Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:06:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow do you like your feedback?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you like your feedback?  (Read 925 times)
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »

Hey everyone! This is basically my first time venturing outside of the Devlogs board, but I have a dire need of answers. I find that my comments on threads always seem too eager or too disinterested; too in-depth or not committed.

To all developers, what kind of input do you appreciate most on your threads?

People going very in depth with ideas and speculation, or is that seen as highjacking?
Minutely picking apart details of your game, or does that seem too critical?
Is simply giving a passing comment of support enough, or does that lack sincerity?
Asking questions of your process and technique, or does that leave you feeling used?
Is it disheartening when posters make an excited comment only to be never seen again?
Or frustrating when a regular will disappear?

Etc. etc.

I believe community is very important, and I would like to be a part of TIGSource (as much as I can). But social norms and expectations are a huge part of what binds a community together, and I always feel like I'm conducting myself the wrong way. Therefore, your feedback (on feedback) is important to me. Remember, you're my number-one customer.

TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »

inflating my ego is always flattering but i think i prefer nit picky comments . things i would have never guessed to fix . i could probably find the obvious but its the small stuff that can really improve anything

Sokom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

I'd prefer too much to too little.

I'd find it rather flattering if someone took the time to analyze and report back.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »

Same as I like my coffee
_glitch
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »

I like my coffee how I like my magic...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:47 PM »

inflating my ego is always flattering but i think i prefer nit picky comments . things i would have never guessed to fix . i could probably find the obvious but its the small stuff that can really improve anything

agreed

i think ego boosting comments are great as well tho. at least for me, knowing someone else cares about my work is a huge motivator.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:41:41 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »

ultimately tho, i think you shouldn't worry too much about it. the majority of people in the devlogs forum are happy to get any responses at all. the only serious faux pas i can think of aside from the obvious (insults and etc) would be trying to pressure a dev into accepting your feedback. there should always be an implicit understanding that feedback is "take it or leave it".
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »

Just be yourself when offering feedback.  The most damaging feedback would be dishonest feedback (good or bad).  If your comments are how you honestly feel, then all style of comments are relevant (enthusiastic, curious, neutral, encouraging etc).

BenjaWells
Level 0

Depth perception is overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »

If a dev's relying on just the one person for feedback, they're already making a mistake.

So I don't think you should worry too much when giving feedback, ideally it'll be one of many voices, boiled down into a conclusion by the dev. Which means if you do say anything silly, it'll hopefully be spotted by the dev.

Gentlemen, my lady... You will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Ben Wells making a game.
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I'm not messing anything up too much, so I'm glad to hear that.

Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

Personally I think that as long as you don't come across as offensive or pushy, any feedback is good feedback, whether that is in-depth nitpicking or just a compliment. I can't imagine that a dev would be unhappy about any of it Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic