Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:16:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdebris -- Win Cash in Contest!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: debris -- Win Cash in Contest!  (Read 1031 times)
Ryan Taylor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »

The Week long Win Cash Contest
I'd really like to get some feedback, so I'm going to host a competition!

The players in 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place in tier 1 by the end of next week (2/10/2017) will win cash via PayPal!

How do I enter?
Download debris from the Play Store, select "1" and play!

Enough! What are the prizes
I'll use the scoreboard to determine the winners.
1st Place - $60.00
2nd Place - $30.00
3rd Place - $10.00

When does this start???
NOW!

Previously on TIGSource...

Ryan Taylor's "A Game a Month" Challenge

Games Released Each Month:
January 2017 Game: debris

History:
I started making games in 2004. I lacked the skills to program but had a creative mind. Almost 13 years later I now lack the creative mind. I've placed so much pressure on myself to have every idea become profitable that I simply stare at the computer screen.

This needs to change, I want to have fun again. My New Year's resolution is to create one Android and/or Windows game per month. To avoid entering the hole I've been in for over a decade, I have provided myself a set of criteria I must use for each month's game.

Monthly Principals:
* Keep it stupid simple, it's simple stupid -- Simple yet fun game mechanics is key. I don't need to create Dwarf Fortress.
* Simple graphics -- A major pitfall for me are graphics. I HATE making art. I will bypass this hatred by making basic graphics.
* Polish polish polish -- I've never made a game that looked polished/professional. I cannot be lazy once the gameplay is complete
* Disregard trying to monetizing everything -- I often come up with an elaborate plan to monetize my games before I start programming. No more. To clear my conscious I may add noninvasive ads.
* Concrete deadline -- A game a month is doable. No more pushing projects off to the next day.

With that said...

I started working on my January 2017 game last week and I'm having a lot of fun. Discussing works in progress has always lead to disastrous results for myself. To prove that I can complete a game, I will keep quite during January's development process. Once my game is complete, I will notify you all and will start a DevLog for February's project. I truly hope I can maintain my resolution throughout 2017 and see how far I have come at the end of this year.

Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:18:28 PM by Ryan Taylor » Logged

Games Released:
* debris

Thank you,

Ryan Taylor
Game Developer
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:36:14 AM »

GL, can't wait to see what can be done in a month  Beer!

Ryan Taylor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »

January 2017 Game

I am excited to announce the release of my January 2017 game: debris. debris is a fresh take on the manic shooter/bullet hell genre. You’re required to dodge the overwhelming amount of projectiles produced by... your spaceship. You are your future hazard; there is a zero chance of survival.

Please let me know if you find any bugs. Also, I love constructive criticism!

January 2017 Review:
At the end of each month I'll provide a write up on my monthly principals and goals for next month's project.

January's Monthly Principals:
* Keep it stupid simple, it's simple stupid -- This game started off as a complex shooter. After creating the basic game mechanics, I realized that it was fun on it's own.
* Simple graphics -- I hate making art, so I went with pixels.
* Polish polish polish -- It doesn't look professional, but it isn't an embarrassment.
* Disregard trying to monetizing everything -- Noninvasive ads.
* Concrete deadline -- Check.

Honestly, I had a ton of fun making and playing debris. I have never worked with Google Play Services therefore a lot of my development time went towards reading tutorials.

Fears for February:
* Lack of Ideas  -- As mentioned in my original post, I lack a creative mind. I have no clue what February's project will be.
* Complexity -- When I do have ideas, they tend to be overly complicated for no reason.

Games Released:
* debris

Thank you,

Ryan Taylor
Game Developer
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 05:14:11 AM »

I'll try it out Hand Any Key Congrats for the first one Coffee

Ryan Taylor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »

The Week long Win Cash Contest
I'd really like to get some feedback, so I'm going to host a competition!

The players in 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place in tier 1 by the end of next week (2/10/2017) will win cash via PayPal!

How do I enter?
Download debris from the Play Store, select "1" and play!

Enough! What are the prizes
I'll use the scoreboard to determine the winners.
1st Place - $60.00
2nd Place - $30.00
3rd Place - $10.00

When does this start???
NOW!

Games Released:
* debris

Thank you,

Ryan Taylor
Game Developer
Pages: [1]
Print