Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:44:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How do you guys like to handle gib effects?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you guys like to handle gib effects?  (Read 2567 times)
AveryRe
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »

You know, like exploding bodies and the such. I have developed a pretty decent randomised blood splatter script (I'm working with the Godot Engine) that I'm quite proud of, but I feel if I add too many gibs the player could get confused even with a despawn function. I should probably also mention my game is a bullet-hell, twin-stick shooter.

I just wanted to know how you guys approached this or something similar in your respective engine(s) before I got about implementing some ideas.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »

You know, like exploding bodies and the such. I have developed a pretty decent randomised blood splatter script (I'm working with the Godot Engine) that I'm quite proud of, but I feel if I add too many gibs the player could get confused even with a despawn function. I should probably also mention my game is a bullet-hell, twin-stick shooter.

I just wanted to know how you guys approached this or something similar in your respective engine(s) before I got about implementing some ideas.
people these days probably do something different, but back in the unreal2x engine days if a body took enough overkill damage to gib you basically deleted the body model and spawned in it's place a number of random giblets that  basicly  spray out like a particle system, then leave bloodsplat decals wherever they rebound off of.  It's pretty simple and not too costly on the cpu but looks really satisfying when the bodies blow apart. It's really easy to scale too, just have two values for your gib timeout and number of gibs, the higher the values the  bloodier and more violent it looks but it's harder on the cpu and more cluttered, but all you have to do is change two numbers and tweak it until it looks right.   In general 10 gibs decaying at 30 seconds worked well. It looks even better if damage to the gibs after they spawn breaks them into more gibs, but this can cause lag if it gets out of hand (the timeout is so short it NORMALLY doesnt though)

there's other methods but this is how i always did it.

-Fuzzy Spider
AveryRe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »

That's pretty much what I had in mind, glad to hear it's resource efficient! As my game is top-down and 2D I was going to use Godot's inbuilt physics engine to push the giblets outward at a variable velocity. I'll have to post my results. Thanks for the response. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic