
AceWay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »

Thoughts I had while playing the game:

- Wow that's a small screen.  Some scale options would be nice.  At least it can be made fullscreen.
- Movement is super tight, but it could probably feel better if it took a few frames to accelerate to top speed.
- Wow these visual effects are nauseating.  Does the screen really need to curl up when you get an item?  It looks so bad next to the super retro graphics.  Ever since that one "juice" video came out many indie devs seem convinced that everything needs to erupt fireworks whenever anything happens.  Tone it down!
- As more enemies show up I noticed I can just hide on one side and pick off enemies as they round the corner.
- Most weapons included have an annoying long cooldown.  Not necessarily bad for the occasional super powerful weapon but I wish there were more quick weak ones as well.
- I only knew about the enemies getting faster thing if they're not killed because I played SCB before.  Here it's hard to tell because of the limited color pallet.
- The nukes are awesome!

Core gameplay is solid, but light on content.  Could use more polish and less obnoxious effects.  The biggest problem for me was the poor weapon variety, but that's probably expected from a demo.

Well, I didn't expect that comprehensive kind of feedback, I really appreciate it! So let's break it down.

- Wow that's a small screen.  Some scale options would be nice.  At least it can be made fullscreen.
Well, the game is designed in 382x216 screen, the window is resizable and it fits into the size you put it in, if (additionally to the fullscreen mode) adding the resolution options was what you meant I can include it in the full version for sure, actually I am stupid for not including it yet! If you meant increasing the size of the visible screen then it probably won't happen since the player would see things that he shouldn't see. However, if none of those are what you meant, please elaborate since I am a bit clueless when it comes to resolutions and stuff.

Fixed! :D

Yup! Haven't played much of Binding of Isaac though, but actually the way you navigate is indeed similar to that!

I tried that, I tried many different values, unfortunately nothing seemed to work, it just felt laggy/annoying for everyone that I gave it to playtest. :/

- Wow these visual effects are nauseating.  Does the screen really need to curl up when you get an item?  It looks so bad next to the super retro graphics.  Ever since that one "juice" video came out many indie devs seem convinced that everything needs to erupt fireworks whenever anything happens.  Tone it down!
Well, you said all that in quite opinion heavy & offensive looking way but I do agree that some effects were too intense. See, just when I play my own game again and again I don't even notice the screenshakes anymore.

I removed the warp radial effect for collecting items and when you collect milk bottles now only the score font flashes for 0.1s in a subtle way. I also reduced some other effects like the one on stage finish.  Please let me know how you like it now when you get chance to test the new demo build!

Yeah, there are a few tactics that are quite "universal", I am looking forward to balance it out and prevent those kind of things in the final build. Thanks!

- Most weapons included have an annoying long cooldown.  Not necessarily bad for the occasional super powerful weapon but I wish there were more quick weak ones as well.
Well it's a demo thing, the available weapons are a mix of stronger ones, the full version currently has 12 weapons where like half of them have basically no cooldowns (pistol, uzi, assault rifle, crossbow and so on)

- I only knew about the enemies getting faster thing if they're not killed because I played SCB before.  Here it's hard to tell because of the limited color pallet.
I will try to do something about this, what would you say about interactive tutorial showing how everything works?

- The nukes are awesome!
Thank you, I like them too! Credits go to my partner Darkeyed who came up with the idea for them.

Oops, didn't notice. It's already fixed.

Thank you so much for your feedback again, I mentioned your name in changelog section on itch.io since this was some valuable stuff from your side!

Till next time

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:31:04 AM »

Loved it! :D
I like the Downwell style a lot.
Soundtrack is spot on and controls are tight.
Weapons are satisfying to use.
I'd like a reaction to controls more physics based, like a little of inertia when I change directions and acceleration to reach top speed (but could also be the lack of kitty walking animation the real issue here).

Neat little game!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:38:47 AM by maiscrudo » Logged

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic